Control Voltage Inputs For Analogue Gear

• Would you use Control Voltage (CV) if the Virus TI supported it? 16

1. Yes (10) 63%
    2. No (6) 38%
    3. Not sure what CV is... (0) 0%

Analogue gear is becoming more popular, as a matter of fact my virus is the only digital synth I own... I think it would be really neat if the Access Team could do for the Virus what MOTU did for their interfaces with Volta. I know it may or may not be possible to do... but...

It would be awesome if under the section where you choose the input there was an option where you could choose CV Addressing and a drop down box would appear for the destination of the control voltage. Maybe a selectable voltage output (ex. 1v/octave or 1.2v/octave)

Then I could route my Moog voyager or euro rack modules CV outputs into the Audio Inputs of the Virus Ti and modulate sounds or controls, putting the virus in sync with my analogue gear.

Better yet that plus CV outputs! Route out the sequencer or arpeggiator to a Moog or a VCS3.

edit: I decided to add a poll with a very "analogue" synth community for better feedback: Muff Wiggler

• Let me check this, You want CV INPUTS for a digitally clocked Synth?
    The mind boggles.
    Outputs I could understand, although why Access should bother doing it,
    when there are dozens of other easier cheaper solutions. I Don't know.

• Let me check this, You want CV INPUTS for a digitally clocked Synth?
    The mind boggles.
    Outputs I could understand, although why Access should bother doing it,
    when there are dozens of other easier cheaper solutions. I Don't know.

Right... because I want everything perfectly clocked to my DAW right? That way I can add to the staleness of creating everything within a computer?

Why would Access bother doing it??? I don't know maybe I believe that perhaps Access wants to have a versatile piece of equipment that can be integrated into the modular world, how silly of me. I mean they do call their synth "Virtual Analog", meaning that its emulating an analogue synth... what better way to emulate something than to share some of the key features such as modulation?

How silly of me...

• Um, OK Mr Angry, all I asked was did you really mean inputs.

Why would a Digital Synth need CV inputs?
    I own several Analogue Modulars so I do know about them.

And yes why would Access bother when theres cheap boxes that do real CV conversion.

Also there are real technical reasons you wouldn't want to even try to.

• Mr Angry, that's cute considering you were talking down to me 1 post ago... anyway sure.

Odd that you own modulars but you don't understand the need for a CV input, everybody at muffwiggler seems to thing it would be a grand idea. Here's the thing Raz, when you've got your modular doing something sexy and you want to add your virus to the mix that's no problem. But if you want to modulate your virus with your modules... it cant be done.

Say my analog LFO is creating the pulse that make what my modulars doing sound so awesome and I want to split that signal and use the LFO to modulate my virus's filter too so that they are perfectly synced... cant.

A cv to midi converter will set the virus clock, but its doubtful even with that that the virus's internal LFO's will sync perfectly with the modular. Its more than doubtful

• I wasn't talking down to you, I think you misunderstood my question., It was a simple question of why.

I understand exactly what you are saying and still ask why, the TI doesn't run even nearly at audio rate so it won't do what you want.
    (the control smoothing is all internal I really doubt it could be sent easily as a stream).
    On top of that the TI has no feature even similar to base it on so it would be an entirely new feature and code,
    which I doubt the TI has resources for.

and here's the kicker, It would in no way improve the Virus sound. And would only ever be used by a small minority.

• I agree on a few points though I think that if MOTU could do it with already made interfaces than Access could do it. I find it frustrating that somebody with modular synths would still be asking why... distinct and unique modulation in sync without a DAW. plain and simple.

Regardless of weather or not it would happen its just a feature request.

• Wow!!

The TI is such an involved and evolved system, but the access of AT LEAST a proper CV input with variable voltage would IMMEDIATELY create a wild and unheard of palette sound from it!!! From a sound designer's point of view, it would be the next step in the evolution for a digital brand such as Access. Not to mention, the potentially new broad modulation scope of instruments at the input/side chained...

Once again, a really bold and evocative step for a digital musical instrument company, such as Access.

• Why would anyone wish using CV with a Virus... to make a TI a part of a modular analogue synth is more than crazy imho... leave the church in town and CV in the analogue domain where it belongs...

• IMO it's a great idea. but, unfortunately beyond what's technical possible with this hardware. sorry.

best, marc

IMO it's a great idea. but, unfortunately beyond what's technical possible with this hardware. sorry.

best, marc

Hi Marc

Apologies this is revisiting ran old thread... Was wondering if this was possible?

Can you elaborate a little on why? Is a not DC coupled Ti inputs and outputs thing? If so Expert Sleepers have added a Silent Way plugin to get around this issue. Could something like that be done?

Would be amazing to have a mod matrix source and destination for CV's

Cheers

Hugo