Beiträge von ChrisCabbage

Hi all,

I'm starting to look around for a Thunderbolt to USB adapter specifically for and dedicated to my Virus.

Kanex, Sonnet and Startech all seem to have models which do USB3 and eSATA.

Since I'm going for a Sonnet PCIe chassis, I'm leaning towards their unit.

Does anyone have positive experience with any of these adapters?

Thanks!

I think I've mentioned it previously, but my ultimate aim for this system is to buy a Thunderbolt PCIe chassis (end of this week hopefully), to host my 3 RME HDSPe cards with 3 Multifaces. The Fireface UC then gets used with my MacBook for gigs.

That removes some of the USB bandwidth hogging and gives me back my 24 analogue ins and outs.

At that point, there may be enough spare USB bandwidth to cope with Virus and dongles etc.

If not, I'll grab a Thunderbolt to USB dongle, which should give Virus its own dedicated connection. ...or I might do that anyhow next month.

That just leaves dongles and USB hosted MIDI connections to various modules and keyboards connected to the MacPro's USB.

I'm fairly confident that I'll have something working now that I can see Virus working as a plug-in, with Ableton.

I had Virus connected directly and the Syncrosoft dongle connected via my Belkin 4 port hub (which is meant to be MTT).

The dongle doesn't seem to like being on the hub at all. It's like that hub is adding enough latency, that the host thinks something has gone wrong and rejects it.

Of course, it could just be that this hub is too old hat, even if it is MMT with USB2 connection to the host.

Which model hub do you have Marc?

More info: that's with Virus plugged directly into the Mac.

Plugged in via hub doesn't work.

It's also still affecting the Steinberg dongle (dongle doesn't work with Virus also connected).

Ableton is OK though.

So - if I buy a Kanex Thunderbolt to USB3, I'm guessing that I *should* be OK.

I may have a way forward.

Just ran BeyondCompare on the 5.1.0.0 driver vs. 5.1.1.0.

...but the first obvious difference is 5.1.0.0 driver file is 71,492 bytes, and 5.1.1.0 is 175,136 bytes.

There is commonality (from the binary comparison), but the 5.1.1.0 version has a big block on the end, of what looks debug string data. It's probably a debug build.

In which case, it could be that the difference in size and addition of debug has moved a problem around either in memory, or the extra code has changed timing.

I'm sure Access are aware of that though. The null pointer issue might have been there for a long time, but the new release is statistically more likely to hit it.

...and I've just checked the MacBook Pro.

There are a couple of similar crashes on there too (Null pointer passed to the same function)!

Looks like it's a bug which has been lurking for some considerable time.

As to why it's being tickled so easily on my new machine - timing on the faster machine with more cores?

Here's your smoking gun from the Mac Pro. I have around 40 instances! Marc and the Access guys should have a whole load of these too. I gave them full diags dumps a couple of weeks ago. Marc also mentioned in one of the support emails that my MIDI driver was crashing.

The Mac Pro is showing:

227,992 bytes

Times: 21 October 2014 2:37pm

Also showing V1.8.0.0

...and I only got my Mac Pro about 3 weeks ago, so the timestamp must be for the driver release.

I'd say the time/date is a better indication of which release it is, if the versioning is wrong.

Same sizes though, which is interesting.

My MacBook Pro's Virus MIDI driver looks like:

drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 22 Jun 2011 Virus TI MIDI Driver.plugin

That's a very old timestamp!

Mac Pro to follow...

Edit: hang on, that's a directory! Do you want the size of the contents of the directory?

Edit2: Ah - shouldn't have used the terminal. Here.s what Finder tells me:

Size: 227,922 bytes
    Date as per command line
    It's showing as V1.8.0.0

Close to what's happening I think.

I need to take my daughter somwhwre this evening, but will try and check things out when I get back.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure of, is if I had 5.1.0.0 on my MacBook. I *might* have gone from 5.0.8.0 straight to 5.1.1.0. The effect should be similar though, from what you've described.