Beiträge von jeffery

Thanks so much for the reply Jörg.

I did end up having success fixing the problem this evening.
    As you suggested via email, the problem seems to have been the keyboard bed.

I carefully unscrewed the virus, removed the keyboard, disassembled it and cleaned all parts of it - using alcohol where necessary.

I discovered that the two long green circuit boards on the back of the keyboard (which carry the rubber contacts) where full of black soot particles if unknown origin.
    I am assuming that this dirt might have created unwanted electrical contacts and changed the resistance/impedance.

What I used to clean it off was mostly kitchen wipes, sometimes with a little alcohol.
    I tried to stay away form the black contacts that are touched by the rubber keys.
    I did remove and reattach the rubbers however in order to make sure there were no particles left underneath.
    (btw - Re-attaching the rubber elements works with a thin metal piece, like a nail, best with flattened tip).

Summarizing, it seems the problem of uneven velocity response in our case was caused by:
    Dirt on the electrical circuit in the keyboard bed.
    Not under the rubber switches themselves, but around the soldering contacts on the circuit.

The work I had to do to clean it up was pretty extensive, and of course doing this there is never a guarantee that one doesn't end up doing more harm than good,
    so I can probably recommend leaving this kind of repair to an official workshop.

Really glad that it works again now though. :thumbup:

Hi,

we discovered yesterday that on our Virus TI (1), there are three keys responding differently to playing velocity than others.
    They react much stronger - making sound programs that use velocity difficult ("dangerous") to play.
    Mechanically, they "feel" the same as the other keys, they just seem to translate the velocity in a different way.
    Since the problem is shared between sound programs, it is to be assumed that this is a hardware/calibration problem.

(The keys are distributed over the keyboard G#2, F#3 and C4 counting from the lowest key on the 61-note keyboard as C1)

What could the cause be and how would one go about fixing this?