Beiträge von LfmC

Optimism is great, but this issue has really been making my Virus useless for the past few months. It also makes Cubase 5 more sluggish than it should be whenever the Virus is playing sounds, which makes it a less convenient option than most softsynths. I bought it for the total integration and virus control, and so far it isn't delivering. I've been contemplating the idea of returning to XP but my production computer is also used for some of my work so it would be a huge pain to go back.

I really cannot wait till this thing is fixed and I'm glad I'm not the only one. Would be cool to have a rough idea of what's going on with this fix they're working on.

Access have been slowly working on it ever since they added x64 support, so they ARE working on it, but from what I can tell, it's not as simple to fix as most bugs. It's already much better than it was, but unfortunately, still not good enough...

An official progress update would be nice.

do you mean after a while the UI gets more sluggish or after a while it starts getting on your nerves?

thanks, marc

After a while it starts getting on your nerves :)
    Especially whenever small precise tweaks are needed. Almost like you have to move-wait-look for every tweak, as there is a small but noticeable lag between the mouse move and GUI visual feedback.
    It's nowhere near as bad as it was on the 1st VC 64bit beta release, but also far from the fluid movement in 32bit version of VC/cubase/windowsXP.

EDIT:
    another capture, this is from a mid sized project (during playback) showing the lagging and choppy movement much better:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/6246bk

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Access virus! ;)

1st thing's 1st:
    FLstudio is an amazing software studio capable of 99.9% of the same things as a program like Cubase/Logic. I know this from extensive personal experience from working in all mentioned programs. And I'm not even gonna go into the mac/PC debate... the biggest bunch of BS created and fed by ignorant people.
    So these things should not bother you at all. The FACT is you can make a professional quality track using FLStudio with no extra effort needed compared to other DAW's... as long as you know what you're doing and know the program well.

About the LIVE Button... AFAIK it lowers the latency of the virus plugin as much as possible. I never used it as it's not needed in cubase, but you should check the PDF manual for it's use; I think it's planned use is for Ableton Live, but not 100%. I think it's not needed for use with FLStudio. Your best bet is to open the .flp template in the virus folder and take it from there. Since FL doesn't have real-time delay compensation, you'll need to nudge the mixer channel timings to get them in sync, but this is really not a problem. The biggest problem with FL IMO, and this is why I switched to cubase years ago, is the lack of real-time export. This means when you have to record the virus channels separately and then bounce the rest of the project down. However, this is not a problem for everyone, but for me it was too much hassle.

So feel free to ask away, but for the bare bone basics I suggest searching to forum or the manual first.

I think the Red from the old skin gave a more ANALOG vibe to the virus! My virus, sounded much more WARMER! :thumbup:

LOL

But seriously, how about open source skinning? So people can make their own skins! I'd go for a black one with green text, but that's just me :whistling:

Found a similar bug when using tempo sync in any LFO. When turning the lfo speed knob to max (16/1 i think) the lfo goes crazy and locks out (don't know of a better way to describe it) changing color and is no longer editable. 100% sure this was not present in OS3.

You get these kinds of responses because your question suggests you're either trollin' or you're very new to synths. Either way, explaining why the virus is special is like trying to explain why Mona Lisa is one of the most expensive paintings to someone seeing it for the 1st time... It's just a subjective thing, but a lot of people like it and use it, getting great results.

And questioning what is the difference between a virus and a VST synth is ridiculous. What is the difference between a Ferrari and a Fiat? They're both cars. They both do the same thing - drive you places. So do you know anyone who would prefer to drive a Fiat? Of course not.

There is no single thing Virus does best. But in all, it's the most flexible and complete VA synth with a unique sound. And VST's have been trying to copy and emulate that sound for 10 years, ever since the 1st VST's came out. Yet we still have nothing that beats it in it's game.

If you're suggesting the basic architecture is the same, then yes. All subtractive synths have a similar architecture. But do they sound the same? Not even close.

I was making a cubase template the other day, setting all my basic plugins, sends and VST's, and I happen to check the plugin information option for the used plugins in the template project, which shows the latency of each plugin used.
    To my surprise, I learned that of all my used plugins, the virus VST has by far the biggest latency of 3328 samples. That's 3 times as much as any other plugin I use in projects, including limiters and linear-phase EQ's.
    I understand the Ti needs to have some latency when running in VST mode, but that much?
    Also, when using "live mode" the latency drops significantly. Couldn't that be used as default latency?

Just wondering...

^^ Thank you Access! ^^
    Tried it, works great! Gonna have some fun tonight! :)

Having the same "bug" as the rest; invisible knob(s).
    Also the GUI is still sluggish in Cubase 5.1 x64 + Win7 x64, although not as much as it used to be.

In what way would need this to be different from the existing parameter?

My mistake. What I meant to say was: Hypersaw stereo spread (pan spread). Hypersaw is great, but to get anything similar to real unison, one has to use at least 2xunison for the stereo spread option or use the filters in parallel mode with 2 hypersaw osc's.

In my experience, clicks can be caused my any number of things; sound cart latency settings, PC power settings, too many USB devices, using the wrong sample rate, overloading the virus DSP chips (using too many channels/sounds), etc.
    You can try changind the latency settings, make sure you PC is working in "always on" option selected in the power settings, try using the virus built in arp or simply turning the arp into noted and using those. If none of those work, contacting Access support directly might be your best bet.

The virus is a hardware synth and as such it creates sound using it's DSP chips and sends it to the PC through the analog outputs and/or the USB. It's not a VST, it only has a VST interface to make things easier, making it the most DAW-friendly synth in the world. It has 3 stereo outputs through USB and is 16 part multitimbral, meaning it can play a max. of 16 different sounds at any given time. Since it's not a VST, it cannot be loaded twice, it cannot have more than 3 USB outputs and it works in real-time only, just like any other hardware synth. Hence why you have to enable "realtime export" while exporting. If you need more outputs, connect the analog outputs of the synth to your sound card's inputs and use those. If you need more parts or polyphony, buy another virus. These are all the bare-bone basics, and most of it can be found in the manual.

My dream list (in order of preference):

1. User polyphony setting per patch
    2. Programmable arpeggiator notes
    3. Resonance setting for the delay's filter (when used, effectively turns the delay into a resonant filter delay)
    3. Hypersaw oscillator spread.
    4. Independent slope adjustment for A,D,S&R for Amp and filter OR simply a selectable "advanced envelope" featuring the same thing
    5. Better use for "Destination" buttons :whistling:
    6. More filter/osc flavors...

Here's hopeing.. :)

Nah.. from what I've heard, they're turning the LCD into a touch-screen and making the knobs touch-sensitive. So it might take a bit more beta testing..

sound doubtfull, where did you hear this?

I got it straight from Access :whistling:

Twas a joke m8. Turning an ordinary LCD into a touchscreen and making knobs touch-sensitive is obviously impossible.
    But then again, who knows what Access is capable of :)
    Waldorf managed to hide 64MB of RAM in Blofeld without anyone knowing, so anything is possble ;)

I must say... I've been checking this damn thread every day for weeks. If it was any other company, I'd be furious by now for the "ultimate mean teaser" they gave us, but since it's Access.. well let's just say with all the amazing support we got from them over the months and years, all is forgiven.

Still... I'd love to have another option then a daily check here. It's getting a bit tedious..

First of all, blofeld is a synth with a classic waldorf dirty digital sound. So expecting to get the same sounds on the virus, which is a virtual analog synth with FM as an add-on, is ridiculous. They sound nothing alike and their architecture is very different.
    If you want a blofeld alternative, both Terratec komplexer and the waldorf largo can make 99% of the sounds blofeld can and sound almost identical.