Beiträge von pixie42

Still thinking about the different polyphony counts between single and multi. I was wondering if by chance there was a difference between multimode and seq mode regarding global polyphony?

The multimode has the ability to disable unused parts to spare some midi channels. It might also save some precious computing cycles.
    I reckon most DAW users are running the TI on seq mode. I do.

Could the sequencer mode be some kind of CPU hog, with all 16 parts running at the same time and only a few actually producing some sound ?

Glad to hear it Marc !
    From my experience with computers, PSUs ares often the weakest link as time goes by.
    My Kc is now 15yrs/o and my TI2 a little less obviously but at this point a dying PSU wouldn't surprise me so far.

BTW do you have the Kc PSU specs ?
    I guess I need to source one sooner than later. My beloved "c" was a bit reluctant to boot up this evening

Exact same issue with my Kc a few weeks ago.
    The Kc did not start after switching it on. I thought it was some PSU issue.
    Then It started to boot after a few seconds (10-15 sec) after leaving the power on.
    I've had this problem for a few days, and now it seems to be gone. I guess the PSU starts to show it's age.
    Since I know all my synth's PSU are a ticking bomb, and with a limited life span, i usually turn off the power supply rack when I'm not using the gear.
    I guess it's quite relevant for a TI PSU, which is always powered and doesn't sport an hardware switch on the rear.

I'm bumping this thread, because I have the same un-resolved issue with polyphony count.
    I'm always using a TI2 /61 in sequencer mode. No USB connected, I prefer the old fashion way with midi din connectors.
    I use various akai MPCs as sequencer (MPC 1000/ 2500/Live).

No matter the complexity of the sound, the virus always fails to deliver a simple 4 parts piece of music.
    2 monophonic arps, 1 mono lead sound and a simple 4 notes chord will usually put the Virus to its knees and produce crackles or voice stealing. No patch has more than 2 bars of "CPU ressource".

All in all, the multitimbral mode is barely usable and far from what's advertised. I begin to wonder if there is something wrong with my unit, a dead DSP ? or maybe a DSP allocation error ? Don't tell me about the usual tricks (unison, turning off EFX, amp release etc.. etc...) I've tried them all.

Psylence's experience is quite interesting, having a different polyphony count between single and multi mode points to an obvious software issue.