Beiträge von berni

Well I guess 'dark electro' does sound better than 'pale grey power pop' or 'cheezy trance having a bad day', but since your music does'nt contain any of the elements it's name suggests it's easy to get confused. I vote we shoot the dick head music journalist that came up with name for the genre...but then we'd have to kill them all ; )

Cheers,

Berni.

I'm sorry but your 'music' is neither 'Dark' or 'Electro'...at least not in the recognised meaning of the words anyway.

I agree, you can use the virus in all kinds of music. I use it in just about every production from breaks to house to chill out etc. Anyway after reading about the 'dark, gothic' music you are making I was kinda expecting something along the lines of The Sisters of Mercy or something...not the case here though. The synth lines on the first track are borderline tiesto cheese & when the 'singing' started I almost pissed myself laughing...sorry. I would definitely recommend listening to some of the Sisters albums...nobody does dark gothic better than they did IMO.

Welcome to the nightmare of TIOS with Pro tools...a seemingly endless saga of crap software that is probably NEVER going to work. You already have the solution, DONT use it. Go back to using midi & the audio outs. Unless of course you prefer pulling your hair out night after night, week after week, year after year trying to get the most frustrating, flawed, bug ridden piece of software ever to work properly. Seriously it is not worth the hassle as you will get nowhere with it. I've had mine for nearly 2 years & nothing has changed despite claims by Access that they have fixed the issues with pro tools.

No doubt the best song of the year...just like every movie that comes out of Hollywood is the best movie of the year, even before we are half way through it, Lol. Seriously guys, dont you recognise when someone has a sense of humour. The quote from The Sun is a dead give away...Doh!
    Nice to meet you Mr Eigenfrequenz. Can I use the track on my Podcast?

Cheers,

Berni.

Nice work my friend, some cool stuff.... Anyway to get to my point, I am starting a podcast next month featuring new electronic music of all genres & I was wondering if it would be ok to play some of your tracks on it? I'm still working on the logistics of the whole thing & you can hear/subscribe to the test version from my site http://www.djberni.com.
    It is going to be an enhanced podcast & a url to your space/website will be included along with me giving as much details about your projects as you want me to. Let me know if you are interested or indeed anyone on this list who is interested on being in the podcast..

Cheers,

Berni.

I hope you get it this time...I have not been talking about latency all along. If you understand my previous posts you would have realised this & if you are using VC on a HD system then just like access you are not only missing my point but also the problems I am having with the LE version of VC in PT LE.
    Now either I'm a complete idiot or the rest of you are....

@ Aether...I guess you are kinda there but I am also guessing English is a second language for you & the typo's dont help. This guy who recently bought a new TI put it best...from the infekted forum...

The first thing I did after unwrapping the Ti2 was download OS4 and
    load it up, then after remembering hearing some horror stories I backed
    off the beta and installed the last public release version (actually
    3.3x.. dont recall version exactly). That experience in itself was
    troubling, because of course the back-level version (OS3) was not smart
    enough to clean up all pieces of the beta version (OS4). This sort of
    installer-snafu is very common in software shops -- beta these days
    means "try at your own risk" so some of the testing is short circuited
    in favor of getting it in the hands of the risk-taker user base. The
    difference these days is that there has been a trend of off-loading the
    quality assurance process to the customer under the premise of a "beta"
    release. I went to Access's site, and it seems this OS4 "beta" was the
    first release I was encouraged to download. Back in the good old days
    of higher quality software, beta software used to only go out to
    designated customers who were willing to test software in exchange for
    something in return; it would have been arrogant to release software
    into the mainstream without investing properly in alpha (inhouse)
    testing. Today there is a trend of "customer is our test bitch, why
    pay?".

For example, back then, if I tested Access' software and provide them
    useful feedback, I should then get a free Virus Ti2 in exchange for my
    time and experience with the product. If I examined at how many hours I
    spent dinking around with this synth to get the beta working right,
    then multiplied that number by the hourly rate I charge my clients,
    Access owes me a free Virus and about seven grand. So at that point I
    cannot justify giving them two grand for the priviledge of being their
    beta tester [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.infekted.org/virus/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif]

All of that said, I want to make clear that I loved the sound of the
    Virus, and being a fan of subtractive synthesis above any other type
    (actual sound design and creation is important to me), I definately
    appreciated the knob interface on this desktop module. The polyphony
    was a bit weak, I loaded up some sort of D50 Digital Piano sound (I
    know, I know.... why the faerk would I want to emulate a 1980s digital
    synth with this thing??? Just out of curiosity)... But this sound was
    showing as a 5-bar patch! This means with only a slight amount of
    handi-work on the keyboard, I was able to rob it of polyphony fairly
    quickly. So for purposes of that sound, the Virus felt like a
    monophonic D50! This is absolutely laughable compared to what my PC
    (currently a Core-i7 965 running Windows 7 64-bit) can do with a
    mediocre soft-synth and achieve the same quality sound.

Now when you read the last few sentences there, please don't think that
    I am saying a Virus sounds no better than the Roland D50 did. I'm also
    not saying that softsynths sound better than the Virus. The Virus, by
    itself, sounds better than any softsynth out there. But the advantages
    it brought to my particular table did not justify the $2,200 US
    pricetag once I factored in the latency issue. And by adding high
    quality FX plugins to soft-synths, with certain sounds, I can match or
    exceed the virus sound (at the expense of CPU, but my PC's CPU
    resources 'runneth over' whereas Virus polyphony does not!... obviously
    they see the softsynth movement as a threat or they wouldn't bother
    with total integration to begin with, right? Let's face it, softsynths
    threaten hardware and the difference diminishes month over month). More
    importantly, in a complicated mix I am unlikely to be able to tell the
    difference between a virus and a good quality softsynth+fx.

I did realize that for pads and sounds with slow attack, I could
    probably find a way to work enough beautiful sounds into my mix that I
    could get some use from it even with latency problems, but the latency
    issue, lack of quality control in the software, and other issues simply
    made the pricetag not worth the returns for me.

One other bit of food for thought -- it seems that despite the "USB
    2.0" marketing, the TI (and repackaged same TI2) actually run at the
    USB 1.1 max speed. So maybe the next generation of products will have a
    data bus that reduces the latency enough to be usable? It's just hard
    for me to believe it is purely a host issue -- latency should be a
    matter of the driver, the hardware capabilities (USB 2.0 in this case),
    and in my research the latency is not DAW specific (if it is, I'd
    suggest to the Access QA team that testing and certifcation with more
    DAWs translates to more sales). I've seen users complaining across many
    hosts, at the end of the day VST is VST, USB is USB, and if they aren't
    getting proper coverage on the platform (Windows) that holds more than
    90% of marketshare, something might need looking into. Also some might
    consider my Windows 7 64-bit setup dicey, but that argument is no
    longer acceptable since Windows 7 has been the fastest selling OS in
    history, Microsoft is the second most profitable company in America
    this year kicking sand in Apple's face, and 64-bit adoption has been
    amazing over the last couple of years, even starting with the seemingly
    jinxed Vista.

I do hope they find a way to address the problems I had, and be careful
    to fund their own testing process rather than using the customer as a
    free tester. I will keep an eye on progress and perhaps be a future
    customer?

berni, send some more info, especially on the hardware configuration you're using. if you can, send a demo project to support. we spend a lot of time on protools, it's frustrating that it is still not working for you guys.

marc

Please spare everyone your bullshit, I for one am tired of it. I reported this problem to Access support 18 months ago & according to the addendums on every software update since then this is the FIRST attempt you have made to address the RTAS problem.
    Multi processor problem remains. The arps are all over the place STILL as others have said. Yes it is frustrating!
    Not only that my computer now goes into a kernal panic when I have the Virus plugged in for no particular reason.

the preferred way of download OS updates is to go to: http://virus.info/start - there you find the minimum OS requirement right above the download link. i think that's good enough for the most of us, especially because this link is printed on the red card which comes with the virus and asks you to download the software in the first place. the link actually says 10.4.6 which is correct.
    the reason why the documentation says 10.5. is that we are in the transition of moving to 10.5. and sooner or later 10.4.x will not work anymore. a precise date of when this will happen is not available at present, partly because we cannot predict which functions will be decapricated when and in which version by apple. one thing is for sure: right now it works fine with 10.4.6 and it is uncertain how long this state persists.

best, marc

Not convinced that this link is the 'preferred' way as I never knew it existed (try finding this page on the site!), & I'm guessing that if you didn't buy your Virus brand new recently you are the same as me & just use the links on the Virus site to get to the download page. The fact remains you have conflicting info on 2 different download pages...THIS IS CONFUSING!
    When you say 'sooner or later 10.4.x will not work anymore' I guess you mean VC will no longer work with it right????? Well lets face it it doesn't work to good with it now...when are you going to do something about the crappy RTAS version???? Also why would Apple 'decapricate' functions from an operating system that they no longer update????
    Thanks for the explanation, everything is so much clearer now : (

Yet another example of Access confusing people...why do they say on the download link...This software is compatible with MacOS X 10.5 or higher????
    Anyways I ran a few tests, firstly with the VST in Live & it runs fine...nothing extensive but so far so good. Next I tried the RTAS version in pro tools LE...couldn't get any sound out of the thing. The VC shows that it is putting out but no cigar. So I tried the demo session & voila! it works. Hurray! The arps are still a little out of sync occasionally but as good if not better than they where in OS3. Now this is what is really baking my noodle...If I create an instrument track & put VC as an insert on it, no sound comes out of the thing. However, if I import the instrument track from the demo session with the VC plug-in on it, it works fine. I have wasted an entire afternoon trying to figure out how this can be & I'll be honest it has got me beat...& I've been using pro tools for 8+ years. If anyone out there can shed some light on this (LIKE U ACCESS GUYS) I would appreciate it. The only difference I can see is that the demo was done on an HD pro tools set up as opposed to the LE set up I have.
    Now I'm going to pour myself a strong one, hit the bong heavily & listen to the Orbs 'little fluffy clouds'...its the only thing that is going to stop me taking a lump hammer to this bloody frustrating synth.