Beiträge von soniklab

Why would you want to use 10.8? I'm not having a go :) but there is absolutely no benefit to running music software under it as far as I can see. Don't get me wrong I love to have the latest OS/software etc so i dual boot my mac 10.8 and 10.6.8, but 10.8 on it's own? do you want the pain of everything being unstable all the time for the next year? :D

I do this all the time. Just set up an audio track in logic and route the Virus via your sound card to the track...and record. It has to be done in real time which is a bit of a pain if you use multiple parts but hey ho :thumbup: You don't need to bounce anything, just record it as you would a vocal, guitar part etc straight into the logic project you are working on.

I am aiming to keep the VC plugin working over USB and just assign the outs to analogue thereby taking the audio away from USB.

Yes that solution did show some improvement for me as well but I still had issues! and so did the Ti :P It's a constant shifting problem :D

As a pointer to others, someone I know on Cubase 6 found this was the way to solve most of his problems, USB for the plugin, audio outs to analogue.

BTW Let us know how you get on with the Zed, I much prefer dedicated hardware to Mice and screens but then I grew up on hardware :D

I hear your pain. In my experience the only way the Virus is stable is not running it as a plugin in Logic. Midi and audio outs - old skool but the USB/TI is just too flaky for me, and yes I have spoken to technical support - who are brilliant - and followed al different ideas from the forums - but still the Virus is crap when running it via USB for me. Every time a new OS or Beta appears I download it for the TI2 hoping this time it will be better but I always return to the old fashioned way eventually. What with the arps falling out of sync, tuning drifting and crashes plus it also just never 'feels' right over USB - thought the last part is a personal thing! Resigned this might always be the case! :S but still I love the Virus Ti2 :)

This has been a common fault with the arp, if you search the forums you will see plenty of people relating incidents of the arp being out of sync with different DAWS, I certainly had it in Logic Studio. It does seem better in my experience with the latest beta OS. Also if your track starts with an arp Access recommend leaving a bar before the track starts to give the arp a chance to sync to the relevant DAW.

Nope. I have had numerous problems with my Mac Pro, Logic 9 and my Desktop Ti2. Sometimes it's in sync, sometimes it isn't, sometimes it detunes, sometimes it doesn't..for a long time I went back to using Midi and the audio ins of my Saphire...and despite what people say about the analogue outs not being sample accurate I found this much tighter than USB but even then it doesn't mean an arp will be in sync. I love my Virus but its terrible at sync. The other downside is you have to be old skool and name all the tracks with what sounds you used otherwise I can never remember what they were! ;) I do run multiple MIDI channel playback though and that does work both with MIDI and USB..its just not always in time ;)

this that with or without using virus control?

marc

Hi Marc, this was not using VC/USB just MIDI via my MT4. It was rock solid before over MIDI, last week even with quantisation I had to move the track to get it in time but will spend some more time with it later this week hopefully..busy scoring a short film at the mo with has no synth parts!!! ;( ...yes, Im not happy about that either!! lol :P Cheers Rob

has anyone else noticed that the timing seems to be off via MIDI?? It used to rock solid but with 4.5 it seems a bit all over the place meaning I have to shift tracks in Logic...might switch back to previous version

cheers

Rob

The times of hardware are certainly NOT over...plenty of great hardware on the market, including the Virus..its the software (as a plugin) that lets it (the Virus) down in my experience..the actual synth itself is better than any plugin on the market! ...IMHO :thumbup:

i would have been surprised if a driver update would help. get in touch with support, they'll help you troubleshoot your system. this is not a generic problem.

thanks, marc

You would Marc? really? Thats the first thing tech support told me to do......reinstall the OS and the Ti AU.

EDIT: actually NOT the first thing, we tried removing all devices from USB chain, we tired different USB ports, we tried quite a bit. THe last thing when all other suggestions were exhausted was to reinstall the OS and AU, still didn't work but Jorg was great! :) I do keep hearing it's not a generic problem, but there does seem a raft of problems with the Virus and USB. Admitedly you only ever see problems on forums never.."hey it all works no problems!!" :thumbup: but is there ANYONE out there that has got a Virus Ti2 Desktop machine actually running with Logic 9 via USB on a Mac Pro (late 2009 model) working???? :S :thumbup:

:( Firstly ouch! But I had a very similar thing, although mine didn't do this ALL the time, just randomly but only when running it via USB. Via MIDI and the audio outs it was fine. There are a few posts on here already about people mentioning white noise/static from the audio feed via USB. Have you tried running it via MIDI?, I think you will find if you do and run the audio out of 1 & 2 it will be fine. The second thing is that Access dont have tech support staff on here so although there is plenty of help on here from users its prob best to talk to their tech support direct as well. Finally I have to say we couldnt solve it with mine, so I don't use USB but I did try the new beta 4.5 and from what little time I did try it the noise DID NOT APPEAR!...did still have sync issues though with Logic 9/Mac Pro.

By buzzing, do you guys mean the patches are distorting when you press a key? Or does it buzz right when you fire up the plugin?

With OS 4.5, I have an issue with the Polar (surprisingly not with the Snow) where all the patches are distorted. This happens in both Logic 9.1.3 and Ableton 8.2.2. Doing a reset using the 'Arp Edit' button seems to fix it. All patches sound distorted. I'm not sure if it's the same issue being discussed. :D

Cheers.

well for me it was not distortion but White Noise/Static from the Audio over USB. So that sounds like you have a different issue! 8|

Personally I never bother to bounce when capturing audio. You can only do it realtime with external synths so what's the point? There isnt one IMHO. So with both my Virus Ti and my X6 I record the parts down. It means I end up with a MIDI track and an audio track for each part but its not like that's going to tax any DAW. :)

logic is tight here. sample accurate tight.

marc

Marc,
    not with USB in my experience it isn't. Had lots of problems with white noise coming through as audio, just blasts of it. Even the tuning wavers, and yes I have spoken to technical support, Jorg was great but we couldn't solve it. Though the beta of 4.5 does seem to have fixed the white noise the timing is still off via USB. Perhaps I could spend ages messing around with the latency but its fine working with my X6, id rather just use MIDI and keep on writing.

actually I have noticed this over MIDI as well but since I downloaded the beta yesterday of 4.5 it seems to be sorted. I manually changed tempo's in Logic, pressed play to send clock over and checked the internal BPM of the Virus and it was correct every time, that was not happening before.

I also had this with my Mac Pro Quad Xeon, Logic Studio and my Virus Ti Desktop 2. Spent ages talking to Jörg but we couldn't solve it in 4.1.1.05 The public Beta of 4.5 *seems* to have stopped this from what little time I have spent with it but still USB, Logic and the Virus Plugin are just not good enough for me (timing/crashes), so Ill stick to MIDI and the Audio outs.