Beiträge von Fringe

Just realized today that you cannot even change the buffer size of your project if the Virus is not physically plugged in and turned on yet your project contains an instance of Virus Control. The second you go to change your buffer setting from current to a new one you are thrown with literally hundreds of windows explaining problem Number 2 above. I have wrote Access directly about this issue and have heard nothing back for over a week now.

Has anyone, including you Marc, had similar happenings in regards to my report earlier in this thread of issues I am experiencing with this new beta. Is it reproducible? I would like to know whether I am alone or not and if not is a fix in the works for a future release? I don't see much point in replying with issues to the new betas if they are not acknowledged. Even a simple we will look into it, or we have reproduced the problem etc would be sufficient enough for me.

Installation went without a hitch. 2 problems while using the update however.

1.) Loading a project which previously contained the Virus Control Plugin loaded (VST3) now has NO automation options AT ALL in Cubase 5. You cannot select a single parameter to automate, the list is empty and the R/W buttons are greyed out and are unable to be selected. Starting a fresh project has all automation listed per part as should. This is really bad for those who have projects on the go created from previous versions of Virus Control and relied on using automation as they intended.

2.) A strange crash occurs if you save a project which contained Virus Control, however the Virus itself it unplugged in Cubase 5. I found this out the hard way as I loaded a project I was currently working on just to edit some drums. Since it had no relation to the Virus at all I left it unplugged. The project loaded and operated as should, however, the split second I went to save what work I had done, I was greeted with the following message in a pop up window:

INVALID OUTPUT MAPPING

A OUTPUT CONFIGURATION PROBLEM IN VIRUS CONTROL OCCURED.
    THE PROJECT MAKES USE OF THE OPTIONAL THIRD USB OUTPUT WHICH IS CURRENTLY CONFIGURED TO BE DISABLED. YOU MIGHT ENABLE THE THIRD OUTPUT IN THE UTILITY/CONFIG TAB WITHIN VIRUS CONTROL.

DETAILS:
    -PART 3 IS MAPPED TO THE USB 3

It doesn't just come up once either, it comes up a hundred times at least. The entire screen gets littered with this pop up and the entire program grinds to a halt. If you go into task manager and close out the pop ups more just appear. You are forced to force close Cubase and restart it to allow it to work properly. I can fully understand what the message is telling me, however in previous versions I could have the Virus plugged in or not and have never received this message if I went to save a project I was working on which contained Virus Control. I should not be forced to have the Virus plugged in if I choose to edit something else in my project that has no bearing on the Virus itself. I have done this in the past and have never been greeted with this crash. If the Virus is unplugged, the project should work as should, including saving, however, the parts which are contained in the Virus will not play back obviously. If I have the Virus plugged in this does not occur and by going into the Utility/Config tab of Virus Control I can see the 3rd output is enabled and working. For whatever reason Virus Control just throws a fit about output 3 if the Virus is not plugged in, never 1 or 2 however. Since I have never experienced this in the past I believe it to be a bug or oversight? Can anyone confirm that they are able to load projects and resave them if they contain Virus Control within them even if the Virus hardware itself is unplugged? I know I have been able to before OS4.

Thanks for reading, hopefully some answers and/or a fix to the above can be sorted.

p.s. thanks for the proper labeling of the knobs which were mucked up in the previous release. They are fine now.

it's not good idea
    i suppose we have enough distortion units :rolleyes:

Huh? Perhaps we are not on the same page here. I am not asking for more distortions then what we have now, what I am asking for is the ability to use the new distortions which were added in OS4 to be used on the filter saturation drop down menu as well as in the FX page, just like all distortions previous to OS4. All previous distortions can be used in the FX page and the Filter page, where as the new distortions are only listed in the FX page currently.

One thing that often bugs me, is that one has to reload the plugin in order for it to recognize new midi files placed in the patches folder. It would be nice if the plugin would either monitor the folder and update automatically, or if there were some kind of "refresh" button/option.

Regards...

+100. This would certainly be helpful. Great suggestion.

the thing is that the input follower does this already in a kind of way

if you could route some of the signal into it then modulate part volume or channel volume with an inverse amount

to act like the threshhold and adjust the attack and decay, bingo ,parrallel compresion

Though I appreciate your suggestion, I am looking for something a little less convoluted and a little more cut and dry. I don't want an approximation of a compressor in action, I want an actual compressor. Parallel compression is not what I am entirely after anyhow, I just want something to tame and shape the overall signal from within the Virus itself to help it sit in the mix with a little more control and punch.

Those patches that appear in Favourites1/2/3 are categories of the patch. A patch can have two categories for example on my TI KB "Expense HS" has the first category set to "Pad" and the second category set to "Favourites 3" . This patch is then listed in the Favourites 3 panel. You can change the category setting for each patch (in RAM) under Edit/Categories.

I hope this helps.

I know it has certainly helped me. I just came across this yesterday and was wondering the same thing. I never bothered to ask about it though. Thanks for asking OP, and thanks for explaining Matariki.

No joy as of yet. If enough people seem interested however, perhaps it could be something taken more seriously in a future release.

I am really liking the new distortions. I also realized these are dictated to being used in the FX page only. I see each and every other distortion type before the new ones also being listed in the Filter Saturation list for use. I am wondering if would ever be possible to add the new distortion types to the Filter Saturation list for even further sound shaping options?

My Cubase has become slower in terms of the playback cursor, meters etc responding in real time like they should, but not as bad as in that video, and only as the project gets more complex. Any enhancement is welcome however, lower latency will never be complained about.

I'm a bit confused here - why on earth would you want to be resetting the ASIO like this in the first place? This is surely something which only needs doing if there is a problem - it certainly has nothing to do with 'normal' sequencing, and personally I have never experienced the Virus just going out of tune like this during a session.

Also, FWIW, I tried reproducing this in SX3.1.1 under Windows, and I couldn't. Resetting the ASIO did sometimes trigger a stuck note, which when doubled up with the previous one caused some kind of phasing effect, but it was cleared easily by re-triggering the note. The overall tuning was fine.

Though I can certainly appreciate where you are coming from as I totally see your point, I do not believe this bug is related to strictly resetting the ASIO device manually at will. I believe this is just a quick method of reproducing the bug for all to see. The resetting of the ASIO device can and certainly does happen during a sesssion. If one changes the buffer size for instance, it gets reset automatically. If one closes a project/closes the program, then reopens it, this also resets the ASIO device. If the Virus itself has not been reset AND decides to not properly 'sync' up after such an occurrence, what you saw in that video can and does occur. Something isn't quite right. I have found personally that either Cubase/soundcard/Virus crash mid session and resetting the ASIO device can sometimes 'jolt' sound back into action which would normally be lost due to the crash. I would hate to find out all my patches will then start drifting and I can't rely on its stability from there on out. I am unsure whether this is something that can be remedied, but it is definitely reproducible, and seems to be dependent on the PC only as on MAC this is not an issue. If Access can do anything to look into, reproduce or fix this 'problem' it certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks Marc. I was looking for something toggable within Virus Control itself. A little x box or something that can be clicked on and off at will. If this is not possible that is a shame, but at least I know the answer for sure.

Thanks again for the reply.