Beiträge von Lsixtysix

Yeah, i tried Cubase 10 and still the same issue. Couldn't find any other post about this issue on the Steinberg forums either. From memory this also happened on Cubase 8 on my Mac and across all windows versions that i have tried since. Maybe i should raise a request with Steinberg as it seems something on that end is at play here.

Hmm I have not reported it to Steinberg because it's the only device that has caused such an issue like this and i have owned many vst and external synths...I thought it would be the latency settings between Cubase and the Virus control... I guess updating to Cubase 10 would be a waste to see if this is still an issue.

Ill have done some previous checks in the Steinberg forums, in regards to Virus TI etc but have not seen any posts about this issue...Ill check it again though as that was a lot of years ago.

I just started a new project and am getting the same damn issue...Doesn't look like there is any one here pitching in or having the same issue? I am not keeping my hopes up for a fix either. Maybe we should be howling at Steinberg? Seeing as i have had this issue on three different virus TI and TI2's i have owned, across multiple computers, os' and Cubase 6 all the way up to 9.5.

I'm surprised other users haven't reported this to be an issue, I would of thought it would be a widespread issue.

Man, i have had this issue as long as i have owned my Virus (since 2011). All versions of Cubase have done it from version 6 to 9.5 and there Is there is still no solution...

Is this limited to Cubase and the VC control plug in? Can anyone with Ableton or logic try it out. The only way around it is if i change the midi number and reload the preset on that channel or remove the VC plugin or restart Cubase.

Hi All,

Welcome and thanks for stopping by!

Listen on some decent speakers or in your car with a sub woofer :D

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Thanks!

Hardware and software used
    G1
    G2
    Virus TI 2
    Pulse 2
    Serum
    Sylenth

Yeah i shouldn't get ahead of myself, some days sounds like it's right on point (although that just may be my hearing lapsing), i have yet to plug in my SPDIF, now i am seeing some issues with some users trying to clock to their interface. Seems i may go back to using usb even with the glitches and all.

my point was that the analog outs will not playback in time when you use Virus Control. They will playback to early. In difference to the USB outs which are in time. and as for the converters, i'm reading olli's statement the way that his ADCs are not good enough. but maybe i'm wrong there.

Yes, i have heard the timing slightly off when rendering, is it also while playing back? It's not so evident on some parts as it seems a few ms shift? Is it true that if i use SPDIF and try to clock to my RME, i need to make the Virus Ti the master?

It's actually quite easy, you just click the solo button on the external instrument track and also on the selected vc midi track before you bounce it. Then it complains about it not being done in realtime because your using an external instrument, just click on ok and it should be fine.

I just tested this method again on a new project, and it seems like my timing issues are completely gone!

I have a mono synth but i haven't had it miss-behaving that you are experiencing. Have you tried an alternate DAW? or can you try connect the Sub 37 via the midi ports instead of usb?

Regarding the VC laggy issue, I get the exact same issue after a while too, it seems that it just starts lagging and the sequences/notes playback appears to sound "shortened", would you know if this is a Cubase specific issue? Have you used VC in another DAW? This is one of the reasons i switched to the analog outs, but i may be switching over to spdif outs when my cables arrive ,apparently it works with VC without needing external instrument which "hopefully" is problem free.

Im talking about the edit menu then go to render in place. Doing it this way causes an issue when the VC is pointing to the analog 1+2 outs. Remember to make it work you need to render out the VC midi channel you are attempting to render and NOT the External instrument (analog out) otherwise it definitely won't work with external instrument this way as you have found that out.

Regarding your issue here,it seems to me you may have a configuration problem as i export and audio mix down my external gear with no hiccups and no issues of timing you are explaining here, this has been the way since Cubase 5 and now on 9.

It is not a lot of work, it is how i render external instruments, i treat the virus as i do any other hardware synths in this regard, instead of using it like a plug in, because when i use VC solely over usb, that's when the midi timing issues arise with a lot of tracks. The more patches that i have loaded the more chance of some minor audio timing issues and glitches, not a deal breaker for sure, but i have had more serious issues with my previous virus and don't want to be troubleshooting anymore.

The reason for analog outs is simple 24 bit>16 bit. There are definitely differences here, some may claim otherwise but there have been numerous posts and audio examples all around the web showing that the analog audio outs or the spdif outs are 24-bit audio while the usb audio is 16 bit. This causes less aliasing as the resolution is higher and the sound somewhat more "rounded" or "smooth" some might say. What audio interface are you using? could this be part of your problem? how have your connected your synths to it?

@oliAtBass

In Pic 1 i have renamed all the channels to the left so you can get a clearer overall picture. Virus vst, a normal midi channel on midi ch 2 and the external instrument last.

Pic 2 is my vst connections settings. As you can see i have created the virtual instrument and set the correct audio ins from my interface, then created a midi device and called it "Virus TI".

Pic 3 - Finally to get any sound you will need to change the "Main out" from the VC "common" tab to output on the analog outs from your TI. In my case Analog out 1+2.

Yeah the offline bouncing feature does work only from the VC channel you have selected, but it's not in sync because the audio path is routed to the analog outs.
    its recommended to use the "Audio mix down" option if you want to avoid any hassle and timing/sync issues. The way to do that is to solo the analog out and the midi channel with the midi information you want to render then go to "file" "export" "audio mix down" and tick the external instrument out (analog output) to render the audio and not the VC midi channel. This should work flawlessly and in sync.

Let me know if i missed anything.

Thanks.

Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions, but it works flawlessly when i have it routed as an external instrument. Cubase just outs puts to this channel and i can have 16 midi channels all with the VC plug in to edit the sounds without any timing issues if i render offline instead of bounce the audio.

Setting up monitoring is somehow greyed out for my interface as i have tried this in the past without success. I have checked again and i can't get it to activate within cubase, and using direct monitoring, then routing into an audio track i can't hear anything within cubase, only on my interface. Regardless i think i have it sorted through using an external instrument with the correct outputs setup in the vst connections section, no latency at all when i play live or when midi is triggered and no timing issues as i get sometimes with usb.

Hi marc, i almost completely forgot to update this thread with my findings as i never got an email from you in the end...

I have rectified the issue, and the solution was buying a brand new Virus ti2 Polar. This is not something i had intended on doing when i started this thread, but as the Virus is the centrepiece in my studio, i needed the reliability and this was honestly a risk i was willing to take.
    The pros to what i did far outweigh the cons (for me), lesser headaches and frustrations and just getting my creativity flowing is enough to invest in another unit.

Now on two and a half months and still going strong, everything is working as it should.

@Marc What i playback is in sync in realtime...i never stated otherwise. Maybe you misunderstood what i was referring to? I was referring to Oli stating that he had never considered the analog outs because of his Dac not being up to the task.

Regarding the offline bouncing issue, it is properly in sync now when i select "export" then "audio mix down". It seems offline bouncing does not get around the latency of the plug in due to how Cubase handles the VC plug in.

Thank you Oli for the clues as to what it could be.

Thats the only way you can get audio from the Virus with analog outs. When you use the VC in cubase the only way to hear any audio is if you use the monitor function on your interface, otherwise Cubase can't route the audio through the VC to the DAW via analog out. If there is another way around this that would eliminate the sync issues.

You can perform an offline bounce on theVC plugin but not on the external instrument, because Cubase sees it as a vsti. Just a thought, i will try to do an "export" then "audio mix down" and see if the issue is the same.

Also it's not about the DAC or anything, it's about the output being 24bit over the analog vs 16bits on the usb.

Hi All, I am using my TI2 polar with the TI portion to make patches and Audio outs 1+2 enabled via another cubase external instrument track so i can hear audio in Cubase. The problem i seem to be having is that when i try and render or bounce the audio,it has a massive delay.I am assuming it's because of DAW integration and the delay compensation that takes place for external plug ins or instruments? Is there a way around this method? I don't want to keep using the USB audio portion as i would rather pass it onto my analog outs (sounds better to me) and keep using the virus control plug in. Another forum said recording directly or using "Live mode", but am not sure if this works for bouncing the audio as well.

Also i have heard you can use the spdif outputs with the virus control without having to set up another external instrument track - does anyone know if this will eliminate the timing issue when bouncing the audio?

Hope someone can see a solution.