Beiträge von flabberbob

The key to resolving the USB load issue is getting to know your profiler better. Here's a snapshot from http://www.dummies.com/how-to/…profiler-in-mac-os-x.html
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://media.wiley.com/assets/1014/08/0-7645-7676-3_010703.jpg
    Use it to find out which ports go to which USB bus, and which busses are already serving harware that is connected internally. You need to re-connect all your USB hardware so that either the Virus will get a bus all for itself (best option) or the virus will share a bus with other pieces of hardware which are not USB1.1 or less and are not resource hogging such as storage devices. If you are having trouble setting up this configuration without having to leave out something that you need connected, the USB2 hub can come in handy: Connect the hub to a USB bus that has no USB1.1 devices. Connect everything BUT the virus through the hub, and connect the Virus to another port of that bus on the computer itself (I know this is the opposite to what you were told before).
    Another solution that may involve a little less playing around, will be to purchase a USB port express-card (I belive you have an express card slot on your MBP) and dedicate it to the Virus alone.
    Regarding the strange panning issue, I really have no idea, but when it happens next, it would be nice to see in the VC/VSTi common tab exactly to which output the patch is routed.

I'm having trouble imagining it, so a drawing could help, but it sounds like FM is the answer here. OSC1 should be square and OSC2 sine, but only OSC2 should come out in the mix. Also the FM type should be wave, phase init should be something other than 0 (play around). Come to think of it, looks like the higher pitched sine might come first, but I don't think it should matter. OK then, you now need to balance the FM amount and the semitone of OSC2 (maybe even a little bit of detune), it could help if the FM controls were less coarse (Access people, if you can hear me!), but setting oscillator sync should at least give you a fixed point of reference so you are not completely lost.
    If you insist on having the low pitched sine first, a reverse-phase FM mode (meaning top becomes bottom for OSC1) could really help here... (Access people... ...again).

I don't know exactly what you were told by the Access team, but the LIVE button reduces the VSTi's own buffer and thus it's latency. This is the recommended setting for playing around and recording MIDI tracks. But it is not recommended for rendering tracks, since the CPU load and the load on the internal I/O busses of any average computer are very erratic, resulting in crackle and skips, created when the VSTi is waiting for some CPU time or data from an I/O bus. Going into non-live mode cures this by increasing the buffer size: the VSTi fills the buffer at the erratic pace induced upon it, and the DAW pulls the audio data at a steady pace (think about a leaky bucket). At the same time, the VSTi reports its buffer size to the DAW so that the DAW can compensate by sending the MIDI notse a little earlier, so that they arrive in time for the master mix.

When you install the complete Virus software suit it installs a set of VSTi .dll files. They are not a S/W version of the physical machine, but they let the Virus connect with your DAW using the VSTi/AU interface, through the USB connection. Audio and MIDI data flows into the physical machine, gets processed and flows back to the DAW.

What I am missing from your message is a photo of the Virus VSTi window: You can control individual channel volume from its browser tab and assign channels to outputs from its common tab.
    If you are using the virus as stand alone, then you can either send MIDI volume messages, or on the first single-edit menu of each part you get control over the patch volume, and on the first multi-edit menu of each part you get to choose the output destination.

I am familiar with the term reboxed usually in the context of music stores putting the instrument on display at the shop and then putting it back in the box and selling it, usually with a restricted warranty, since it may have been through hard times.

I am even more worried about what refurbishing means, since as I understand, replacing LEDs and POTs is fairly easy with the Virus, replacing other circuits inside it might be hazardous to its health. So I would basically ask (a) under what warranty it is sold and (b) what was done to it during the refurbishing and by whom.

I'd suggest re-analysing your patch to see if you went wrong somewhere. Patches that are too quiet are usually the cause of filtering out most of the frequencies where your basic waveform is sonically present. E.g. making a bass out of a wavetable waveform that is mostly present in the mid-treble range. In this case I'd suggest trying out more waveforms.
    (Also: If you used only one oscillator make the other one copy it. Try adding resonance to your filters. Why not EQ a little bit towards the bass?)

Did you use 4 MIDI-out plugins to send it data? Make them all send data to the VC port, but on different channels (1 thru 4). When you edit and audition the sound, can you make your keyboard send MIDI data through these plugins? As a last resort you can try and change the channel your MIDI controller keyboard uses for sending data.

I don't have much experience in Logic but you can try the following:
    - Use a snappy patch for testing (init patch is good enough), since using a slow building patch will make you compensate and play notes a little early.
    - Use the LIVE mode for recording and turn it off when playing back or recording something else.
    - Make sure you enable all latency compensation.
    There are a lot of threads here about problems with Logic so I suggest you take a look around.

Once the VST is running, the Virus is in a different mode (the funny thing is, when you unload the VST it goes back to exactly where it was before you started the VST...). All the sound goes straight to the host using the USB connection and nothing goes out to the Virus physical audio outputs unless you specifically say so in the VST's common screen. Regarding the keyboard, please check that the Virus MIDI interface is enabled as input, and for whatever track you're arming, just tell it to grab data from all MIDI inputs.
    Good luck.

I guess your limitations would be that (a) under 400Hz you need more than 48 oscillators to cover the audible range (although at the area just below 20kHz the ear is not distinctive enough and you could just put white noise in there and no one would notice); and (b) 80 voices max divided by 16 channels at the same time means you are downgraded to 5 voices.
    Another thing you should pay attention to, is that semitones alone will not give you the accurate sub-harmonic, and changing the Virus' tuning from equal temperament to just intonation will scramble everything an you will have to re-tune.

Didn't try it yet but the possibilities of approaching this 3 or 4 octave rise would be:

• Pitch bend wheel with pitch bend depth set to 36 or 48 semitones - you need a very stable hand for this one... or an automation in your DAW.
    • Sawtooth LFO in ENV mode modulating pitch, at a very low rate, and the modulation amount needs to be adjusted carefully for the right tuning. I would assign a knob to control the rate so that the duration is adjustable, I guess this way it could be used with a high rate to add some punch in the beginning of the note.
    • Very slow portamento and mono (there are 4 modes, and I keep forgetting which is which so play around), press the low note of the rise and shortly after press the highest note as well. I can't see this patch being used for anything else though...

The sound itself is a very standatd sawtooth OSC through a lowpass filter.

Hope this helps