Beiträge von Barely

using logic pro and a 128 buffer i don't have a significant latency on the USB outs at all. if yours shows something in the range of 90ms, something is very wrong setup. as for your conclusion, this is where the "D" button comes in and also my advise to you to read the Setup Guide and other relevant documents such as the Virus Control guide and the Startup Guide. also email support is your friend.

best, marc

That never worked for me. Either it was laggy (200ms and more =unplayable), or the arp was "swimming" (in and out of time), or both, in any of the possibilities (with, without proposed Belkin USB hub, other cables, no HD on same port, low or high latency compensation, etc) you or access support told me with any of the software revisions that came and went the last 12 months.
    I resorted to DIN-Midi-only connection (no USB) and analog audio only to the DAW, and sometimes audio-quantizing the arps in Logic.
    Sorry Marc, I love the TI2 and love the sound, absolutely top-notch, and would never sell it, but the whole total integration needs a serious makeover, or at least a "light" version that skips all the audio over USB thing and resorts to remote controlling the synth parameters. Then we'll be all happy and wearing access t-shirts :D
    ah, one more thing:
    If I connect the TI2, Logic says "do you want to use ti as soundcard?". I mostly click "no", because I already have a Focusrite Saffire connected. This is the right thing to do, right? Logic is a little confusing when it comes to using 2 audio devices...

Hi there,
    It would be more than nice if the TI had a dedicated iPad editor like the Jupiter-80 (basically a copy of the plugin, data only)
    You can't accesss (haha) all parameters from the TI panel right now (analog filters, arp patterns etc.)
    and the total integration just doesn't work for some people. I have the TI analog audio-only connected to my DAW,
    and I would LOVE to edit it like in the plugin, but without the USB connection to my computer.
    I would even pay up to 20 Eur for that. I know there are midi editors and TouchOsc and all that stuff,
    but none of them really work for all parameters.
    Any chance this might happen anytime?
    Cheers! :)

Logic will be absolutely fine with it set to short - I use a Pro 40 too by the way. Check your Round Trip Latency measurements in Logics Audio preferences now - they will be less than they were before I guarantee you that.

If you need to change any buffer settings then do it within Logic, I've got mine set to 128 most of the time & that works for me for most situations. The general rule of thumb regarding buffer sizes is smaller for recording & larger for mixing, if you find that you can playback fine with 128 set in Logic then you could just leave it there.

How much RAM have you got in your MBP?

thanks again for your reply :)
    I edited the above post (virus behaved badly again)
    My buffer is set to 128 in logic. If you say that logic will be fine with the saffire set to "small" latency, then I'm happy.
    I got 4 GB of ram... does this change anything?
    Anyway, do you play live with your setup (Virus+Saffire+Whatever)? Just curious, because most people I've read or talked to say, they won't do any Total Integration whatsoever when playing live with their Viruses.

@ Barely - What is your Pro 40's Firewire Driver Latency Setting on? (You can find it by clicking the settings button in Mix Control) I think by default it is on Very Long, you will have to change it to short if you haven't already done so.

Hey Ruari,
    it's on "long", but all my other Synths do NOT lag (at least not as much that I would notice)
    I have just switched it to "short". The lag is definitely smaller, thanks! :)
    But what does it do to the rest of my setup? I run Logic in live situations, so will there be chops and droputs?
    You know, I'm a little hesitant to change latency settings...

EDIT:
    Now I played a little in that combination, when suddenly the midi notes froze (played from external midi)
    -> all notes off via mono/sync button
    -> total freeze, no sound
    -> after 1 minute: 600-800 ms lag when playing :cursing:
    not good, not good...

Hi there,
    I have just tested the way you told:

I have a Macbook Pro late 08 (intel core2 duo)
    Logic 9, newest version
    Virus TI 2, 4.5.0.16
    Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 hub plugged into a USB port of the MBP
    Focusrite Saffire 40 plugged into Firewire.

When I plug in the Virus, Logic tells me that It has found a new audio interface, and asks if I want to use it . (Logic Pro durchsucht Ihr System nach Audiogeräten und hat das Gerät „Access Virus TI“ gefunden.)
    I click NO (because I need and want to use the Saffire 40).
    the V-synth window starts up properly,
    but now I have about 200ms lag, which is absolutely unplayable for everything except pads.No, I don't have other devices on the hub.

-> unplug
    replug into USB directly on the MacBook.
    Still laggy, but less. I wouldn't play anyhting groovy with that lag (100ms?),

Oh, and the sounds played are ok, but the sound names displayed in the sound browser (where I clicked on them to choose them)
    are totally wrong now.

I didn't have the usual problems today (weird sound glitches), but they don't always show up in a 30 minute session.
    I know, I should probably test it for hours and hours, and I probably will, but to be honest, a piece of hard / software that failed to work properly on 3,4 occasions in the studio is not likely to be taken on stage. And the lag issues (both with and without USB hub) render the whole Total integration thing absolutely useless for me.
    I know there are others (PC?) out there, but for me it doesn't work.
    JUST NOW as I write these lines, the Virus played some random notes by itself. About 3 seconds long total cacaphony.
    Logic was on "stop", so it can't be logic.

So for me, I'm back to classic midi + audio in/out, as the lag is minimal that way.

I still love the virus for its sound, though ;)

Hey Jörg,
    You mean that we should not plug the TI2 directly into the mac, as the manual states, but instead use a hub?
    Really? :) (edit: Now I've seen Marc's request, too... sorry I seem to have overlooked that.)
    I have a Belkin powered 2.0 highspeed hub and will try it this evening.
    Still, I need this hub for other USB devices (mainly midi) in my setup.

GREAT setup you have there ;)
    I guess that it's just too much i/o for Logic to follow.
    I fear upgrading your mac won't help too much. You could check if it works with another software (e.g. Ableton Live). I have the slight feeling that Logic + multiple Audio interfaces (which the TI wants to be) just don't match that well. And no, I wouldn't let go of Logic, either... but just maybe worth a try.
    Good luck!

Hey there great job on the Viruses, so far. I've had two, I gotta know! ;)

An overhaul of the TI2 display would be fine in general, as many people want to and will use their viruses with the hardware interface only.
    Every function of the Virus should be editable in the hardware (arp, for example).

but let's start small: what about a "category lock" function?

It would be great if we could lock the category to, say, basses and then scroll through all basses.
    Oh and one big endless rotary encoder would be great, for this and other functions.
    Cheers,
    Barely.

I have similar problems.
    I'm using Logic 9 and another audio interface (Focusrite Saffire pro 40), and I can't use the settings described in the TI2 Manual for the virus -audio when I have my Saffire running.
    That means, I configure my saffire as always, plug in the TI2.
    Logic then asks me if I want to use the "new audio interface Virus Ti2".
    I say NO, because else it switches off my saffire.
    Though I said no, audio is transmitted through USB, but in many cases jittery(crackling) . When exactly, I don't know. it seems random and lasts a random time, at least a few seconds.
    This is why I mostly unlpug the USB and use MIDI cables and Audio outs. I can live with it, but I can understand that it might drive others mad ;)
    Anyway, it's a great sounding machine - but not perfect, then again, which synth is perfect? ;)

err... hmm... i take that back.. sorry, the more I work on it the more i'm finding that there are more sounds doing it that i didn't realize right away.. any other suggestions for solving the lag?

Thanks friend

hey there!
    For me, updating to the 4.5 public beta OS solved the noise burst and timing issues.
    Also very helpful was to unplug the external hard drive that time machine uses to save, because I always run into timing issues everytime time machine starts- even without the virus ;)

That's a reasonable suggestion and one that crossed my mind too. But that is not what happens. While holding down the shift button, as soon as I take my hand off soft knob one and start turning soft knob three to select the program, it is as if I had never touched knob one and there is no filtering of the programs by category. Even if I don't touch any other knobs, the category name vanishes from the display about one second after I stop turning knob 1 if I am still holding the shift button down. Again, the result is as if I had never selected a category.

Well, either your knob value display time is very short, or it is a bug. At my Ti2, the 3rd knob is for changing the patches. Note that the patches' names are displayed in the menu bar above the display ;)
    As to the knob value display time, I forgot where it is, but I guess you will find it in one of the menus ;)
    Good luck!

4.5?

marc

YARP.

:)
    Thanks!
    That solved the problem (at least I haven't heard the noise today). Plus, it fixed the arpeggiator timing problems I haven't even written about yet.
    So, can we safely assume that this 4.5 is quite almost final? Sure f eels right to me!
    Cheers,
    Barely
    :D

Hey there ;)
    I fear this is almost impossible. It's a sample ("SARARR") , and sample playback ist the only thing the Virus can't.
    If you have an iphone/pad/podtouch, you could download the fairlight app which is a 100% replica of the fairlight,
    and use that sound in your setup. And you'll get the other signature fairlight sounds, as well ;)
    And if you have $20.000 too many on your bank account, you can buy the NEW hardware fairlight CMI-30A from Fairlight sysems ;)
    Cheers,
    Barely

Hi there!
    I have had my virusti2 (new) for about 3 days now,
    in these days it spontaneously bursted out into noise (sounds like it totally crashed, which it probably did).
    it seems to have appeared a little more often (or only) while I was stepping through the presets. can't say exactly.
    It happened in connection with Logic in plugin mode, with the USB cable attached to the TI2, dangling down on the other side,
    and with the cable totally removed, in case you were wondering. The only 2 connections were the power cord and headphones.
    At first I thought I did something wrong, but now it has been the 5th or 6th time.
    The last time it didn't stop, so I had to switch it off.
    Do I need to send it back (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO) or is it a common problem that will be addressed with a patch?
    I have the newest TI OS 4.0.5.0.1
    Cheers,
    Barely.

let me just copy the answer from the internal virus forum:
    http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2590

You have to copy the files (.mid) to the install location of the factory presets.
    On a mac this is in /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Patches (please note that this is in the ROOT folder/library/App... it is not in USERNAME/Library/... I searched for the folder, found the wrong one and aksed myself why it didn't work)
    On Windows the location is "My Documents/Access Music/Virus TI/Patches"

Cheers,
    Barely.

Hi there :)
    I recently bought a TI2 (yeehaw!)
    Before I sell my KB, I want to transfer the banks above B from my virus KB to my Ti2. (mainly because I can't find the sounds on it here
    in the downloads section)
    I can't dump banks other than A and B
    I can't copy the whole bank C (or D or E) to A or B
    Do I have to manually copy all sounds from the banks, like , C1 to A1, C2 to A2, ... (128 times) and then dump bank A?
    Is there any more convenient way you know? :)

Trouble is that I have a newer Mac, so Sounddiver is nowhere to be found.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)
    Cheers,
    Barely.
    :D

Hey there!
    The process worked fine for sound banks I have downloaded from the access website.
    However, the banks I dumped from my virus KB (on a Mac, via SysEx Librarian, saved as .mid file) don't work.
    I have a single bank that I CAN dump to my KB, but the Virus TI software ignores that bank, it doesn't show up in the browser,
    even after re-scanning the AU instruments in Logic.
    Does anybody have a clue if I have to save it in another format or what can be done?

Cheers,
    Barely.
    edit: solved: SysEx Librarian didn't work properly. I opened the midi files from SysexLibrarian in Logic, exported region as .mid again and it worked.
    Jörg from access support was so nice as to point me to the possibility to connect the OLD Virus to the NEW virus via midi and send the patches over directly *doh* So simple.... :)

Here you are.

-timo

Just in case somebody else is still searching for the patches folder on his mac:
    My mac had some Library and some patches folders, rendering the search function quite useless. It is the /Library/App..... - folder that is right in your root folder.
    For me, this was Macintosh HD/Library/app, NOT USERNAME/LIbrary/app.

Hope that saves people some time :D

Cheers,
    Barely.