Beiträge von muzikman2008

I was surfing the net, my Virus connected, NO DAW WAS RUNNING, and my Virus decided to play a patch with an Arp running (which was set and played as it should) very strange!!! a USB command prob??

I think i have seen this prob before on here but thought... nah! :|

I always have Virus connected... not a prob but...Strange!!!

Any clues??? 8|

Hmmm... good idea.. never thought about trying that. 8) should work in theory!... by routing drummers kit mix into virus inputs and using atomizer as normal. That will screw your drummer up... lol... :thumbup:

I dont think atomiser outputs midi sync tho... would be nice in a future update?...

Analogue outs bypasses another stage in audio processing... its logical Cap'n! 8) thats why i use this method. think about it!... the more processes in the audio/digital path, the more delay you will get??? and as the Virus is USB 1 the slower the transfer.... send to the virus via PC/MAC output via analogue outs on Virus, to mixer... sorted!... not USB out of virus... oooh nooo! bad move.. nice in "theory" but not with USB 1... i must admit that Access is using USB to its extremes (in my opinion) that is way above what USB 1 is capable of. its great for editing Virus Control (and capable) but if you expect to run Audio, Midi, And the like back and forth down a "serial" data bus you WILL run into trouble! no getting away from it!..

If you are experiencing trouble using ASIO USB VIRUS soundcard (because thats what it is) then use "ANALOGUE outs" only music snobs use hi rez digital outs....

Now theres a subject!!!??? :D

C'mon!!!

This reminds me of the Philips Digital Compact Cassette Versus Compact Disc argument, Technologies move on, and Virus is no different, it depends on consumer demand at the end of the day... 8)

Betamax V VHS?... SPDIF V lightpipe, ... i have been through so much technology change, i always think "this is it!" all i need!... even USB 1 was a god send... just accept it and adapt... move on as and when,... manufactureres are just one step ahead of consumers (you and me) so enjoy the ride, as you cannot force a manufacturer to please all the people all the time... and i should know!... :wacko:

muzikman2008 - do you experience issues around latency? Does the Virus play slightly ahead in live mode as Flabberbob said?

I dont have latency issues as i dont use my virus like most people. I send midi via USB from Reaper via USB, (sync is perfect) i can open VC in reaper using a template to control the Virus either in real time or just for programming and saving patches, and using the librarian in VC.

Midi is then taken from Virus Thru port (physical) to then sync my other gear such as Alesis SR18 drum machine, which syncs in time with the metronome in reaper perfectly. I record the analogue outs of virus into my Edirol UA-1000 USB2 Audio capture Rack, which returns via USB to my DAW using Rolands own ASIO drivers set at 10mS. This delivers next to no latency (or unoticeable at least.) for me.

I could also rout the Edirol (physical) Midi out to the Virus (physical) midi in too if i wanted, and just control VC over USB, and record each part on a seperate track in Reaper, i find it easier to record seperate "Audio" tracks instead of midi, unless i really need the flexibility... but im not normal, and look for other ways of doing things if i can :D

I never use the Virus USB Audio outs as it is unreliable sometimes (as most people say) for reasons i gave above. USB1 can easily get overloaded with data, and should be kept to a minimum the amount of data you send thru it in my opinion anyway... if its just midi... it should be fine... but audio is a bit like "how long is a peice of string?" it depends on how many tracks, processing power of PC, Quality of USB hardware/software drivers, bla bla... the list goes on... Virus should have been USB2 in my opinion... but hey ho... it is what it is... and people will complain until Access introduce USB2 i suppose.

Having said all that, The Viirus is a great sounding, versatile synth, which is why i bought it.. im not fussed with PC control of a synth much either, would be nice if it did work 100% all the time but i still feel its mainly down to how people set up their PC/Mac etc.

Just use the Physical midi ports and ignore USB if its driving you nuts!... make music not headaches! lifes toooo short! :thumbup:

I use my Virus this way... works more reliably than using USB Audio via Virus. I think the amount of data going through the USB port as well as Midi data is half the problem people are having with sync issues too, and Analogue outs are just fine for me, as long as you use a low noise good desk, or SPDIF outs even... but you are limited to 1 X stereo out instead of 3 X Analogue outs.but it depends on your requirements.

VC works fine using Cockos Reaper DAW for me this way too, so long as you select Direct monitoring & Live mode... 8)

Open a fresh DAW project, import the MIDI file (you will not see notes, just controller/sysEx data), then export it back again to a MIDI file, while setting "Standard MIDI file type 0" in the export settings. I believe that newer versions of VC recognize both file types, but I could be wrong... And while we are on the subject of downloading patches from the Access site - where did the vuvuzela patch go?

The same way as the England football team went lol :D

Same here!... ROM p-91 Puncher JS did it... but only once after about 1 mins solid playing.... after i adjusted parameters the pops vanished... very odd...
    With the other RAM c-59, i altered the FX section, resaved it and it is ok now... (so far)...
    Prob some cross over between parameters of previous Operating Systems in my opinion, alas the new FX??? hope that helps :thumbup:

yes there are over 3000 sounds in the Virus, and selecting the right one is time consuming. However, if you press "shift" and move the "category" soft knob 1 (under the LCD screen) you will get categories of sounds, Basses, FX, Leads, Strings, etc... just press "Value +/-" to right of soft knobs to go thru the sounds in them categories.

Or even better, use the Virus Control software on ur PC/Mac loaded into your DAW for more control using its librarian/Browser. Theres lots of info on here regarding VC (virus Control).

You can have control or random patches...its your choice :) theres even a "randomise" patch selection to get you started on creating new sounds, this has weird unexpected effects sometimes but worth a play with...

Once you understand the "access way" of doing things its quite intuitive...

Have fun 8)