Posts by BC

Found a fairly useful little workaround today which might interest those of you who want glide in their step sequences :)

First set the following parameter values:

ARP

Mode = Up
    Pattern = User
    Oct Range = 1

MATRIX

Source = Arp Input
    Destination = Transpose
    Amount = +63 (max)

OSC PAGE

Osc 1 Keyfollow = Off
    Osc 2 Keyfollow = Off

Set Semitone of both oscillators to the root of the key you want the sequence to be in - I find it easiest to work with a single oscillator for these kind of patches.

Portamento = 30 (approx)

COMMON PAGE

Key Mode = Mono 4 (or 2, but not 1 or 3)

When you have done all this, set the Arp steps to the desired pitches. Velocity=64 will result in a pitch of middle C, every inc/dec by value of 1 will shift the pitch by a semitone.

For those steps where you want a glide effect, be sure to set Step Length to 127.

Now, if you just play one key, there will be no glide, but if you play two keys, you will get a glide effect wherever you have created a legato step by setting length to 127. The wider apart the two keys you play, the more intense the glide will be :)

The downside is that the sequence will be in a fixed key, so no matter what notes you play, it won't make a difference. However, you can still automate Osc1 or 2 pitch in your sequencer, or you can set up two custom changes via the pitch bender.

Oh, and be sure that the Amp Envelope Sustain is not set too low (or if it is, keep Decay relatively long) otherwise the portamento is switched off.

Have fun 8)

I tried disconnecting the USB now, and it still lags. Perhaps a slight slight improvement, but only bearly noticable.
    So; I'm going to downgrade mine to OS3 again and wait for Access-Music to fix this issue.

Too bad:'(

Please try holding down ARP EDIT when you connect the power cable. It may simply be that your TI needs a reset.

Vowel Filter: Softknob to freg shifter freq not working
    Comb Filter: Softknob to freg shifter freq not working

Yes - bug.

Matrix: Freg Shifter Mix not assignable as destination

Not a bug - this should be on a wishlist.

Matrix: Arp to Osc Wave select works only in normal conditions for Classic Oscillator

Not a bug - Wave select can only be modulated in Classic Oscillator mode. This is true for all modulation sources and cannot and will not be changed.

Arp: Right click doesn´t work; cannot fill up pattern

Works fine here - what's your OS and sequencer host?

Classic Delay 1/ 2 behaves like a 1/4 delay

Not if you increase the tempo - if you run at too slow a tempo, the absolute time value of a 1/2 note exceeds the maximum delay time. In this case, the Virus chooses the most musical alternative, i.e. a 1/4 note. The threshold for this is 162 bpm. The same thing happens if you try to use 1/4 note delay at a tempo of 81 bpm or lower - the Virus will automatically switch this to 1/8 notes.

I tried everything as u said, but it does't work --> no effect at all !

neither to patch volume nor to osc volume, and no effect when i have medium values of them...
    any ideas what goes wrong here?!

thx a lot!

You are using a mix of values of 0 or 127 for the arp step velocity, right? If you set them all to the same value, you will just get a constant offset, so no gating effect.

Try this:

ARP MODE = ArpToMatrix - I find ARP RESOLUTION = 1/32 or faster to be best.

Choose Pattern = USER - Enable all steps, and set each one to Velocity 0 or 127. Adjacent steps of the same value will result in a constant On/Off state.

MOD SOURCE = Arp Input, DESTINATION = Osc Volume (if you still want traditional Delay/Verb) or Patch Volume (if you want to gate the Delay/Verb as well) AMOUNT = +63

Now the important bit: Set the chosen target parameter (Patch/Osc Vol) to it's middle setting. You won't get a proper gate effect if they are set higher than this!

Modulating Amp Sustain will not give you a gate effect.

HTH

Same here, could have been soo much better.

Try this:

ARP MODE = ArpToMatrix - I find ARP RESOLUTION = 1/32 or faster to be best.

Choose Pattern = USER - Enable all steps, and set each one to Velocity 0 or 127. Adjacent steps of the same value will result in a constant On/Off state.

MOD SOURCE = Arp Input, DESTINATION = Osc Volume (if you still want traditional Delay/Verb) or Patch Volume (if you want to gate the Delay/Verb as well) AMOUNT = +63

Now the important bit: Set the chosen target parameter (Patch/Osc Vol) to it's middle setting. You won't get a proper gate effect if they are set higher than this!

Modulating Amp Sustain will not give you a gate effect.

HTH

All i did was link control03 (or whatever) to osc2 pitch with -1, then set up a soft knob as control03, does exactly what's needed, surely? It certainly downtunes rather than uptunes osc2...

Although, having said that - for very small detunes it seems pretty random what actual detune value it takes... I tried to detune it with the normal tune, then but it back in tune with the soft knob, but it wont do it consistently

Also, note that OSC3 does downtune with its detune - though OSC3 is not as flexible, i know.

This technique is good for fine-tuning any parameter - the only problem is that it won't save the position of the soft knob with the patch, so it is only useful for realtime tweaking.

Can't you just put that OSC a semitone down then detune it up? Same result.

:D That had me running to the Virus to see if I hadn't been missing the simplest solution ever for over a decade!

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to be sufficient, unless you want a severe, 'Zombie Nation' type detune.

There is a workaround:

Set LFO1 to a square wave.
    Set LFO1 Contour to +63
    Use LFO1>Osc2 Pitch in negative amounts to detune downwards.

Maybe an even better result would be to set (LFO1>) Osc1Pitch and Osc2 Pitch amounts to opposite values, i.e. Osc1 = -12.5% and Osc2 = +12.5%.

Be sure not to use Env Mode and remember to use the hard-wired LFO1>Pitch assignments in the MODULATORS section - using the mod matrix for this won't work properly.

Of course, you tie up LFO1 by doing this.

I should like to add at this juncture that any given time-frame can be measured in weeks and/or days - I could even have said "minutes" and, technically speaking, I would still have been correct ;)

The problem with this, is that the softknobs are not freely-assignable to any individual parameters - they are restricted to the current list which consists mostly of parameters for which there is no dedicated controller. With a right-click context menu like (I think) you are suggesting, it would be inapplicable to a large number of controllers.