Beiträge von DizX

Virus Ti2 USB Audio & Midi works like a charm with Mystery Islands Editor Plugin Build 9001 on LPX M1max Monterey 12.3.1 ...

still Schande über Kemper und Co. not able to do it by now.

I have it fully working all over USB (Audio+Midi) with the newest MysteryIsland Audio unit and the USB-Midi Driver from https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver (You need to compile it yourself). It is fast and more responsive, no audio desync like in the past was with the official Audio Unit.

The SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver works great! It feels way more stable and faster than regular midi implimentation with mysteryislands virus editor. (using macOS Monterey version 12.1). If we only could get USB Audio to work, I am happy.

I have given up. It amazes me that they still dare to advertise it on the box that it support MacOS. A thing they could do is just release the code open source, and let us the community build a working plugin.

There are some already building amazing implimentation without having any documentations. Only the audio class is proprietary, hopefully they find a working arround for that too.

Hey Marc / Access Team,

we are waiting since years (2016) about updates which never comes, can you please do a statement if the Virus just became abandonware on the software side so we can move on and find a different solution?

No discussion it's a great synth, but the support just feels like it became abandonware, and for a 1500+ dollars gear we have the right to know what is going on in your HQ.

They should remove the "MacOS" support from the box.

Funny, I stumbled upon an add on marktplaats (dutch version of ebay), where someone is claiming to have a workaround for working with the Virus on Big Sur doing everything over USB. He is providing an implementation of the solution for 95 euro. It’s a fair price. But I am curious what he does to make it work. And if it really works….

Looks kind of scetchy to me. Did he decompile it and rewritten the audio and fixed the errors with usb midi?

Well this is the issue I have with it, they give a non answer. If they are stopping the "access brand", just tell us, we can deal with it. The problem I have is the communication is SHIT. If they told us, they are working on something but really need time, that would give comfort to know they aren't forgetting us.

The other problem I have is that the TI2 is still sold as "Total integration on MacOS", something that is far from the truth. It's misleading and enough to sue them over it.

They could have fixed it in maybe one week of programming, it is a simple as replacing the audio driver (Ploytec already provided it) and fix the hard crash on Big Sur.

What I would suggest to all Virus users who upgraded their Macs etc is to stop giving a fuck about the whole control integration dog turd etc. Virus excels at sound and that's where its POWER. Use Sysex librarian to transfer patches, and use basic Midi to interconnect with your daw.

There might be some weird and unexpected stuff going on at the company which we can't know for sure, focus on making music, Virus is the best synth. My Polar bad boy makes me very happy and cures my depression, even more so than Playstation 5 lol.

Godspeed!

Problem is more the non communication and that they still sell the Virus with the promise of integration with MacOS. If they openly communicated that they stopped supporting MacOS and removed it from their advertisement, I would understand.

The most frustrating part about the support if you email them, you get an message back they do very secretly about the continuing support? The audio driver has been send to them from the third party audio interface that is in the virus, but somehow they don't do anything.

As more people here like myself has offered to write plugin for MacOS Catalina, Big Sur ect; If they would open source the code.

Never gonna happen, they fully stopped development for the virus and it’s software. It will soon break on windows too, as some future changes to windows will break the plugin...

OK Big Sur is released as well as Logic Pro 10.6. I can't install the new version of Logic because I'm stuck on 10.14.6 to keep my Virus TI compatible.

Access, why don't you update the plugin? Is that a money issue? Would it help to create a fundraising page?

You can run Logic Pro X 10.5.1 with Mojave, 10.6 breaks the compatibility with Mojave. So you and I are stuck with Logic Pro 10.5.1 and Mojave, if we want to keep using the virus Ti.

I have been looking into hacking the drivers a bit, but problem is the solution would be that we have to disable system integration protection. As when I make changes to these kernel extensions, the are no longer signed correctly to be loaded. Also Big Sur dropped support for kernel extensions, giving no option to make this work on Big Sur.

Still annoying that nobody of Access GmbH takes the time to help us get to a workable solution, without having to stick with old OS or anything else. Making the source code of the plugin public would go a long way, as I and some others here have the knowhow to create a working driver and release this free and open for everybody to contribute and make better.

I'm surprised you got that to work since Apple discontinued support for HAL plugins in Catalina.

But the method you're describing is the same principle as just using a normal audio interface for the analog outs though. Nothing new.

This does not fix the midi timing problem. This is a problem with the VirusVC plugin. When using the plugin, your host can't send midi directly to the virus. Only through the plugin.

If the audio started working outside of the plugin and breaks on installing of the plugin, I can only think of one reason:

Newest update of MacOS comes with native drivers for the sound interface that is used for audio over USB in the virus. When you install the virus plugins the audio drivers of MacOS are overridden, this explains why the audio interface stops working after install.

Now I got maybe an idea, I could test out if replacing the audio drivers in the virus install to the new MacOS drivers (or those of the manufacturer of the audio interface). It really depends on how deep the integration is of the audio driver in the code of the virus, and if they use the same API calls. If I only had the source code I would be able to fix this shit myself. It would be an amazing compromise if they released the source-code, under a license you have to release an app for free. What worries me too is that they lost the source code and maybe this is the reason why no updates are coming out...

I'm currently working on a new update for "Touch for Virus" which runs on iPadOS. This version will add an import feature for patch libraries in midi format. This has been the most requested feature since I've released the first version.

This means you can eassely import all the patches you have available in the vst plugin.

You might or might not want to use an iPad in your setup, I don't know. Just in case it sounds interesting to you: this update is finished, and I'm testing it right now. I expect it to be released somewhere this month.

You should be able to compile it for MacOS too with Catalyst. One thing I miss these days with a lot of vintage synths is a patch librarian like sounddiver back in the day.

I see you are from the Netherlands too!

your argument is not valid , you in The wrong thread maybe read the subject . Let them mention then to suppliers and all selling platform that this synth doesn’t work with Mac OS Current day systems , it’s outdated , it just work for windows. Still illegal selling it the way it is now with no disclaimer. You have Windows good for you but you might want to consider other people with your arguments.

Yes, false advertisement is enough reason to sue. This falls under EU customer protection law. We could start a class action lawsuit against Access Virus GmbH or/and Kemper GmbH. I am thinking of contact a lawyer and see what the option are, main reasons are: no communication and still false advertisement.

I have an old Mac Pro tower I use with Mojave purely for Music.

The plugin under Mojave is unstable and very slow. It will take about sometimes 2 to 3 minutes to start up the plugin in Logic.

I have been looking into different solutions to get my virus working on Catalina / Big Sur (did some beta's here and there). The Mystery Islands plugins are really unstable for me and there is a big hassle to use it (create 3 tracks), the should have integrated that you could select audio input in the plugin itself and re-route it to the Virtual Instrument Channel.

Another option I have been looking into was some kind of patch management software like back in the day "SoundDiver". I couldn't find anything that could help me manage patches/multis for any of my synths. I don't mind having an stand-alone application for patch management. If anyone got suggestions for this?

Like DJTobes I am annoyed mostly by the non-communication, if they stopped development just say so. If they are having problems, just let the community know, maybe we can even help finding solutions. Another option would have been releasing the plugins/drivers as open source so we could as community can do it what they aren't doing.