Beiträge von DizX

I have been lookin into the Virus B too here. I have one too, next to my Virus Ti Polar.

I have downloaded Emagic Sounddiver (very old software) and use it in a Virtual Machine on Windows XP. I was thinking of using my old mac mini G4 for that, but problem is midi interface should still be accessible on machine with the DAW. With a Virtual machine I can easily switch my midi interface between host and VM.

Never did research for modern software that has support for older synts. There could be some, but this was a quick solutions for me.

No offence - but you couldn't be further from the mark with your hypothesis around "old chips" and "low level machine code" support. It doesn't work that way.

A higher-level language (such as C++) compiles down to processor byte code - it's not about the processor supporting e.g. C++ - it's about the higher-level language supporting compilation for a particular processor.

Anyway - as I understand it - the issue here is Access relied on a 3rd party for the OSX driver / USB audio integration code. It's dependent on that 3rd party making available a new release of this code for Catalina. Once this happens they are then reliant on finding a resource who can integrate this new code into their Mac Virus code base - and this in itself is a fairly big task end-to-end and they are looking to hire (maybe).

As Ploytec told me, Access Virus GmbH has the new OSX core audio code for the USB audio part. As I saw a interview with Kemper, he told straight that his focus is not on "Access Virus" anymore, but on the Kemper products now. This maybe explains the lack of support and development of new drivers. I really was hoping on a Access Virus Ti3.. but a person only can dream right?

I have some words back from Ploytec:

In short they said that Access Virus GmbH already has the new driver code for some time now. It's would only be a matter of time before they would release the macOS Catalina drivers.

I am the first to admit I was wrong about my above statements. It was my poor judgement and lack off information that made me think Access Virus GmbH wasn't working on the future of the "Virus Ti".

Yep, very striking how they turn defensive as soon as you ask about an update.

If they would be upfront about it, I can make some changes. Now I am holding on to a Mojave machine.

I had a reply back from the Ploytec, they are curious about what "Access Virus GmbH" has said in their support email.

My opinion about it is: Access Virus GmbH doesn't want to pay a licensing fee for new drivers and decided not to develop a new driver for macOS Catalina. They don't want to burn down the bridge for now as they are still in negotiation with Ploytec GmbH. Problem I see here is that they still sell the Access Virus Ti2 as new, with the same Polytec Audio solution. Big audio equipment resellers still sell it with "Mac" support label on it. All new macs sold don't support macOS Mojave or lower.

I have emailed Access Virus support.

They don't want to tell me if there will be an update in the future for macOS Catalina. If they don't want to be open about this, mostly means they can't or will not make an update for macOS Catalina.

For example:

Motu: I have a Motu 896HD, I send a email to them in the beta period of Catalina with the question if there was going to be support for it. They told me directly they are working on it and driver will be available. The driver was released on 2nd of Januari for macOS Catalina. Long support for products gives trust in companies, my next audio interface will be a Motu again.

Steinberg: Steinberg was really open about that they won't be supporting some older audio interfaces on the new macOS. One of the reasons I have dropped all my Steinberg products.

Here the text I got back from Access Virus:

Zitat

"We do not have any updates in regards to macOS Catalina compatibility at this point. Once we have news we will certainly post these as these soon as available.

We in general do not comment on future developments."

Any updates?

Ploytec driver for MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) is out, but no update from Virus them selfs? I don't mind that they are still working on it, but a little open communication and honesty would make a big difference. Maybe they need to buy a new license for de Ploytec driver and don't want to-do that? I am willing to pay a fee for a new driver update.

I pity the people who just bought a new mac and cannot downgrade to Mojave to make use of the Virus. The Virus TI2 is still sold.