Beiträge von tonipsycho

I don't know the precise terms. In FM synthesis, you use two 'sounds' and magic happens, and I like to use FM synthesis for some of my sound design in the Virus.
    But the routing options are too limited. I pretty much have only FM amount, and of course i can choose which wave i use, thats great. And very interesting results can be created.

However, I would like to see a further development of the FM synthesis part. Think modular FM, similar to FL studio's Toxic Biohazard software plugin, or NI's FM8 software synth. Basically, you can several basic waves (Sine, Triangle, Square, Saw...) and up to a total of say, 6 basic wave, then you would be able to use wave 1 to modulate wave 2, wave 4 to modulate wave 3, wave 3 to modulate wave 1, and so on. And imagine, you can also use LFOs to vary the results of each! This sort of thing for sound design, would be awesome to have, and its mostly applicable in Dubstep, or some other form of electronic music maybe? Once I got a little in depth with FM synthesis, I quickly realized the power of it for sound design. One hardware synth i know uses a more detailed FM synthesis is the Elektron Monomachine. Forget the fact that they have implemented SID emulation, but the FM+ 'machine' they have, is an example of the kind of FM synthesis that is useful and just opens up more options.

As someone who like to make their 'samples' or 'patches' from zero, this could be a considerable addition to the already powerful hardware. The issue is not hardware, its just the OS implementation. This could be one way of doing it, I have say 4 parts active with certain waves I have used (basic or wavetables, etc), then for FM sound i could have access to the other parts sound, and vice versa, like part 1's say sine wave could affect part 4's square wave, and part 3's wavetable wave, could also affect part 1's sine wave, with some of the parts' output / patch volume or whatever muted, and so on. See picture below for an idea of how it can look like.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.image-line.com/extimages/ToxicBiohazard-fullSize.jpg]

or that one

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www.creatingtrance.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/How-to-Make-a-Filtered-Prog-Trance-Saw-Lead-with-FM8.png]

The Virus TI2 is a very powerful hardware, it has great potential to grow and mutate further.

One idea would be, for example, say you have your multi mode, with those 16 parts, each with its own stuff. And in integration with Cubase or any other DAW that you use, being able to make stuff for each of the 16 parts, each one of course has its own FXs.

But what if, say, we'd have the ability to chain FX? That is, in the simplest vision, route the signal of the preceding part to the input of the next part (similar idea to what the Elektron Octatrack does with its different type of 'Machines'). So, for sound design aspect, the user would be able to create a 'patch', with say part 1, but take advantage of the power of the Virus TI, use the FX blocks, and then use more FX blocks from other parts, making it like a multi-FX unit of some sort. I don't know how that would be implemented without messing up the known work flow of the Virus. So for example, you want to use Reverb, then put through Delay, then put through Distortion, then perhaps Bit Reduction, then maybe split the signal, and mess with further FXs. So typically in any DAW - Cubase, FL Studio, Propellerhead's Reason, you can do that, route FX in a complex way to create new interesting energy for a sound. Or for hardware FX unit, Lexicon MX400 can do something like that.

An alternative work-around for that would be using a sampler like Elektron Octatrack, or using any of the DAW i mentioned above (or hardware FX unit), or NI Guitar Rig 5 (for guitarists, etc). But the Virus could, at least in theory, given the specs - be able to do this kind of thing. So maybe in some future OS update, this kind of idea, would be awesome to consider. Imagine having even just one 'sound' or 'patch' with accessible FX parts from each 16 parts? plus parallel and/or serial routing, the Virus would be virtually unbeatable!

Having read the above notes, I'd like to add, perhaps, the overall mutation/ randomize patch kinda ability would be useful, similar to what Absynth of Native Instruments (Software synth) have. Its a simpler great way of either making new patches from existing patches, or having some sort of variation of your own patch. That makes for a great creative way to vary things. In Absynth 5, for example, i have taken a patch, and mutated it several times over, one mutation on top of the other, and things quickly change. And i would say this can be a very powerful feature for an already powerful hardware! :)