Beiträge von optik

it's actually pretty good; although it doesn't stand out as much as it could - these kind of tracks need to do so many things in the space of 4 minutes to keep the ADD generation of Dub/hard step lovers interested - it needs breaks, effects and drops all over it to really do well and to stand out in the absolute sea of these kind of tracks being release

Quite nicely produced and sounds good on my system - might be lacking a bit of bass

good work though

[soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

Toby Shark - Sharkin - 138bpm - plenty of virus

and

[soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]

Optik's harder remix - 140bpm

any comments or criticisms appreciated =)
    T

I#'m using it without problems (7.5.2) x64

I always have my virus loaded as the first synth in the rack - I use a template to ensure that it's always in my projects in this slot - seems to avoid the problems that can occur if you insert it half way through a project.

it is possible to insert after you start a project, by putting the virus into sleep mode and then inserting the vsti, saving the project and then reloading it- I find I have fewer problems if I do this into the top slot so tend to move the top vsti that is originally in the project to lower in the rack.

hope this helps

t

virus control is a multi input multi output vst - there is a template for logic supplied with the driver isn't there?

(you only need ne VC for several channels - is this what you are asking?)

Why not just get it repaired at an authorised repair shop?

the only leads that came with my virus were a USb and power cable, not that hard to find - I have no idea why you'd need the manufacturer for these standard items?

I don't think you should blame access for problems you're having with a physically damaged, second user synth, or even complain too much about being unable to directly procure replacement parts: why not just get the part number of the potentiometer and buy one from an electronics supplier?

I think many of the issues to do with different sound in VC than in standalone mode are removed if you work at 48khz. I always used to work at 44, but recently thought I'd test the Virus at 48khz and I think it sounds much better. It's annoying in Cubase to switch sample rates, but well worth it - I always thought the virus sounded dead in Cubase, now I run at 48khz it sounds just like it does in standalone mode.

i hope this helps

T Shark

Hi guys,

I've finally realised that at least on my machine, there is a pretty serious conflict with Google Chrome (the web browser) and Cubase/Virus (Windows X64)

If I have Chrome running in the background I am usually unable to export in real-time without getting CPU overload errors - when I quit Chrome, the Virus exports much better, without causing errors.

Also, if chrome is running I tend to experience weird timing issues, like the virus latency increasing massively - without Chrome running in the background, these issues almost completely go away.

There appears to be some conflict with Chrome and Cubase/Virus on my machine, hopefully this will help someone else. I know you are supposed to have just audio stuff running on your DAW, but this is not always possible, and this conflict cost me loads of time and I have finally worked it out - now my production time is far more productive!

T Shark

I have this problem a lot with the virus - I'm doing a real-time export and the sounds I use are heavy on the DSP. The tracks tend to play back fine in real-time although I am certain that there are a few notes being lost due to the lack of polyphony when playing complex sounds (it really can get down to being about three notes at once if you have complex sounds)

my issue is that I'm happy with the occasional note being lost, and in fact sometimes my arrangements make use of it, but when it comes to export the virus just messes up my workflow.

Usually I have to solo out virus tracks and export them to a wav file before I have any hope of exporting correctly and even then, If I've pushed a sound past the polyphony limit (or at least towards it) I constantly get cpu overload errors which stop the export. I generally have to thin the part down and export in two takes. This is extremely frustrating and means I have little motivation to finish songs as I know the export is going to be a nightmare. It takes hours to get a track to the state where I can export it when the Virus is involved - I have no issues when it isn't involved.

Is there any way around this? (apart from recording the live outs, which isn't going to happen as this is just a work around rather than a solution)

is anyone else having similar issues?

The best solution for me would be that VC dealt with export as a true VSTi and did the DSP calculations in non-real time, either on the host CPU or on the virus hardware. I can only think of this enforced limitation as protection of hardware sales,but there must be some way of using the virus as a super dongle in non-real time export mode.

i am also aware that this behavior shouldn't really be happening and it's possible that my hardware configuration is to blame, but every other aspect of the VC and Virus works just fine.

any help would be appreciated

T

I tend to use the sleep function by pressing the two transpose buttons.

i usually only have a problem with no sound when the sequencer has crashed or not exited properly - a quick check of the task manager (to look for cubase.exe in my case) and kill it if it's still there, followed by a sleep/restart of the virus tends to allow me to play again

hope this helps

I'd like to see some kind of implementation to gradualy morph between patches - ideally that the automation from several/all parameters could be sent to the host by clicking a button in VC, then you could change patch a bit later in the track and hit the button again that would send again - using automation in the host you could easily ramp from one patch to the next. I understand that there would be stepping issues with things like fx and osc modes, but it could ne an interesting feature that seemingly might not be too difficult to do (as it's just VC, not DSP). The downside of this is that it would create hundereds of automation lanes, but it would still be cool!
    ideally it would be great to have DSP morphing to smoothly transition between osc modes and fx modes, but I understand that this would be a major thing to do.

Theredfox - thankyou for taking so much time to post such a detailed response! - I really appreciate it and the clarity of your comments.
    I'm working out the kinks in this one still and have taken on board your comments - I think the tracjk is getting better as a result.
    The bass at 2:39 is a combination - a bit sidechained and a bit offset - it's three basslines - a sub which is offset and different sidechained arps in the L and R chanels.
    here's the new version - it still needs an intro and an outro!
    http://soundcloud.com/clubshar…/new-toby-shark-attention
    cheers!

you can use your other audio card with the virus - it's what I do here.
    You need the virus connected via usb, but in the Virus Control panel you can route outputs from the virus to either the physical outputs of the virus or the USB (which means through your audio card) outputs. Right click on the little D next to the patch name in VC and you''ll see a drop down with all of the outputs.
    best
    T

Thanks Zillatrooper and Marc
    - Marc
    so is it a bug that it reports multiple ins to Asio4all? - can this behaviour be cured so it shows 2 correct ins and outs which would then enable me to combine it with my Focusrite sound card in Asio4all and gain an extra set of ins and outs - at the moment it seems that the Virus soundcard is not compatible with Asio4all.
    thanks

maybe a screenshot would help a bit - I don't get it..
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.optik.org.uk/asio.JPG
    so cubase is confused enough to let me assign input 5 and 6 of the virus as input busses - this seems not right to me.. I would get it more if it allowed me to assign them as output busses, but only two show up, and no matter what I do I can't make it make any sound when I just use the virus in Asio4all
    Edit - Actually - I do get what your saying - the internals of the virus dictate the need for such a driver - to route sound from the synth engine, through the sequencer via 3 stereo input pairs. so the sumation is that you can't use Asio4all with the virus as an audio driver, i.e. to obtain an extra input and output pair in cubase?

thanks Marc - I agree -
    But when used as a soundcard, the perspective is somewhat fixed; an output is sound coming from the computer and the input is sound going into it -
    am I confused that the Virus can act as a 2in to out soundcard? - if it can act in this way I would expect that the jacks marked input 1 (L+R) on the back of the virus would correspond to inputs when Aiso4all is used as the driver, and that the outputs marked output 1 (L+R) would act as outputs in the Asio4all driver config.
    i recognise that the virus can't act as a 2in 6out soundcard (can it?) but a simple test would be to fire up your favourite sequencer, use aiso4all as the driver and see if you can get any sound to come out of the virus - I can't. I suspect the reason is that Asio4all is trying to play sound out of the wrong port.
    if I am correct in assuming the Virus can act as a 2in 2out soundcard, then surely Aiso4all should report 2 inputs and 2 outputs, not 6 and 2 as it does..
    thanks for helping with this, I recognise that this isn't officially an Acess issue, rather an issue using Access stuff!

cheers flabberbob - I like the latral nature of your thinking!
    The only issue with doing it this way is that to use external fx in cubase, you can set up a configuration that loads every time cubase starts - and with a bit of tweaking can translate to other systems/studios. if I use the VC method, I rely on other studios having the virus, and can't use the i/o as an input FX
    Can anyone confirm that the virus shows up in Asio4all as a 2 out 6 in device rather than a 2 in 6 out device?
    i've tried earlier versions of Asio4all, but each shows the same problem, and I dn't remember noticing the problem on 4.x (although, having the Virus audio driver enabled in 4.x made my system crash a lot, so I had it disabled most of the time!)
    If it's just my system, I'll tweak some more - but I have a feeling it's because the Virus audio driver does not tags it's ins and outs correctly. It seems to report it's outs as "Render" and it's ins a "Capture" to Asio4all, which may be causing the problem, and strangely the spdif doesn't show up at all..