Beiträge von mobiustrip

I have now been using the TI Desktop for about 5 years.

I love it, and find it very useful in my mainly software setup. I basically just use Ableton and my Virus now, with a few VST's.

In my projects, I will use all channels I possibly can with the Virus, which always stuns me how well it handles the task.

The issue I have regularly tho, is when I changed from one virus channel to the next, the hardware rotary encoders are all out of sync.

If the hardware had endless rotary encoders, this issue would not occur.

I would think for a hardware synth that has multiple simultaneous instrument channels as on of its major attractions,
    endless rotary encoders would be a good choice.

There would be no need to have endless encoders with flashy lights either, as we some on some controllers. They just look tacky.

I love my Virus, and this is my only suggestion.
    It is not a complaint as it is not really that big a deal...
    It is just something that would make it even better for me....

I wholeheartedly recommend that every new,
    and old,
    Access Virus owner,
    complete the tutorial manual.
    It is well worth the effort,
    and,
    I must say,
    a lot of fun.

I used to think,
    that i had,
    a good grasp on sound design,
    and a good understanding ,
    of the capabilities,
    of this wonderful machine.

I was,
    I admit now,
    sadly mistaken.
    in fact,
    i was purely,
    and utterly,
    deluded.

I must now thank,
    Access,
    for giving us a wonderful instrument,
    with the sonic depth of the ocean..

I also must thank,
    Howard Scarr,
    for teaching us the breathing techniques
    that allows us to function at/in such depths.

yours sincerely and gratefully,

Brendon Leary.

aka/ a.mobius.trip

ok this is a funny little issue.

what happens is this.

i will have a patch installed in ableton live 8.3 and will have my groove on.

it is hard to describe what happens next.

at random, the patch will have a little click and then descend in pitch rapidly. it almost seems like it slows down as the pitch drops. a bit like a turntable getting slowed down and the subsequent pitch drop.

at first i thought it was a part of the patch. but then i noticed it starting on more and more patches.

i am completely miffed by this.

will an OS update fix this. or even re-installing the OS i am using. which is the latest non beta by the way.

my virus is a TI desktop.

any thoughts on this issue.??

anyone else experienced this??

hey there, i reckon there would be a number of ozzies lurkin around. i am actually in mudgee at the moment. about 4 -5 hrs off the coast, west of newcastle. central west ranges, heading down the slopes to the plains. fuckin hot. tho relatively kool this summer and wet, tho not as wet as you mob up there...

anyway, i love livin bush tho... australia is bloody awesome away from the rat race, and with the net, i feel in touch... and hell, i still got a studio to keep myself amused. in a away i feel like i am away from the city s influences so i can shape my own thing. i just miss goin out is all. tho i still get away to a doof or two.

anyway... i will pm you some tracks when i write something new with this unit...

so do you surf up there man.

thankyou very much for that information.

it was exactly what i needed to know.

yes, i did figure that there must have been something i was missing. it would not make sense a all, for one of, if not the, greatest non-analog synths of all time, to not have an intuitive, all encompassing, catagorized patch browsing function.

have fun you say, hahaha, oh yeah, i am that. x 1000. i am just playing from the 'init' patch mainly, and twiddling knobs. and that my new friend, is the best fun i have had for a long time. :D :thumbup:

i have some wonderful softsynth plugs. DCAM synthsquad, U-He zebra 2, NI massive, NI fm8, NI absynth 5, NI reaktor 5, ableton live suite with max for live, etc etc, and i have a number of controllers with keys,nobs, sliders, pads, buttons etc etc to mapped anywhere .... but, haveing the virus' hands on nobs to play with is just awesome. i am in love allready. sure, the polyphony gets eaten up quickly with a number of instances in VC, but, i find there are a number of layers that can be burnt to audio anyway, just like i do with my evolver, but, with the virus, i can leave one or two unbouced, so i can have them free to tweek... all cool.

just for anyone reading this in future... the previous owner de-registered the account on my request. in fact it was de-registered the night before my unit arrived to me.

i emailed support to check it had been done, and they replied promptly, and told me the serial number was no longer registered.

from there it was a simple process to register. i just went to support page > and hit the product registration box. simple

and then the fun begins.

make sure you have the correct usb port, a solo port, not composite.
    mine is a usb 3 port, and it works perfect.

when installing drivers be patient. and if you have problems, uninstall and reinstall using a new port.

it took a few frustrating hours to figure that out!

so read the installation guide carefully, follow instructions and be calm and patient.

and to answer the original question...no, the TI function will not work without registration.

to access's credit, they are very prompt with all queries to them, and very helpful.

hey there...

thanx for the welcome..

i am enjoying it so far.

alltho i am very capable of creating my own patches, and that is where i will end up, to feel a synth out it is cool to surf the patches. well,
    i will admit, that i must be so used to the NI way of browsing patches. the NI patch browser is brilliant. you want bass, or you want chord, well there it is. so, i have found that the virus patch library is so random.
    so i want to ask, is it just me not using the browser correctly? or is it all just random.

step 1. insert virus in your midi channel. it is always channel 2 for me. so it is called 2.virus-ti [snow?]

i am guessing you got this far .

step 2. create a new midi channel in live.

step 3. in the mixer on this channel, where it says no output, well click that box, and choose 2.virus-ti.

step 4. open the box immediately below that one,
    which was blank beforehand, but now, after selecting the virus in the box above, will now say 'track in'
    and then you will see 1-16 virus options. '
    choose 2-virus

[this time it means your second instance, which correlates to the 2nd instance in the VC]

step 5. back in VC you can now highlight the second virus instrument. down the left hand side of the vc screen.
    and bang on.

step 6. repeat.

step 7. enjoy.

thanx for the compliment on my post :)

i was just trying to help.. i know how frustrating it was to me, so if i can help others in the future i will do my best..

sometimes my posts do tend to be long winded. and i guess some are turned away by this ;(

i feel the need to explain myself clearly. and explain any intricate details.

today, on the net, the majority of people keep thier posts very short. i can understand the benefit of doing this,however, i am often of the opinion that i would prefer people to take more time with thier posts and express themselves more thoroughly.

however, i do know that some people are turned away by long winded posts!!!

'tis a a balancing act to be sure. ^^

if you have max for live, i am pretty sure there are a few blofeld instruments made by max heads... this allows you to assign the things you want to a controller very easily. or just change in the max instrument, and makes automation a lot easier.

i am in the process of attempting to make a max4live instument as a front end for my DSI evolver desktop.

i just bought a 2nd hand ti this week too. i had the same problems , but on a w7 pc. anyway, i solved the problem like this. i dont think there are cds, you need to down load the install packge from the access site. make sure you download the correct pack too. in my case i needed the 64 bit pack, for my windows is 64. as you are on vista, even if your pc is 64 bit, i think vista is only 32.. so you wiull need the 32 bit pack... check in your pc to see what your vista is.

you need to figure out what usb port works best. on my pc, i have 4 ports. 2 either side. one one side they are 2 usb2 ports, but when checking in the devices folder, it says they are a composite bus. ie, the 2 port share the same bus, or channel, if you like . in other words they share bandwidth. this is the port i was plugging into, because the other ports were usb3, and i wasnt sure if that would work. {silly me}

now the first few times i tried the install, it didnt work properly because i used the composite usb2 port. like, it did install, but it was a little rough, and then when i opened virus control[vc] in live, it kept freezing on the first page after putting it in a midi channel.

or what kept happening first was vc would load, and then tell me i had no virus connected, and was telling me to do some process where you turn it off and start it with arp edit held down... that didnt work... and i would also get windows messages telling me the drivers were not working.

so , after doing this a few times, and getting BSOD, and wanting to throw the virus in the river, i decided to calm down, and try the other buses/ ports. when i got the blue screen of death, it said that i had corrupt, or not installed correctly drivers.
    so it was becoming clear, the install wasnt happening properly, and only part of the drivers was getting thru. it could only be the usb connection i figured.. so i decided to try again, using the other solo usb3 ports.

so this is what i did.

1. un installed everything.

2. shut down and restarted pc. i think this is important.

3. reinstalled.. this time using the solo usb3 port.

i let it do the firmware update, and anything it needed to do. and waited patiently and calmly.

4. when it had finished the re install. which, i will add, happened a lot faster , and smoother, with no interuptions or freezes, i then once again, shut down pc, and re started.
    not sure if it was needed, bu ti just decided to anyway. it often seems to help.

5. i booted up my daw, which is live, but it is irrelevent really which daw. and then i added VC to a a channel.

i noticed that it took a little time to slot in the channel, and then , it does a little load up sequence where bars go around a circle. and then you get an option page to set up your daw. if needed do this , or just prss ok and get past it.
    but, either way, you need to wait as it is doing another process. patch sync.. and it seems to take forever doing this patch sync.

it took about 7 minutes this first time, where as now, when ever i do it it takes like 30 seconds at the most. actually more like about 5-10 seconds mostly now. i guess it varies because of the project or whatever, and maybe the firsttime it is doing more, creating settings within your pc or something.?? not sure

anyway my point is, this may take a few minutes, so remain calm, and let it happen.

and then everything should be good to go. you know the patch sync is finished because the screen on the virus unit goes back to its play page, with a bank/patch showing..ie the sync message is gone.

hope that all helps.

a few hints.

to find if you have 32 or 64 bit os:
    -- go to control panel, put in in classic or category, and choose sytem. it will be in there.

to find out what bus to use. control panel, categories,
    then choose devices and printers,
    then in the devices section choose your computer{ it may be called whatever you called your computer}
    then choose hardware
    then scroll down until you find your usb hubs.
    if you have a composite, you dont want them. hopefully you will have one or two called root hubs. they are the ones you want. now you just need yo find out which ones they are.
    often if you look on your actual computer, under the usb port, or beside it, there will be the usb symbol. you may notice that some of the usb symbols differ from each other.. it should not be too hard tio figure out which port is usb1,2,or 3 that way.
    i know there is another way to find out, by some device screen and you plug a flash drive in, and if you search the guide on this site you will find it... i didnt need to do that. as i could see which ones were different on the lappie. also, my komplete audio 6 interface only works on usb 2, so i allready knew which waas which. i didnt know, however, that my usb2 was composite, and my usb3 were root hubs. this will be good to know in the future if i want to add a external hard drive, or a usb hub.

ok good luck.

g'day there from out bush in australia.

possibly a strange place to be a virus owner, but, i needed a solid piece of hardware that integrated with ableton and here it is.

i had a few teething problems getting my TI to run on my pc. but, once i had un installed, and re-installed, and found the correct usb port to run it on, i have had no problems at all. none that are serious anyways. i am sure any glitches that have happened since i have started using the TI function, are purely just me learning the instrument.

ok, the music i write is rather varied.

i have played guitar for over 20 years, and also am rather tidy with percussion. i 'play' on the keyboard. i have a pianowhich needs to be deliverd to my house soon. i am no piano player at all. i play. as in have fun like a child.

the electronic music i compose ranges from experimental modern classical / IDM, to techno, while exploring different avenues between the 2 points.

i have been writing a lot of dub techno for the last year or so. i love the darker, minimal, ambient echoing lushness of dubtechno.

i have also been writing minimal techno, fidget housy techno, deep house/deep techno, and also exploring the areas of post dubstep like uk bass.other than than mnml and i have been attempting to write straight out techno, with harder faster beats than mnml, and exploring the acid lines of techno.
    whe it comes down to it i am purely a novice at this whole electronic game, but, i enjoy ;earning and playing, so that is the main thing.

i have been influenced by the psychedelic trance scene. while i do not write psychedelic trance, i tend to think of a lot of my music as intelligent psychedelic techno. i have certainly been around, and been in plenty of psy parties. i like the undergound nature of the psy scene, and feel quite at home there. i used to be involved with a group that put on underground parties for years throughout the 90's and early noughties.

i have been painting, sculpting, filming, photographing, and imagining artworks for my entire life.

i dream music.seriously.i do.

i also surf. when i am near the coast that is.

in short, i consider myself a creative soul inhabiting the body of a human person,

my humble apologies if this intro has been too long, and fancy.

it is an honor to be a virus owner, and i am thrilled to be a part of this club.

:rolleyes: :D ;) :) ;) :D :rolleyes: :thumbup:

thankyou marc for such a quick reply..

i am hoping i will have no issues when my virus arrives end of next week.

he may have allready de-registered, and everything is ok.

i have left an email with him, so i guessi just wait and find out..

reading one or two other stories of 2nd hand registration problems has just made me a little nervous, and i want t o know everything before it arrives..
    i didnt even think to ask any of this before purchase, and just joined here today, because i am excited to join the TI club!!

when it arrives, can i add the serial number to this account i have made today,making it an owners account, or, shall i just open a new account?

thanx again.

hi, i have just bought a second hand virus ti. it is still in transit, and will be here end of next week.

i have asked the owner whether he can deregister his account, but i get no answer fro him. he had said he was going on holidays.{i guess with the money i paid him for the TI!}

so now i am getting nervous.

i want to know what the deal is with registration.

do i need to register the unit before it will function as a vst?

or is it just that i will not get the latest OS, and any free sounds, and the support of the company.?

the reason i bought it, apart from the sound, is the TI. but, can i still use the virus via midi cable, without regiastration, without the TI function, like any old synth.

if i provide access proof of purchase, ID, address etc.. can they still register the virus in my name?

hopefully there i sno problems, i just am getting nervous and need to ask...