Beiträge von DeckardTrinity

Basically what you are going to want to do is download two manuals from this page -

http://www.virus.info/manuals

1. Under Virus TI1 Series, get "Virus TI Manual English" (just assuming you're looking for the English one).
    2. Under Virus TI2 Series, get "Virus TI Reference".

I don't understand why Access were so lazy to never produce a "proper" full manual for the TI2, but I've found that there is a lot of info to be found in the first one that explains stuff not mentioned in the second, so I would read both to get as full a picture as possible.

Then... go watch all of Ben Crosland's tutorial videos - http://www.virus.info/tutorialvideos ... those are an excellent source of info for the TI beginner / intermediate / advanced player.

TI2 61-key + Stage 2 here as well. Excellent combo, I doubt I will ever run out of sound design possibilities with this setup. About the only thing I could really "want" at this point is USB 2.0+ with the Virus, and perhaps the ability to load custom wavetables.

This is an incredibly strange problem!

I too have my TI2 keyboard mounted on the second tier of my stand, supported by two arms, above a -- yup -- Nord Stage 2! Very strange indeed, as I suffer from the very occasional ghost note. (just this past weekend it scared the **** out of me - had a very loud patch set up in my Elektron A4, controlled via MIDI from the TI2, and after an hour or so of idle, out of nowhere comes the patch being played). Now of course one may suspect that it's the A4 that has the issue, but it never happens if the TI2 is off, and I've had other notes where I didn't have a pure midi patch (local off) dialed in to the TI2 also get played via ghost note.

Now, I am purely a studio hobbyist, not doing any of this in a gig environment or even for money, so I can live with the occasional glitch. But I find it very odd that merely tilting it level and putting the TI2 so that its rubber feet perfectly sit on top of the arms would fix the problem. FWIW, mine is not touching any metal, there are two very large rubber pads already mounted on the arms that it sits on, so I highly doubt there is any electrical short happening as a result.

Also, I've owned this TI2 kbd for less than a year. Had a TI2 desktop before it, and it too would throw the occasional ghost note.

Actually you can just log in to your account on the main Access site and deregister from your profile. That's what I did as soon as I sold my TI2 desktop last year. (so verify that the seller knows to do this before you buy).

I would suggest taking a look in the Videos section on this site. I've been very slowly learning about subtractive synthesis for about a year now, and last weekend I went through a good number of Ben's tutorial videos on OS3 and OS4 features. That alone has at least doubled my knowledge level of the Virus (and I understood everything flabberbob said above / know where to set those parameters just from watching the vids).

For question 1, I've been using the RAM banks as my scratch pad for new sounds. All of the pre-loaded RAM sounds also exist in the ROM banks (somewhere, you'll have to go find them as they're scattered about), so don't worry about losing any pre-loaded RAM sounds. I did a full sysex backup before I started working with my TI2 kbd though, just in case I ever needed to go back to factory default.

Multi-mode is also very powerful, much more so than most other synths... the first 16 entries in the multi bank can each hold 16 complete patches (i.e., you select a patch in multi 0, slot 1, all the way up to multi 15, slot 16 and it becomes a duplicate of the patch you chose). All parameter adjustments you make to patches in those first 16 entries are held within the multi bank and do not affect the original patch at all. So in essence you have RAM A - D (128 slots each), plus Multi 0 - 15 (16 slots each), for a grand total of 768 user defined patches. Not too shabby eh?

:thumbup:

Edit: I did assume you have a TI or TI2, as I've only worked with the TI2 in-depth.

Thanks fb... yeah, I think internal patch routing is going to have to become a reality sooner rather than later. Elektron's newest toy, the Analog Four, has this capability built-in, and it opens up many new options for sound design.

I'm trying to figure out a way to accomplish the following - take a patch, and apply two Distortion FX types to it - Bit Reducer & Rate Reducer. As far as I can tell, a given patch can only have one Distortion FX type applied to it at a time. So... I'm trying to figure out if there is a way around that limitation. Perhaps by routing the output of the patch in multi-mode as input to another patch?

Yeah I noticed that VC doesn't really seem to be very configurable in terms of where the directories it uses are located. If you are using Mac OS X, you can create an alias from some other directory structure to the hard coded ones VC uses. This is how I organize all my patches, samples, sysex dumps, etc (all under their own folder hierarchy, and I just symlink from there to the Access directories, keeping all the rest of my Elektron & Nord gear together in one place).

Also, there is no official word that I've seen regarding how flexible the ROM storage space is, only the note about battery and the RAM. I would suggest sticking to the pattern of using the RAM banks for your more fluid "sound design" space, and ROM for static presets. ROM memory works differently than RAM, and can only be written to so many times (really should be referred to as EPROM, as true ROM is writable only once). Again, I have no idea what the real limitation is, but do think it is good practice to treat them differently.

What about Lemur, has anybody started work on designing TI templates for it? Seems like a lot of support behind that app right now, supposed to be very flexible.

Are you referring to the delay in having the lights / display on the Virus itself show when switching patches? I've noticed this too with OS5, but there doesn't seem to be any delay in actually being able to play the new patch - that I can do almost immediately after switching.