Beiträge von MaF

Can you reproduce the error at the end?

Start with an init preset
    Turn OSC Balance all to the left
    At the LFO page in Virus Control turn the amount by which LFO 2 modulates Filter 1 all to the positive top
    Now increase LFO 2 rate bit by bit, press C1 and hear how the modulation accelerates
    Stop at 125 and press C1

Not only is the filter modulation rate at this setting a lot slower than, let's say at 121. Moreover, I get different speeds each time I press C1. Actually it starts to sound weird after 118 or so.

Is this a bug or the limit of DSP programming?
    Let me tell you, I tried exactly this because I was curious if it works. In an interview with the German online magazine Amazona Christoph Kemper praised the audio rate modulation of the filter in his code and I was not convinced. I thought, digital solutions might be fine for moderate emulations but when it comes to extreme settings like audio rate modulation software has to pass. Recursive modulation anyone?

Just curious
    MaF

No you got it wrong, basicly what i said was still support the TI1 but bring out some updates for the TI2 only. To separate the two. I would never say stop supporting the TI1..

But separating the two models would be a totally arbitrary act because, as you said, there is no further difference than dsp power. The users would get it and be upset. And then they would hear lame excuses like you hear from NI or apple. And would this generate further sales? I don't think so.
    I was never under the impression that the TI2 had more to offer than more dsp power. Certainly not after i did some research or saw a promotional Video, which is something anyone should do before purchase. And if the TI2 had to offer much more it would Not generate sales automatically. There are other factors than features to influence a buying decision. For instance the amount of Money available to you.
    It seems you buy a synth not only for what it does or how good support is but also for how much you can sell it. It's nothing to condemn as long as this attitude doesn't rule the whole market and there are companies who think differently.

John, do I get this right? You want Access to stop supporting the TI1 because you want to sell your TI2 for a higher price? You attitude matches the business practice that people hate NI for, for example. Access' customers are happy, because there is long term support you can rely on. Features being added.
    I think twice before buying or using a plugin. You never know when it might be discontinued and as soon as a new OS or CPU generation (in case of Macs) comes out, you're left with a corpse on your hard drive. (Anyone counted the plugins that Steinberg released and killed over the years?) This is not any better than having old analogue synths or other gear that will break sooner or later and if you can't repair it – bad luck. I thought the digital revolution would make us a bit more future-proof than that. Good companies take care of this.

If I was to recreate this sound, I would start with an oscillator with a square wave. Give it a percussive amp envelope with fast attackt and short/low decay/sustain/release. Then I would apply a low pass filter and add resonance and play with its amount and the cutoff frequency of the filter until it comes close.

cheers
    MaF

I had the whole Arturia range of synths and I got rid of them. Not only were they far from sounding close to the originals, their GUI was unusable, because it was so close to the originals. The developers forgot that you don't have two hands here but just a mouse. Furthermore: small letters but no resizable windows. Comparing to the Virus, I have to agree with nms. It has its own sound and if you want moog then go for moog. But you can get closer than Arturia. And it saves CPU.

Anyway, I think for a few days we all have known that if you want the most analogue sound from a plug-in/digital solution you have to go for DIVA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm afraid, the Virus would run out of DSP power quite fast, wouldn't it? That's also why its envelopes have rather slow attack phases compared to e.g. Zebra.

That's weird. Somehow I created a patch that still gives sound when the OSC Vol is zero. Is there any other parameter that I could check? I want this sound to fade out via automation, so I can't just stop triggering it.

cheers
    MaF

Good morning everyone,

in Cubase I set up the soft knobs of the TI as three of the eight possible Quick Controls. They work perfectly on Audio and MIDI tracks: chosen parameters are changed when a knob is moved. Recording and playing back automation works great as well.
    However, the knobs do not work on the subtracks in the VST Instruments folder of the project window. And this is important because these subtracks contain the individual outs of instruments. My Korg Legacy MS20 controller works perfectly on all channels.

Can any Cubase user verify this?

thanks
    MaF

I never had this before.
    Today my Virus TI Desktop (latest drivers, latest OS...) just puts the patches on every MIDI channel to init while I was working in a project in Cubase. The project uses about 10 Virus sounds.
    VC still displays the right sound names, but the Virus itself has just 'init' in its display and plays init patches.

I thought: Is there a function in VC to send all data to the Virus again without closing and re-opening the project?