Beiträge von eugenebalt

Some presets don't do anything when I push up/down on my pitch wheel on the Virus: for example, the preset "Go Rave!MS". Is something not available there? I'd like to pitch this preset.

Also, where is the pitching automation controlled from in the VC? Under "Common" I see the Range boundaries (+/-) but not the actual Pitch value as determined by tweaking the pitch. Thanks

Hi Bob, I'm afraid I need some more help here:

(First of all, that YouTube video doesn't have sound.)

Ok, I go under Processing, and I see 3 items under Connections: "Virus TI 1", "Virus TI 2", and "Virus TI 3". First of all, what does that mean? Am I limited to 3 FX channels I can use with the Virus? Why is that? I have the full-fledged TI 2 Keyboard (not the Snow). I get 16 parts, so I'd like to have 16 FX channels (so that each, in theory, can be mapped to whatever separate FX I choose to put on it), or is my logic incorrect here?

Next, in the Tutorial FL project, I see that they've reserved 3 channels (1-3) called "Virus Out 1-3".

Something weird is going on: When I click "Auto Map Outputs" under Processing, I get this mapping: Virus TI 1 -> 1, Virus TI 2 -> 2, Virus TI 3 -> 3. But, with these settings, for some reason FX Channel 2 is getting activated for all MIDI Out Virus tracks.

My goal is to be able to map each of the 16 individual parts to completely independent 16 FX-Channels if I so desire. What's the problem here? Thanks.

VirusTI comes with a bunch of "starter" Tutorial projects, and one of the example projects is Ableton!

Your best bet is to start with that project and use it as a basis for all future work. That project shouldn't have any glitches.

Update: It all works now! I had to set the FX-Channel's POST to the same as the Master Channel's PRE (98.68ms). Now everything's aligned. Thanks, I think we can consider this thread closed! The Tutorial's DelayComp settings work fine and get rid of the latency, provided I leave a few empty bars for the Virus to "prepare." I can live with this workaround. Thanks again, Bob!

But the latency compensation is already set to 98ms on the Master Channel in the tutorial project. I don't need to re-calculate it - it's working. It's just that my custom samples routed to an FX channel (ultimately sending to Master, but the FX channel itself isn't Master) are misaligned, they have to be blank (non-routed) to be aligned with the TI. That's what I'm wondering about.

Thanks for the help so far, Bob.

I also need to ask this: suppose I go back to the Tutorial FLP project which uses Delay Compensation on the Master, which seems to be the easiest thing to do. I may revert to that. As I wrote, that example setup was working; the Tutorial had a 98ms Pre-Delay on the Master channel. No S/PDIF, just the regular FL Delay Compensation I had originally.

Suppose I add 2 samples of my own (not related to the Virus): both are kicks; one is not routed to any FX-channel (blank), and another one has some kind of FX on it (routed to a valid FX channel).

What I hear is that the non-routed kick sample is aligned well with the melody, but the FX-Kick is not, there's a lag. Moreover, when the two kicks play together, they're not aligned with each other. Somehow, having an FX on a track messes up the Master channel's PRE in the Tutorial project. Do you know how I can make all my FX-samples aligned with the Virus in this Tutorial project? It seems that my own samples/tracks are only aligned with the Virus when they're not routed to any FX-channel. This is a problem because I may need to add FX to all kinds of tracks. Thanks!

Would I still be able to use the VC Plugin in that case, with all its features?

How would that solve the MIDI Delay problem? FL is having trouble sending MIDI notes, in this case it would just be sending notes thru the mixer?

What are some brands/examples of mixers I should look at? What is that in your picture?

Bob,

First of all, I don't have "DMA Buffer Size", I only have this under 'Hardware': "ASIO/WDM Buffer Size". Is that the same thing?

Experience shows that when I tweak this ASIO/WDM Buffer Size, the results are unpredictable, sometimes it's fine as I decrease it all the way to 128, sometimes it immediately starts crashing. I've found that the only reliable setting is to keep it at 512.

The main issue for me continues to be the Delay/Lag. When I return to the FL Project's original setting of Delay Compensation = 85 ms (which I have since turned off since we were trying SPDIF), the alignment improves, although it's inconsistent and still not perfect. However, do we still need this setting on the master channel? In theory, SPDIF should take care of the delay without FL's Delay Compensation, correct? However, when I turn it off, the delay is there.

The clicks are occasional. Sometimes they happen in the middle of the track, sometimes not.

With the Delay issue, the Virus is unusable for me. I've hit this snag and unless I can find a consistent and reliable workaround, it's going to be very frustrating. I'm happy the SPDIF connection is working, but what's the problem with the way FL sends MIDI notes?

Intriguingly, yes, when listening to the headphones out of the Virus, the sound is perfectly aligned. However, as soon as I take the headphones off and listen to my speakers, I'm back to the delay. It's not a huge delay, but quite noticeable, especially with short notes.

I've captured the audio that I hear through my speakers, so you can hear this delay, even with S/PDIF, when aligned with a 4/4 kick:
    http://www61.zippyshare.com/v/18032113/file.html

(Note also in this sample, around the 0:12 mark, a little bit of static. So the static occurs along with the delay when listening to my speakers.)

With headphones, however, it's perfect, no delay, so I think we're on to something here.

Yes, I've verified that all the Virus parts are Out1 L+R. Something I wanted to confirm, is it correct that my FL-level soundcard setting is "M-Audio Delta ASIO", as shown below? The reason I ask is, there's also an option there called "S/PDIF M-Audio Delta", but I am not selecting it. Should I? When I try it, there's no sound at all, so I've decided to stick with "M-Audio Delta ASIO". I have not yet done anything with the Clock.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i46.tinypic.com/153wwht.jpg]

Thanks, awaiting your further comments!

Hi Bob,

First, the good news: I hear sound, and the SPDIF connection is working! I've verified that the armed FX Channel with the SPDIF L/R Input is receiving signal, and I do hear the sound. So I believe the SPDIF link is established.

Here's the current issue: the sound is still not aligned, and there's still a delay. Upon placing a Virus sound track aligned with a 4/4 kick, the Virus still lags as it did previously, by approx. a second or slightly less. What should I check next? Thanks

Here's my update:

1) In the M-Audio SoundCard control panel, turned on the External - SPDIF option + Locked:

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i45.tinypic.com/sq5h85.jpg]

2) Created a new track (a 'Sampler') and pointed it to a new FX Channel with the Input = Delta-AP S/PDIF L + Delta-AP S/PDIF R (see below; in my example, it is FX Channel # 7). But do I use this track to draw actual notes? If so, which of the Virus parts will it correspond to? I've tried editing a melody in that track and there's no sound.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://i48.tinypic.com/rbzgvb.jpg]

3) Also, could you confirm the following: There is a single cable going from the Virus' S/PDIF-Out into the breakout cable's IN. It is a single cable, not a double Left+Right (white/red). Thus, I am only using the White cable connector to connect the breakout cable to the Virus. (I do not need to connect the Breakout cable's I + O to the Virus SPDIF I + O using a double cable.)

Thanks again!

No, I haven't created any L/R strip - what is it? All I did was connect the MIDI from the soundcard to the Virus' RCA output for S/PDIF, using 2 cables like you said.

By the way, there's no L/R, I only saw I/O. The pictures are on the previous page.