Beiträge von Isris

Thank you Jörg. I tried this and it worked!

On further exploration I found that this only switches between the RAM A - D & ROM A - Z Banks which are in the Virus Ti2 dropdown menu. It would be helpful to switch between are my personal banks in the 'Public Libraries' drop-down menu, but these seem to un-selectable via midi. Is there a way of selecting these via midi?

Thank you,

Stephen Powell.

Hello All.

I'm having a problem with changing the bank of the Virus from Ableton. I've got changing patches on the separate channels down, but it always chooses patches from Bank A, and I need it to select the patches from my own banks. The browser has my banks selected and showing, but it's still choosing patches from Bank A.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

Bob, you're a genius.

I was sending the program change messages from the main channel that holds the VC, thinking that changing the midi channel would send through to different channels. In fact, placing a copy of the program change patch in each of the 16 channels that collect midi notes from the main patch and send to the individual channels works exactly. I'm pretty hot with Max so I knew there wasn't a problem there, it's good to have a fresh mind on the matter!

Now all I need to do is work out how to change banks without going into it with the VC / manually. Doesn't matter too much for now as my upcoming gig isn't too long so I think a bank will do!

Thanks again.

Hello All.

I am using my Virus Ti2 Desktop in Ableton Live. I am using max4live to send program change messages to the Virus. I've got program changes to occur with by sending the message '193 x' where x is a number from 1 - 127. This changes channel 1, regardless of which channel is selected for editing. Can anyone help me with:

a) Changing the bank that the program is selected from.
    b) Changing which channel you change the program for.

I would love to be able to simply change the multi but sadly you cannot run in multi mode with the Virus Control being open.

Thank you.

A new but related issue to this post has come up and I'd like confirmation if this how it's working for everyone.

When saving a patch, upon reloading, all the locked sections turn up unlocked. Is section locking not something that can be saved?

Thank you.

So now the case is that I found a few offending patches, took all effects, unison, matrix and all other expensive stuff off inc hypersawa and the patches are still showing that they are using a full battery worth of Virus power. How does this make sense?

I very much agree with you Alex. Excellent synth, very buggy integration. Even considering potential USB / bandwidth problems it's still a very difficult problem to get a smooth workflow with. My initial use for the Virus was as a performance tool, a use which I am sadly having to rethink.

Hello.

Is there a way of checking how many voices are being used by any one part? I have a project currently using 5 parts and there is cutting out, voice stealing etcbut I have no unison or reverb at all, so was hoping to be able to work out which parts are using all the power and why.

Thank you.

Hello all. Just found that when changing patches and the arpeggiator is locked, the pattern when set to user defaults back to the start setting, therefore losing the rhythm that had been previously set.

Can others confirm this?

Hello Marc, thank you for your reply.

Regarding performance, I have a two year old but high spec Mac Pro with 6gb of memory so I doubt that would be the issue, not directly anyway. The Virus is in it's own USB port, although I have heard on the Apple Grapevine that there can be issues with connections because whilst they may not share the same physical port, they may be handled by the same data stream and so create a bottleneck.

The USB is fairly easy to test for so I will, can you suggest any other tests to rule out or prove any other possibilities?

Best regards,

Isris.

Thank you MarPabi. Do you know any good places with tutorials / guides on using Midi Sysex with the Virus? I have to say though that it seems pretty poor not to have such basic features implemented in the integration and to have to find deep workarounds.

Indeed you can lock and switch, but that doesn't allow moving between arpeggiated presets during a track / performance which is a shame.

Hello Jörg.

This was whilst simply playing the synth with a midi keyboard (via the host computer, not plugged directly into the Virus) and recording the sound into an audio track in Logic.

I have found that not only does the CPU go up hugely whilst recording, but it also does so when simply playing midi data that is in a region within Logic. This is one midi channel playing one patch of the Virus in an otherwise blank project with no other plugins or software synths running, simply a virus multi-instrument.

Also, the arp mode and simply turning the arp on and off? Is there a way to automate these elements please?

Is it possible to save patterns as presets? If so, it isn't obvious how this is supposed to be done. This would have seemed an obvious function to me... On a similar note (pun intended), the ability to see and edit the preset patterns would be nice. As would an indicator to show where is playing in the pattern at any one time.

Hello all. I hope that my continuing list of queries is not getting too out of hand, apologies if this is bugging anyone, just got a lot of questions!

It appears that the arpeggiator resolution and the length of the pattern cannot be modulated or automated, the automation bit being the part which I find the most odd. The change of resolution would useful for changes of pace, and for developing rhythmic interest for example, whilst phrase start automation would be useful for switching between sections. Does anyone have any workarounds for this? Is it due to be part of an update?

It would be very useful also to be able to have different user patterns within one patch and to be able to switch between them. One could of course draw patterns into the sequencer, but that defeats one of the main uses of an arpeggiator, and wouldn't allow for the arp>matrix functionality. Whilst multiple patterns aren't a typical part of an arpeggiator, this isn't a typical one, the arp>matrix function being very useful and original. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Best,

Isris.

Hey guys.

Is it possible to run the LFO's for the Phaser and Chorus to a clock rather than in free mode? I can't seem to see this functionality. Also, how come the Phaser doesn't have the different LFO waveforms?