Beiträge von Handfield

Hello,

I purchased a virus ti snow about a year and a half ago, and I've always had a ton of glitches. The support doesn't seem to know what's up with it, so I figured once more if I anybody here on the forums could help me out.

As most of you know, hardware synths connected via usb is crap. One of my friends had suggested to purchase midi cables for my virus. I have them, and they're plugged in my soundcard. I don't know how to set this up in Cubase, I would love to see if it improves and even fix all the glitches I've had. I want to get rid of usb as soon as possible.

What the virus does
    - When it freezes, it gives me those loud distorted noises my ears can't stand anymore. Really high frequencies sometimes, and it kills my brain.
    - The bpm/lfo LED light freezes/disappears.
    - Rarely, there is this sign on my virus screen that says "Master volume - number between 0 and 127" (sorry I don't recall seeing the exact number)

Here is the audio clip of what it does, I managed to squeeze a small preview of the glitches.
    #mce_temp_url#

Layering is not the answer here - this is a single oscillator sound, note that the harmonics don't pulsate, like the chorusing effect you get from layering. What makes this basic saw wave stand out is that some of its mid range is eliminated, either by a simple EQ or a multiband compressor which also brickwall-limits the high and low frequencies. You will not benefit from most distortion types as they will simply turn the saw wave into a square wave.
    Hope this helps.

This is one good chunk of advice. Thank you.

Hello everyone,

So, this has been in my head for a while and I can't seem to find the perfect sound to replicate Markus Schulz's lead in Digital Madness.
    Link can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I4ob1FtYT8 Melody starts at around 0:30.

I have been producing for 2 years now, and from a producer point I understand how layering is important. But I need to find out how he made it so fat and centered like this. Sausage fattener? Virus' distortion unit? Fab Filter Saturn? What would be your settings?

Thank you

Sorry I didn't have the time to get all the links and paste them here as I was in class.
    I'll try numerous things, I think you must set the unison pretty low to get the fat sound of those stadium synths.

I might need a sine wave somewhere to make this work, the 2 other oscillators will most likely be saws.

Thanks to you 2 for your help!

Hi,

The amount of stadium-like synths in trance track nowadays is bigger than it was before. It is a fat, detuned and amazing sound. I need help making them, my synths sound too "supersaw" than the stadium synths should sound like. Can anybody help me on modulating these sounds?

Good examples:
    Sied van Riel - Audio 52
    Skytech - What's Wrong (Skytech Stadium Mix)
    Rick Mitchells - Sub Zero
    Armin van Buuren vs Markus Schulz - The Expedition (Orjan Nilsen Remix)

Thank you

It's not from the TI, it's from using a filter with at least a cutoff and resonance knobs. You take your hardstyle bassdrum, take the low end off using an EQ and automate the cutoff and resonance from part to part. It's very simple, I'm pretty sure you frequently use CamelCrusher or Camelphat3 for your kicks, you can use those, but any filters will do. What's cool about CamelCrusher/Camelphat is that you can also automate the distortion too.

Audio channel > filter plug in > Automation

PS: you can also add or remove frequencies with your EQ, get freaky with your DAW time stretch, etc... I had a lot of fun while producing those kick fx.

Exactly, the tail of the sound is being pitched, I haven't tried doing so with the kick, figuring it would sound bad. There must be some kind of advanced compression/envelope modulation on the attack, I can't get the increased attack to work with my Virus, so I have to use some outside tools to do so. I think it's a synth, but might just be a sample from a bank too. There is still a way to make this effect with the TI, that's for sure.

As a side note, 'The Box' is amazing, but Markus Schulz's 'Big Room Reconstruction' is better in my opinion. I'm not sure if Armin played it on his radioshow, but he did play the original mix a few times. So many producers play 'The Box' in their sets, really liking his sound. I don't know if you've heard of 'Eclipse', it is still unreleased I think but it's real good. So does his collab with W&W they played at Electric Zoo 2012 in NYC.

I figured out how to make it - Standard square saw, no detuning, add a few voices, long reverb. Recorded it as an audio file, gave it mid range frequency boost treatment and an high pass at around 600hz. To make it 'jump', used compression with -45 threshold and placed the audio file at the 2nd beat of the beat so it 'jumps' along with the kick. It didn't give me the same exact result, but it did come close to it.

Alright so I can make those square ticking sounds, but I have a hard time trying to make them like the tech trance guys like in Ummet Ozcan's 'The Box' or in Rick Mitchells' 'Sub Zero'.

This is the sound I'm trying to recreate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vXjfhgqqeI There is a very good example at 0:39, but it goes through the entire track. What I think it is, is a square/saw patch, little decay, no sustain with reverb all that running through some filter. The hard time I have about this particular sound is how do they make it 'jump' right before the attack? Is it linked to compression with the kick or is it something else?

Thank you

It's a combination of square and saw oscillators, they aren't very detuned, I'd say a typical 90 should be it. It has a bit more reverb than hardstyle standard supersaws.

Exactly, I want 2 outputs for my Snow, so I can sidechain 1 channel and keep the other channel like it is without having to bounce everything to audio all the time. How do you set your VC to be in multi mode? When I load up the VC in the VST instruments panel of Cubase, it gives me a MIDI track and only 1 instrument track for me to put plugins on. I want 2!

Try using the Matrix, I used 4 slots: 1 for the LFO to modulate it at around 1/64 and 3 for the envelopes. Filter envelopes in the filters tab are also important, try setting a slow attack so it builds up with the pitch. You have to mess around the VC, it's far from being easy but the results are nothing but spectacular. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qTFK6gooAE, Headhunterz's Headshot screech is my fave.

Hard Driver has an excellent tutorial on his Facebook page, he used Sylenth1 but it's worth watching! Michel Pollen (Producer with Luc van Veghel on 'The Pitcher') made a short tutorial with the Virus TI, I love The Pitcher and their work on screeches is absolutely stunning. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJPr8T5dxyM, follow up episode is 06.

HS screeches use the same pattern: LFO modulation, opened cutoff envelope, pitch envelope, very detuned oscillators, lots and lots of reverb, distortion and lots of Mid and High frequencies.

Hello,

I am wondering how do you split the outputs of your Virus TI? I want 2 (or more) different channels so I can give a patch some hard compression. I can do it the other way around, I export it, then import it back so I can use it as an audio file: but it isn't the best way in my opinion since you cannot see the notes anymore and it takes quite some time to get what I want. Is there some way of splitting the outputs in Cubase?

Thank you

I use Cubase, so I mainly work with the VC in my DAW. I like tweaking my sounds with the knobs and buttons but it's the sequencer mode so I can't tweak just like in multi mode. It's the TI who crakcles, I've tested my other VSTs and audio files in numerous projects and the TI crackles, even at the init patch. I managed to fix it this morning, routed my Keyrig 49's USB cable to the back of my PC, and gave the TI a spot for its use only. I don't have a good feeling though, the last fix lasted for 3 days. So, I'll wait and see. If it still acts up, I will contact Access :/ Today I had problems with Cubase... It crackles when I have too much distortion in the process of making a hardstyle kick. Might be the buffer size... I don't know.

Thank you