Beiträge von UltimateOutsider

Once I also had a Snow but didn't like it because the lack of keys (I got a template for my controllers, therefore the lack of knobs was no real issue) I tried many controllers and I never liked the feel of the action, except for the Novation ReMOTE and the Akai MPK (but I think Virus is better). However, I didn't like the requirement to plug the Snow, plug the MIDI cable, power on the controller just to play.

Hmm. I guess I ought to see if any local stores have a Polar floor model I can try out. I really like the MPK's keys (most other keybeds feel too loose for me). I'd better see how the Polar feels, because that could seal the deal one way or the other. Thanks!

Within the next couple weeks I'll be acquiring a Virus TI2 of some kind, but I am seriously stuck as to whether to go with the Desktop or the Polar. My workspace only has room for a single keyboard. At the moment, I'm using an AKAI MPK49 with upgraded pads, which I love. The MPK49 just barely fits where it is now, so the TI2 keyboard is out of the question.

I have a little shelf space where a TI2 Desktop would fit just a few inches out of comfortable reach, or I could replace my MPK49 with a Polar- but I wouldn't be happy about losing access to all my banks of knobs, faders, and pads.

So, I have two questions that will help make this decision easier:

• Am I going to be at a disadvantage not having the TI2 Desktop controls and display right in front of me when I'm working, or is that stuff mainly for designing/tweaking patches?
    • Is there any performance difference between the Polar and Desktop, in terms of tracking/recording? Specifically, would I be more at risk of hitting recording latency when controlling a TI2 Desktop from my MPK49 than I would playing a Polar's built-in keyboard? I have lots of VSTis, which work just fine, latency-wise, for live recording from the MIDI controller, and several non-USB vintage MIDI external instruments where you can just barely feel the gap. I've never used a modern USB external synth before, so I don't know what to expect in terms of live play.

Thanks!