Posts by skittb123

I am considering buying a newer Virus (Ti Polar or Darkstar) and I just noticed this picture on the site:

https://www.virus.info/virusti/totalintegration

It is an Apple computer :). Could this mean that the Total Integration software will work on the latest MacOS versions soon? Otherwise I will consider the Mystery Islands version that seems to be a good alternative.

That's a very old iMac. And no. I would not count on it. Just get VirusHC or CTRLR & never look back.

Tried it out again today. The current version of Logic Pro (10.7.3) will simply tell you it'll only take Audio Unit Version 3 plugins during validation, so that will never work, but today I found an old backup of Logic Pro X 10.5.1, which amazingly still runs fine on my M1.

This is what the validation report says:

validating Audio Unit Virus TI by Access:

AU Validation Tool
    Version: 1.10.0
    Copyright 2003-2019, Apple Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Specify -h (-help) for command options

--------------------------------------------------
    VALIDATING AUDIO UNIT: 'aumu' - 'VCP ' - 'AccS'
    Manufacturer String: Access
    AudioUnit Name: Virus TI
    Component Version: 5.1.7 (0x50107)

* * PASS
    TESTING OPEN TIMES:
    COLD:
    2022-04-03 17:49:46.978 auvaltool[6536:250581] Error loading /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/Virus Control.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Virus Control: dlopen(/Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/Virus Control.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Virus Control, 0x0106): Symbol not found: _AudioHardwareClaimAudioDeviceID
    Referenced from: /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/Common/libVirusUSB.dylib
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio
    Time to open AudioUnit: 6.666 ms

validation result: crashed validation

I've checked and the files inside /Library/Application Support/Access Music/Virus TI/ are actually there so I am not sure why it can't open these files..

The CoreAudio folder in /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreAudio.framework/Versions/A/CoreAudio does not exist.

This is to be expected since Apple has closed off the System folder since macOS Big Sur.. I tried disabling SIP and manually adding the file but it's not possible. Maybe if I install MacOS on an external drive I can.

The Virus Control plugin is available as VST3 for several years now. Maybe you haven’t installed it or disabled it in Cubase.

My point which you seemed to have missed completely is that there's really no point in beating this dead horse. Even if you magically get it to work on say Catalina or Big Sur for Intel (forget about M1), this is only temporary since Apple has now moved on. All I say is don't wait for a solution if you actually depend on your Virus in your productions. If not, you can always switch to another soft synth.

But hey, do you own an M1 Mac? You are totally welcome to try and post your results. Which would actually be more helpful to the community.

And to answer your question, yes, I have and I have. On MacOS Big Sur Cubase actually still enabled the VST3 version by default but it would crash Cubase on open. On MacOS Monterey it won't even recognize it as a plugin even though it's still in the VST 3 folder.

Update: MacOS 12.3 now recognizes the Virus TI as an external sound card. That means Audio through USB in MacOS will work flawlessly.

For those already getting their hopes up I am sorry to enlighten you.

The plugin will not work on Logic Pro, since Apple has now moved on to Audio Unit version 3 and the Virus TI plugin is an AU version 2 plugin.

That means no amount of clever hacking will make this ever work.

Cubase 10.5 to Cubase 12 still blacklist the plugins as well for unknown reasons even though they have not started their VST2 obsoletion, although next year they will. Now not only the driver, but even the software and plugin is too old to run on MacOS.

if you actually depend on your Virus for your productions my advice stays the same: just get yourself a good midi editor which auto-saves the plugin state per project. I am not sponsored by Mystery Islands, but at the moment VirusHC really is the best solution. There are some other midi editors out there such as CTRLR, but your milage may vary. Other solutions such as virtualizing or running the Virus through an older PC/Mac may work, but are really too complicated for a fast workflow you can rely on.

Actually one of the first things I tested when I got my M1 Mac in March last year.. Also came across that link.. unfortunately the plugin still crashes during validation because of some (system) library reference that doesn't exist on MacOS Big Sur and later.. Since the library and system folders are completely non-writable even with SIP turned off there's no way to get around that..

As long as your DAW sees the MIDI in and OUT of your midi interface it's fine. It doesn't have to ''know'' what synth you have connected.

Maybe not for you. But using classic MIDI cables introduces pretty significant timing inaccuracies, especially when playing back sequences for multiple parts.

Original MIDI is very slow and every chord is actually an arpeggio. With sample based sounds (e.g. drums) you can hear the phase shifts and sometimes even a flams depending on the number of notes being played simultaneously.

hmm. What sequencer are you using?

I use Logic Pro X, have my buffer set to 512 samples, which is around 18 ms and I always pre delay my midi channels to -18ms. Midi is always spot on. And believe me, I've did some extended testing. Of course the Virus can get a bit sloppy when running super maxed out patches (I'm talking 8 x unison + 2 maxed out hypersaws) but this has nothing to do with the actual midi signal..

Funny, I stumbled upon an add on marktplaats (dutch version of ebay), where someone is claiming to have a workaround for working with the Virus on Big Sur doing everything over USB. He is providing an implementation of the solution for 95 euro. It’s a fair price. But I am curious what he does to make it work. And if it really works….

Interesting. I wonder if he actually means using the official Access Virus Plugin through USB or if he's just referring to MIDI via USB...

EDIT: he seems to have already removed the add from Marktplaats.nl. Did you get the chance to speak to this guy?

Heads up, I've gotten a report via the Facebook group I admin that the latest Windows updates break the drivers on PC making the Virus unfindable.

https://www.facebook.com/group…4163516337019600/?__cft__[0]=AZWIakD34iTX9Vzy22h4QjMh6_0zApSnaLeN2DpUAniYj1zXEXaV_yzD3-XUYAqWwONgPY1VRjufScUn1FO8iD7wPWeBYN6nm1v-q9QgKMbmxwdM2upHmLhEhWCipjZmLQZyfDnFAqBcwHgExsXNDx8-&__tn__=%2CO%2CP-R

Doesn't work on Windows 10 for ARM either. Installation goes fine but the plugin and Virus Control software simple cannot find the Virus.