Beiträge von skittb123

Okay so false alarm.

Don't listen to Ascend. There is literally zero point in using the Virus as a soundcard. Installed or not, this does not influence the capability of using the Virus as a midi instrument. Midi in/out still works wether the software is installed or not. Obviously you can't use the Virus as a midi interface in order to send midi signals to itself.

You still need a midi + audio interface, preferably one with 6 balanced inputs. (TRS)

woah woah, wait a minute!!! So the TI plug in doesn't work yeah? But the usb audio DOES? And does the usb midi work? In other words could you set it up as a virtual instrument in Logic then? And does Big Sur recognise all three usb audio outs?

Yes, USB audio does work. But let’s not cheer too early, the whole plugin simply crashes while validating and judging from the error report it tries to run the plugin as a VM because Apple now deems usage of .kext files unsafe. Since the VC is based around usage of .kext it needs to be largely rewritten probably. Not sure about midi and multiple outs.. I already removed the beta for now tbh..

UPDATE:

As most of ya'll probably know Apple just announced MacOS Big Sur.

As optimistic as I am I decided to give the Beta a try to see what changed regarding the Virus TI. Unfortunately I am sad to inform you guys that on MacOS Big Sur Beta, The Virus TI software now completely ceased working. The installer can only run by turning off System Integrity and while it does install the VST, VST3 and AU plugins, only AU is actually recognized by plugin validation. I’ve tried this in Studio One and Logic Pro and both just crash while trying to open the plugin. The VST and VST3 version don’t even make it to the validation process.

Another update: Weirdly enough MacOS Big Sur does still recognize the Virus as an USB audio interface and they've actually fixed audio on the Virus!

You can now select the Virus as an Audio out in MacOS's Sound settings and it works again. (doing that in Catalina resolved in no sound)

So it seems like Access wouldn't even have to work on that part. All they need to do is fix the VST, VST3 and AU plugin.

Due to what Apple are about to do with.... actually I gotta be super careful here, NDA and all that, but... well this bit is out in the public domain already if you know where to look so I can say this much at least. Apple are going to be a little more... forceful shall I say delicately, with prompting customers to move to the latest macOS version.

This is already in action.. I've pretty much been forced to upgrade to Catalina on my 2018 Mac Mini due to consistent kernel panics. My newer Mac doesn't even support Mojave.

Let's just hope Access gets their shit together soon because Mojave support is really on it's last legs! Common Access! The ploytec driver is out already so what are we waiting for???

Just wanted open this thread to spare you the time & money of investing in an expensive audio interface, in order to use your Virus TI2 with MacOS Catalina.

I personally have invested in a rather expensive audio interface: The Presonus Quantum2626. It’s based on Thunderbolt 3 and it’s actually the fastest interface available on the market atm, and has amazing sounding converters.

I bought it so I could use the keep using the Virus TI plugin on MacOS Catalina, by utilizing the Analog Outs of the Virus TI2.

I’ve actually got the buffer size of my setup down to 32 samples, which has a round trip latency of 1,8 ms.

This is a latency I’m willing to accept. If only it was that easy.

After extensive testing I can definitely say there is absolutely NO WAY you can predict what the latency of the Virus TI2 is going to be at any given moment. One moment it’s actually 1,8 ms, other moments it’s 200 ms. Because this fluctuation I can’t even use the Quantum2626 for exporting the Virus’s output, since the timing is all over the place, even within one export.

Before you ask, this is not only a happening with my Quantum. I already owned a few simple Beyerdynamic and NI interfaces and they give me exactly the same problem. (with even worse timing). It’s also not my Mac. I own two brand new 2019 Macs & I’d be amazed if they weren’t up to the simple task of streaming and recording 3 stereo outputs of my Virus TI.

All in all, even if you get the audio streams working, musically it's just not going to work because of the timing problems.
    would the Virus have a steady latency that doesn't fluctuate, this wouldn’t be problem, but the sheer unpredictability of the timing makes it completely useless.

so, if you're on Catalina and hope to get your Virus TI working by investing in an expensive audio interface, spare yourself the hassle. It won't work.

All we can really do now is hope and pray for Access to come with an update.

Marc I sincerely hope we can at least get an update on the situation. I think for most of us it can be comforting to know wether Access is working on it or not.

The solution is simply but it can only be done if you have Logic Pro 10.4.8.

Delete: User --> Library --> Caches --> AudioUnitCache

Open Logic Pro 10.4.8 and let the Plugin Validation do it's job.

Then open Logic Pro 10.5 and don't ever touch AudioUnitCache again.

Make several backups of your AudioUnitCache file if possible.

Getting Logic Pro 10.4.8 is a different story though. I accidentaly upgraded to 10.5 and did not have a backup. I've actually been on the phone with Apple for almost an hour and they simply couldn't give me a simple download link to 10.4.8. What I did was download 10.4.8 from a torrent so I could run the Plugin Validation and then open my legit version of LPX 10.5 again.. ridiculous but the only solution for now..

Just discovered that activating Live mode fixes the problem of the lag with the Virus responding to Midi when using Catalina and Logic Pro X. I confirmed that the timing of the recorded midi data is good. Virus is now usable for me again using audio outs instead of usb audio. Would still really, really appreciate getting updated software from Access that is compatible with Catalina.

That's great that it works for you, but the Analog Outs don't have PDC (plugin delay compensation) due to hardware limitations (confirmed by Access), so you're still left with a fluctuating lag when using Live mode.

The best I got with MacOS Catalina is a lag fluctuating around 13 ms, but this changes every other count, so you can't rely on it. That's the most annoying part. What delay times are you getting and what's your setup if I may ask?

No offence - but you couldn't be further from the mark with your hypothesis around "old chips" and "low level machine code" support. It doesn't work that way.

A higher-level language (such as C++) compiles down to processor byte code - it's not about the processor supporting e.g. C++ - it's about the higher-level language supporting compilation for a particular processor.

Anyway - as I understand it - the issue here is Access relied on a 3rd party for the OSX driver / USB audio integration code. It's dependent on that 3rd party making available a new release of this code for Catalina. Once this happens they are then reliant on finding a resource who can integrate this new code into their Mac Virus code base - and this in itself is a fairly big task end-to-end and they are looking to hire (maybe).

no offense taken. That makes sense.

Still, as I see it now, we probably won't see another release until months after that vacancy is filled..

I have some words back from Ploytec:

In short they said that Access Virus GmbH already has the new driver code for some time now. It's would only be a matter of time before they would release the macOS Catalina drivers.

I am the first to admit I was wrong about my above statements. It was my poor judgement and lack off information that made me think Access Virus GmbH wasn't working on the future of the "Virus Ti".

That's interesting. I don't think your first hypothesis was that far off the mark though.

If Access actually had the driver code for quite some time they would have had the driver finished by now..

so maybe they can't find the right man for the job within their budget?

I'm not a coder myself but from what I've gathered is that because the Virus TI chips are very old, they only support low level ''machine'' code.

Since most modern chipsets support higher level code languages like C++ It's probably very hard to find an old school programmers that can do low level coding, and if there are, they're probably quite expensive. So maybe Access isn't willing to spend as much, but publicly they don't want to burn the bridge just yet since that will hurt the sales.

''We do not have any updates in regards to macOS Catalina compatibility at this point. Once we have news we will certainly post these as these soon as available.

We in general do not comment on future developments.''

Yep, very striking how they turn defensive as soon as you ask about an update.

ChrisCabbage Nevermind, I got it working by dragging the VST and AU files from an old Mojave volume. It's very buggy though, and the timing issue is still there, so for now the Virus Plugin is still the best option.

Any updates?

Ploytec driver for MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) is out, but no update from Virus them selfs? I don't mind that they are still working on it, but a little open communication and honesty would make a big difference. Maybe they need to buy a new license for de Ploytec driver and don't want to-do that? I am willing to pay a fee for a new driver update.

I pity the people who just bought a new mac and cannot downgrade to Mojave to make use of the Virus. The Virus TI2 is still sold.

I own a 16 inch MacBook Pro which can't be downgraded to Mojave. Simply does not work. My Mac mini 2018 stopped supporting Mojave too last week. Running Mojave on it now causes the machine to crash during sleep and this is a risk I'm not willing to take. I'll be the last to say that's not Apple's fault, but at some point we are all stuck with Catalina. Technology is moving forward.

About the Ploytec Licence. I personally wouldn't even mind if we all would have to pay a little for a new release. Maybe €99,- for a software update and include it for free with every Virus TI sold right now? Marc Would that be an idea?