Posts by Coronado

dchord, thanks for reminding... always forget that one.. may be just don't like simple solutions.. hahaha
    Although I don't believe in shorter, although generally shorter is better (cables that is ;) ), changing the cable is certainly not a bad idea. You could have hit a bad one.

What attracted my attention is that you both have the same audio device...

Wow... what can I say..
    You didn't get any sound? When you open the sound manager in your control panel, under playback you will find your audio devices listed, can check te properties and configure them. The Virus should be listed there, preferably (for the moment) as the only one and be set as default. Opening a simple MP3 should play through the Virus now.

If not, make sure Focusrite and keyboard are disconnected, uninstall your Virus software.
    press windows key and R (the run prompt will open)
    Paste "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" without the quotes and hit enter.
    Now go to your device manager (in control panel) open it, in the top menu look for "view" open and select "show hidden devices".
    Now you can see all drivers in your system, connected or not.

This will enable you to do two things. Look for duplicate drivers from the Virus and you can uninstall them on the spot. Second, check your system for other drivers that are obsolete or are not supposed to be present.
    If you find other duplicate drivers ( hardware connected through USB!) you can decide to uninstall them as well. When there's need you can always re-install.

When you think all is well. No other audio devices are present. Re-install the Virus software and set to default audio device. Use Sound manager again to check and configure. All SHOULD be well..

BTW: Do not turn on your Virus (connected to USB) until you are asked to do so, during installation. Most USB hardware installation work that way and sometimes fail because people first connect the gear and then install the software. It seems so easy that one doesn't read the manual before installing drivers. Nevertheless it is better to do so. It is all programmed in sequence, you change the sequence chances are it will not work properly. General observation only, not specifically directed to you (except for the first sentence of course). ;)

Keep my fingers crossed.
    Take care

Definitely switch off the on-board audio device. I did a little search on problems related to this motherboard. Although there are no significant issues reported, the realtec audio (Azalea) seems to be the basis of a lot of audio problems in Windows 7. It's also recommended by Gigabyte when using another audio device to disable it.

Switch of on-board audio. In the BIOS, chapter "Integrated peripherals" will reveal the option to disable "Azalea Codec". This will switch off the on-board audio.

Although DPC shows everything in the green and your PC should definitely be able to produce streaming audio, spikes are never a good sign. I use a laptop at the moment, not very well tweaked and when streaming audio most is a little in yellow, but no spikes at all. So all is well. No problem. I could check all drivers to lower it, but since I have no problems I don't bother. When it aint broken....

Spikes can happen occasionally, that's normal. But when showing a constant and repetitive pattern something is messing with your system usually. It doesn't need to be the basis of our problem, as it remains green, it can not be excluded either however.

The usual procedure is, as stated in DPC, to disable everything that's not absolutely needed (wifi, lan, cameras, external gear, etc) in device manager and see if that helps. One after another you can switch back on, until the problem arises.. Now you know where to troubleshoot... In your case that's exactly what I would do. Virus connected as only audio device and sound card, headphones/speakers connected to the Virus. The Virus connected to a USB2 port and see what happens.. You can use DPC as a kind of monitor for changes in behavior..

This procedure I'd not only follow for improving latency, but when everything is well connected and working as it should, something is preventing you from having the fun you paid for, Well... let's find the MF'er! ;)

BTW, when first starting out with my Virus I too had problems getting things right. With help from Access we found the on-board webcam was the culprit.. switched off et voila. Just to let you know there is hope and you're not alone.

Good luck.

Sh.. bummer. I too thought we had it.

Flabberbob is right, disconnect the Focusrite or switch it off. Just to eliminate the chance of it messing up your Virus's connection in any way. Just to make sure, disable the on-board sound chip as well (in the bios).

BTW, did you check for spikes, with DPC?

I see no enhanced USB controllers in your device manager. That might be the problem. Go to the Intel website and look for the latest drivers for your (X58 ) chip set. My guess is, problem solved.

You're welcome btw! I love these puzzles. :)

Just checked the Intel website and they don't seem to provide drivers (anymore?). Gigabyte does, install the "Intel INF installation".

Better look for a USB 2 port, sure your computer has some. I've read about incompatibility problems with some equipment and USB 3. Not experienced first hand though. Nevertheless it could be that simple.

BTW Flabberbob has a good point there. It is not as if the buffer NEEDS to be lower than 256 samples. When it works ok...

That being said I just remembered running into a similar problem a year back or so. Out of the blue, my Virus didn't behave as usual when connected to my computer. I checked my Computer for latency issues with DPC Latency Checker (freeware, google) and indeed it was showing strange peaks (spikes) I removed all external gear and one by one reconnected them. My wifi dongle seemed to be causing the spikes. I remembered I had updated the drivers recently. Reverted back to the old drivers and all was well again/

DPC Latency Checker is great for checking if your system will handle real time data ok and will help pinpointing the problem if there is one.

In the Virus enter the config menu and walk to the options until you see "audio clock". If it's set to internal better change that to auto. It will automatically sync to external audio clock signals. For me this works perfectly. This way you don't have to change anything in your focusrite. In the same page you can manually change the sample frequency as well if you like.
    An average computer today should be able to play these plugins you mention just fine. Sylenth1 for example is well known for its little use of resources. One of the best programmed soft synths around I think. What I usually do when I try out a plugin (like the Virus in this case) I use Savihost.
    Also my favorite tool when I want to jam on my Virus and need external presets or need to change RAM banks quickly.. A great tip also for people who want a standalone version of the Virus Control plugin. Search Google for Savihost and you'll find Hermann Scheib's website allowing you to download various freeware tools. Savihost and Vsthost (it's bigger and very versatile brother) are as good as they come. It's a small VST host that allows you to play one plugin without the hassle, foot print and 100's of settings, that can be wrong, of a DAW. No installation, just one exe file. Very nice: when you copy the savihost exe in the same directory as your plugin and change the name of the exe to the same name as the dll plugin file, it will act as a standalone version. For example, copy savihost.exe to your virus snow plugin directory and name it Virus TI Snow.exe. You can create a shortcut to your desktop. Now, when ever you double click this shortcut Virus Control will start as if it were standalone. You can do this with every vst plugin!

Now you will have very few settings to worry about. Very few resources wasted and can look for the problem without having to worry about something in your DAW that you may have overlooked. If all is well in this setup and your DAW still doesn't produce the expected result, you know you will have to check the settings of your DAW.

Hope this helps.

Although there is no information about the routing in your system, there are a few simple things you can check.
    The sample frequency of both audio devices (Virus and Focusrite) better be the same (eg 44.1 or 48 khz). In most cases they need to be the same to hear anything at all.
    If that's ok, you can change the Virus to another USB port, to see if that makes a difference. You may need to uninstall excess midi drivers in a later stage. Info on that you can find on this forum.

I only recently installed OS 5 and I found the Virus's response somewhat sluggish after that. Sound was ok, but a bit clouded it seemed and some newer presets (may be 5 in one bank) didn't produce sound. This morning installed the updated version following the usual procedure. Uninstall old version, install new, switch on virus when asked, reboot (automatically updates OS) and finish. That was all. All issues resolved. The Virus is responsive again, the sound clear as always, better sync it seems. All is well. Congratulations Access on a job well done! Thanks a lot for this update. (Win 7 Professional, 64bit. btw)

usb update mode
    virus ti v3.04......i found it......but guess.....won't work !!!!ppffffff
    but thanks for the ideas

If I were you I'd unplug all those external hard drives first. Looking at the image you posted, that could very well be the problem, You have quite a bunch.. Too much USB activity for the system to handle comfortably maybe. Usually you don't have to go in "update mode". It should work just as is. Uninstall previous version, with Virus switched off. Install new version, when asked switch on your Virus.. That's it. Usually that is. ;)

Only once I had to use this update mode to bring my Ti to live. I thought it had died on me, when during rom burning the control center froze. Puff.. lights out (ALL!). Thank god for update mode, which revived the virus with a re-install of the OS.

BTW. Let me start with saying that I have no clue if or how the Virus's midi drivers are used or influenced during the installation procedure. Nevertheless it doesn't hurt to check your system for the number of installed midi drivers. Although Microsoft doesn't comment on this, Windows 7 still seems to suffer from the 10 devices limit. To make things worse they have basically removed or hidden the configuration interface of midi devices. Maybe their solution to the problem. If you don't see it, it doesn't exist. Windows automatically switches off the excess drivers. So.. you end up with devices that do not work. In your audio devices manager (control panel) you can right click the list of devices listed under "playback" and "recording" and select "show disabled devices". This might give you a hint.

Now.., you may think with only three or four devices you are safe. What happens when you unplug your device (eg. Virus) and the next time you plug it in a different USB port? Windows installs another copy of the driver. So, with four USB ports and one Virus you could have 4 drivers installed already. That adds up very quickly. I have a Korg M3 also, which comes with a midi uninstall utility (thank Korg for that ;) ), which shows all installed midi devices and uninstalls the ones I select. Pretty convenient and this has saved te day several times. I would not advice to install it as it comes with a midi driver. M-Audio has a stand alone utility called Midi Fix, which is known to do the same. I don't know if it works with Windows 7 though. It can be downloaded from their website.. It seems that some midi devices are more susceptible to this problem. Why that is beats me.

My advice, never change USB ports in general if possible to avoid conflicts, but with midi devices in particular. Stay monogamous! ;) It also helps to check which devices are connected to the same USB "channel". These channels are shared, not every port as his own channel. The slowest device sets the speed. Use a USB 1.0 mouse on the same USB channel as the Virus and a problem is born. Checking your USB configuration is not that straight forward sadly. In your hardware manager you can check the properties (right click the different controllers). There you will find helpful information. It will also tell you if a port is running at high speed. I believe the Virus has a dedicated way to make sure the speed is ok. Nonetheless it doesn't hurt to check it out when in trouble. Good hunting.

I'm not getting your point really. You can use the S/PDIF ins/outs, but they're no USB ports. To use VC you will have to use USB, as far as I know. I've not really tweaked my system and the latency is absolutely acceptable. It might not be the Virus producing the latency. If you use another sound card to monitor the master channels, you will have two audio devices that produce latency. Combined that could become quite noticeable. Probably it would be easier to tweak your "master device" first. Most serious devices have the option of lowering sample buffer to improve latency. Also make sure that everything is running at the same sample frequency. All audio devices and the software you use should be set to the same frequency (44.1/48 etc.) There can only be one master, so if you set all sync to internal problems will rise. One should be internal, the rest external. With everything connected right, the externally synced devices should follow the one set to internal. Various problems rise when not synced correctly, from distortion to no sound at all. The Virus warns you in the display when there is a sync problem, but only for a moment.
    I would be a lot happier if synth builders would stay away from building in audio devices. Most of the time your in for a lot of problems, because by now you have three or even more audio devices sitting around, ADAT would be a great way to supply a single digital in/output with 8 channels. Switchable to S/PDif for the people that can't use ADAT. Wouldn't be that hard to integrate in any setup. USB we can still use for midi.. My 2cts.

Although the original tip, buying a separate USB controller, might be a good idea it's not always necessary. Your computer has two types of controllers (sort of drivers) universal host controllers and enhanced host controllers. Each 2 USB ports share one universal host controller and as most computers have only one enhance host controller all ports share this one. BTW new motherboards often have two enhanced controllers (check your device manager). As far as I know all PCI USB add on cards only have one!

Thing is, USB 2.0 is backwards compatible and the slowest device on a controller sets the speed! So.. If your enhanced USB controller, which is responsible for delivering the maximum speed, is on the same chain as a slower device you've got yourself a problem. If you check your device manager you'll find all controllers deliver a percentage of the maximum USB speed/ bandwidth. For audio streaming this is more than sufficient (e.g. 192 khz x 24 bit x 8 channels gives 37 Mb/s uncompressed, which is less than 10%) Make sure USB devices that need max speed don't share universal host controller with a slower device. Better, don't share universal host controller at all. Same goes for the Enhanced host controller, as it probably won't share slower devices but certainly bandwidth.

If you get dropouts, you might want to check your USB chain. In device manager select "view by connection", check the USB controllers and you will be a lot wiser. Changing your gear to different ports might be all the change you need. Last note, a USB 2.0 device not always delivers the maximum speed. It is USB 2.0 compliant! A USB 2.0 keyboard most likely will be happy with low speed and will set the others (on the same universal controller) to the same low speed. 480 Mb/s wouldn't that be nice... :evil:
    Be advised that changing USB ports will require another driver installation. Especially for midi devices you'd better uninstall previous drivers first. WIndows has a limitation of 10 midi devices. Installing new ones could easily attract problems, without removing the old ones.

It looks like the midi device is not being installed correctly. I've no idea whether this is still is a limitation in Vista 64, but Windows has a limitation of 10 midi devices. Every time you plugin a device in a different USB port a new one gets installed. This issue might prevent the Virus from establishing a midi connection to do the update. In your laptop you can use the free Midifixutil from M-audio to solve that problem. For Vista you'll probably have to check your registry and do the un-installs yourself.

Good luck!

When I write I opened the plug in in Acid 7, you can bet your life on that. I'm not in the habit of being called a liar. I know how to point my hosts to a VST directory, which of course is a common one. As I posted before Access did not install a plug in in the 32 bit VST directory, although the installer requests the location. The 64 bit VST directory is NOT a directory you want to point your 32 bit VST host to. As is quite often the case, my guess is the plug in itself is not 64 bit, just the audio driver. Therefor things work just fine, with a little push here and there. I made a screen shot, but it seems I can not attach that to a post. Sorry about that.

I had the same problem in ACID. ACID has a plug in manager that enables you to see which plug ins failed to load. There the Virus was listed. After I instructed to scan the plugin again it showed and worked ok. I'm not familiar with Live, so I don't know what options you have to scan it again. I think though, it's the same problem, it failed to load. For whatever reason.

Last night I grabbed the 3.3.0 version and installed it on my Xp x64 system. All seemed well. All drivers except the midi driver installed automatically. It was recognized though, after instructing Windows to search automatically the driver installed. The Virus didn't update however. It stated "connected", no additional info. The installer after a while reported finished successfully. The Virus reported still the old OS. The Virus control center didn't find the Virus right away. I needed to update the USB connection, which I did. The control center tried to update the OS, with the same result.
    After that I removed the software and changed USB port. New install went ok. Only the midi driver again didn't install automatically. I finished that before progressing the install and this time everything went smoothly. Working great. Finally I can use my Virus in my setup!! Thanks a lot.

I wonder why, although the installer requests the 32 bit VST location, there is no actual 32 bit plug in installed. I opened the 64 bit plug in in a 32 bit application without a problem however. Anyway, great job! :thumbsup:

Used the plug in in ACID 7. Scanning took some time. The Plug in didn't show in the VST list (for the record, I copied the dll into the 32 bit VST plug in section). Luckily ACID has a plug in manager that allows you to see the failed plug ins. The Virus was listed there. I instructed ACID to scan it again... et voila! It is working ok now..

I'm a Virus Ti user for a year now. When I bought it, I didn't check the Virus's 64 bit support, as I figured this was self explanatory. The Virus Ti being a professional and successful synth. I'm using XP 64bit for 2 years now and very pleased with that, but using my Virus is a pain. I couldn't care less about the USB/audio features, just want to be able to use the VC in my projects. C'mon Access, my Virus Ti is the last in line. 64bit is the way to go for musicians, so any respectable synth producer should be up to date with that. I've seen many updates, thanks for that, but until there is 64 bit support all updates are a disappointment sort of. Maybe this this should be posted in the feature request section, but I feel it is a problem and not a feature at this point in time. :thumbdown: