Beiträge von namahshaman

As mentioned before, I've had similar problems with ghost notes and ghost midi-messages. I'll check out this MIDI monitor and try to run some tests too.

Yeah.

That turned out not to be the solution. After a week or so, I got another ghost note. I still haven't had another stuck note, but that doesn't mean it won't happen again. I've tried to notice other consistencies when it happens, and so far (at least for the 4 ghost notes I've observed) they only happen on patches that have the Hold Pedal option Enabled. Of course, this, like everything else I've observed, may just be another coincidence.

The first time this problem affects a live performance, depending on how badly it does, I'll probably be done with it. For good. I may get another Virus, I may not. It seems like an overly glitchy/buggy machine, and I don't have the time or the money to keep up a finicky BMW... Especially when my Volvo is in the million-mile club and running strong, bug-free for 8+ years.

I also own three Moog synths (phatty, voyager, minitaur), and the entire line of moogerfoogers (+ a theremin), and you know how many problems I've had with Moog gear? ZERO. NONE. not a fucking one.

However, I have owned two models of the Virus, the TI and TI2. I returned the TI after a week for MULTIPLE bugs and glitches. Now I've got this beautiful three thousand dollar machine that taunts me with uncertainty and unreliability.

Access, you could learn a thing or two (or two thousand) from the good people at Moog Music.

First and foremost , build a CONSISTENTLY RELIABLE product.

Next, it wouldn't hurt to have a team dedicated to getting to the bottom of these bugs and fixing them, instead of saying, "well, if you can't recreate the problem, we can't fix it."

That's fucked and you know it.

Feel free to shake your Virus vigorously. haha.

Seriously though, I guess you could place the Virus on metal keyboard-stand arms, not using the rubber feet on the Virus, metal on metal, and produce some vibrations (ie loud bass, etc).

This could also be an isolated case. And of course, like I said, I'm not convinced that this is the solution yet. I'm still testing. (I did put the Virus back on the metal arms the first day and get a stuck note, but I haven't tried it again since. been enjoying a functioning Virus too much. ha).

Sounds like a job for Access to figure out. I'm no technician. ha

Nice try musikman2008, but I'm not quite that stupid. haha

I'm not 100% positive yet, but I think I may have sorted out the issue. As of now, I'm going on over 18 hours without a glitch, which is more than it's ever gone.

Ok, here's what I did (sounds bizarre, I know, but hear me out). I noticed in the manual that it clearly states the Virus needs to be on a flat stable surface. Up until now, I had the Virus on the second tier of my stand where the metal bottom of the Virus was laying across the two metal arms of the tier, possibly causing some vibrational issues. SO, I spread the arms out to where they were aligned with the rubber feet on the bottom of the Virus, then for extra shock-absorbency I placed some foam-rubber tubes around the tier arms.

I performed this alteration four days ago, and have run the Virus 4-6 hours a day since without a single hanging/stuck note or ghost note... or any glitches for that matter. Which leads me to believe that I've sorted the problem out, since before I could never go more than a day without a glitch.
    This might explain why it only happens to some of you at gigs and not in the studio.

I'll keep everyone posted and up to date.

The longer my Virus works properly, the more I'm falling in love with it.

Ok, I've also been having these same problems with my TI2 keyboard. In fact, by this point I've experienced all three issues, ghost notes, hanging and stuck notes, both thru midi and just with the Virus in standalone.

I am using no computers, no USB, only MIDI-out of the Virus -in to a Nord Electro 2 Rack. Occasionally it will send ghost MIDI-on to the Electro or get stuck while playing the Electro with the Virus keyboard.

I know this is a stretch, but could the placement of the keyboard be affecting the hardware somehow? I have the Virus on the second tier of my stand, so it's tilted at an angle. Could it need to be completely straight on a flat surface?

I'm grasping at straws here, I know, but I'm pretty desperate to solve this problem. As I've mentioned in another thread, I have an important gig coming up later this month, and I don't need to worry about these bugs and glitches. Our live set has a lot of subtle-ambient-textured transitions and I don't need my Virus ruining the entire mood of the performance.

I'm sorry, but how the hell can something so expensive be so problematic??? Is this what it's like to own a BMW? This is the second TI I've purchased in the last two months. So, if you're a prospective buyer who's come to peruse the forums for advice, BEWARE THE BUGGY VIRUS.

(BTW:Is the title of this synth some sick joke? Does it run on Windows or something? Jesus.)

ACCESS, PLEASE SORT THIS OUT.

What sort of midi setup do you have with the Virus?

After many hours of troubleshooting today, I MAY have figured out the source of the problem, but since the glitches are sporadic–who knows. haha.

I had a rather complicated MIDI chain involving two different midi-solution devices, on 2in-1out box and one 1in-4thru. MIDI out went from the Virus and the Electribe ESX to the first box, one out went into the second box, and four throughs came out, three to other rack mounted synths, and one back into the Virus. All of that so that I could both sequence the rack modules with the ESX, and also play them with the Virus keyboard.

If I take all the MIDI out, the glitches don't seem to occur. So, the problem have more to do with the Virus not interacting well with the MIDI boxes. BUT, if any of you are having this problem without any MIDI hooked up, then I haven't found a solution at all. haha.

So, is this just a common Virus problem, or what?

A month ago I bought a used Virus TI, in addition to other problems it seemed to frequently get stuck or hanging notes while playing or editing. Since it had other buggy glitches as well (and looked a bit banged up) I returned it to the previous owner for a full refund.

It took me a couple weeks to find another one, this time I wasn't taking any chances, I went with the latest TI2 model, barely used and in near-mint condition, even came with a transferable warranty (think I have 3 or 4 months left). When the synth arrived it looked immaculate, not a scratch on it, not a loose knob, nothing. However, I wasn't tweaking it long before I got my first stuck note. Then, I made a patch and as I was opening and closing the filter cutoff repeatedly at different rates to hear the sweep, the filter just stopped responding to knob turns, it was stuck halfway opened, no matter where I turned either filter knob. Oddly, if I released and re-triggered the keys/notes it would start working again.

Of course, I went with my first instinct and downloaded and installed the latest OS, thinking this would fix the glitches.

To my disappointment, this did not rectify the issue. It was only a couple hours after the update that I got my first stuck note. Then I re-opened the previous patch and started tweaking the filter cutoff again, within a couple minutes it failed. Again.

Then yesterday my band was rehearsing our set, and I got a new problem out of the Virus. In my rig I use the TI2 as the main board, which means I use MIDI out to control a Moog slim phatty and a Nord electro rack. So, I'm playing the electro's organ with the TI2's keyboard and I get a stuck note on the organ. I've owned the unit for three years and used it with 5 different controllers and NEVER had a stuck note. (and yes, that's right. Not even using USB or computer and still having problems).

Is this just the world of Virus? Are they all this buggy and glitchy and unreliable? How does anyone tour with these? I have a big gig coming up in March and I'm terrified to use this unpredictable machine. Which is really a shame because I'm loving the sounds I get out of it, but fuck me, it's not worth it if the damn thing can't perform properly.

I used a Nord Lead 2x as the main board in my rig for four years, I never got one single stuck/hanging note, not one. Never once did the filter decide to stop working. Thank God, I haven't sold my Nord yet. Until I get this Virus dis-ease sorted out, I'll have to keep it around for a reliable back up.

I've owned many late model synths, from Korgs and Rolands, to Nords, Moogs, and Dave Smiths, and I've never experienced so many problems with one synth. I've had major problems with 2 Virus's in less than 2 months.

Please help me. Any advice, knowledge, information, etc, you want to share will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

For the past three years, the main board in my rig has been a Nord Lead 2x. I recently replaced it with the Virus TI2 Keyboard. Of course, I have several patches on the Nord that I would like to transfer over to the virus (I realize they won't sound exactly the same).

Is there any software out there that can be used to transfer parameter settings of patches from one synth to another?

Thanks.