Beiträge von OnovaMusic

Since these guys are re-writing the USB driver, maybe it's a good opportunity to get them to test out some of these odd issues people sometimes have.

I know Access hasn't been able to recreate many of them in their testing lab, but maybe these guys can? Since they're taking so long, and since they decided to wait until after Mavericks was released instead of the 3-month beta period when they were supposed to do this.

Some guidelines they could use to test the fringe cases: instead of hooking up a Virus to a Mac and calling that the test environment...why not test it like how REAL, working music producers use it. Plug in the Virus, a Maschine, couple other USB synths, external hard drives, a FireWire audio interface, THEN see if it works flawlessly. In other words, get them to do some "real world testing" for once.

Couldn't agree more. Just using the Virus alone with no other gear in a real life studio isn't very likely. As my self using an iMac with a usb connected midi controller, an usb backup disk, and usb connected media disk and a Firewire sound card makes it difficult to use the Virus without any issues. Ive been reading solutions like buying a standalone USB hub with its own power supply etc etc to be able to use the virus without any issues just because the way the iMac is built. A computers only purpose is not to only to produce music and i do not think that the developers think "Hey we need to have a separate USB connection so that musicians can run their viruses".

So the developers need to do some real testing as you said. The TI has been around for some time now and i think that the development is some years behind when you think of the possibilities and the power that a computer has today. Connections like thunderbolt and usb 3.0 should be standard.

Ive had this problem also and found out that there are two issues that causes this. It may not be the same for you but.

1. On the filter i needed to adjust the attack time.
    2. Make sure your virus gets enough bandwidth on the USB port. I bought a external USB hub where i keep my external hdd´s and other stuff which solved a lot of clicking for me. Hopefully the future viruses will be able to run thru thunderbolt or USB 3.0 or something faster.
    3. Also since you cannot use the max amount of buffer size you computer needs to work harder. So when the computer cannot compensate the latency it can create snapple, crackle and pops. Read more about it here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1314

So there is a lot of factors that i personally think shouldn't need to be there but they are. ^^

Ok so i did the "downgrade" as it told me.

So i have reverted to OSX ML and the Virus OS to 5.0.2.01 and everything is back to normal.. :thumbup: *phew*!! Not doing that again 8|

So i decided to make the drastic decision to revert back to OSX ML with Time Machine.

Fired up LPX and started the Virus AU and it told me that the OS wasn't compatible with my Virus and needed to be updated???

I launched the VCC and it wants to "update" or downgrade from 5.0.4.02 to 5.0.2.01 ?(?(?(

Same issue here, + I got a Kernel warning when I turned my Virus on.
    When I opened Logic X and assigned a strip to the Virus plug in I got this distorted continous noise.

I thought the problem was only by using the virus as audio not as a plug-in too...

"Yaay" im not alone :D was beginning to think i did something wrong but there is something that happens once you fire up that virus with the USB and feel very scary. I have uninstalled everything that has to do with the virus on my Mac not and fortunately i can use it with good old fashion analog midi and audio but not as smooth as using the AU :wacko:

I had already done one re-install since some doesn't seem to have the issue but it didn't help. However i found a .kext in system extensions that didn't get removed upon uninstall and i think this .kext contained som sort of drivers for the virus. As i wrote before i initially got an .kext error message when i fired up a project with the virus in.

So im gonna try to do one last install to see if it helps, otherwise ill give up.

When i fire up the Virus with USB i get a couple of hundreds of lines in systemmonitor with this line " before m_pUSBDevice->DeviceRequest 0xc1-81-0000-0022 "

thanks and good luck
    marc

Hi Marc.

I just tested running the old fashion way without the plugin and no troubles and no weird sound so it must be the AU plugin that is going nuts, at least for me! Now I'm running the virus in LPX with external MIDI and analog I/O and no issues at all so at least i can continue my work but a little more effort :D And I'm glad my Virus isn't broken!!! ^^

Thanks for you reply Marc and after your answer i feel even more worried that something i have got some strange issue that no one else has and that my Virus now is broken for some uknown reason.. I have been running Virus in LPX ever since it came out with no problem at all. I will try to run the virus the "old school" way tonight and see if the sound still remains and if possible.

First time i loaded my ongoing project in LPX i got a strange KEXT error that i havnt seen before. I the trired to load a new project in LPX with one instance of just the access virus and this is when i discovered the kernel_task issue. Since the Virus would not stop "screaming" i tried to unassign the AU from the channel but it caused LPX to freeze and i needed to brute force quite LPX and the kernel_task hit the roof. I have tested other projects without the Virus and all work as normal. I have unistalled all unsupported plugins when i made the switch to LPX so everything points to the virus since the system and everything runs smooth otherwise.

I have already got my TI exchange one time and i really hope that nothing bad has happened to it. ;(

My CPU hits the roof when i launch the AU plugin and have just a loud distored sound coming out. Tried on LPX LP9 and Ableton Live, same resault. Checking the system activity in OSX it overloads the kernel_task. Last night i got an kernel panic so gonna put a side my virus so it wont ruin my computer.

I need to brute force quit LPX and then brute force shutdown on my iMac.

I have contacted Access support and i hope to see a solution soon.

P.S. Dont want to sound negative here but i cant get my head around that Access hasnt warned us about this before the release. I know i should have checked before i upgraded but since i havnt heard anything from Access (until the day after i upgraded) i was naive enought to think there wasnt any issues. And Mavericks has been on beta for some time now and one would think that a company like Access would be one step ahead. I read somewhere also that the software is developed by a third party? If so it doesnt really matters since its Access that sells and distribute the product, so trying to put the main responsibility on to someone else is just unprofessional. Try to take the critique and make something of it instead. Ive seen that when users critique Access their representatives seem to take it the wrong way here on the board and always try to defend Access like they never do anything wrong instead of trying to put some effort in helping out. So i guess my above text will probably be taken the wrong way but i needed to be said.

I have noticed one problem that i havnt had before. The transpose gets screwed up and whenever i start my project i need to adjust it. Usually 2 cents up and then the other time i start it its back on normal so i need to adjust it back. Don't know if this is a general problem. I have programed the patch from scratch if that make any difference.

Hi

Just have a question. Im using my Virus with USB and all work fine when I'm working but when i do a realtime bounce in Logic i sound like the Virus sounds (I have a bass and a lead from it) gets out of sync slightly at some points when i listen to the final master. Is this normal and should i bounce the the virus sounds to audio before bouncing the whole track?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Chris

Try to do the same filter modulation with the same patch when the Virus is in stand alone (USB is disconnected - copy the patch to one of the RAM banks if needed). If it still behaves the same then there is something wrong with the synth - either just yours (HW) or you found a bug (SW). If the clicks are limited to VC, it might be a USB bandwidth problem, so you can try the other USB ports on you computer.
    A sample of the sound could be helpful. Support could even use a sample project. Also, what did you mean by "im using the USB as main input"?
    Good luck!

Thank you for your answer. Ive managed to get most of the clicks/spikes away. Seems like its not related so much to the Virus. It seems like its something in Logic and my system that is causing this when it gets overloaded. Could that be a reason you think? the Virus plugin seem to be a real cpu hog.

Hello.

Ive had my Virus for a couple of months now and ever since i got it ive had some problems with Clicks and pops during automation on the filter. The unit is connected with USB and im using the USB as main input, no audio interface in between in my current setup (remodeling)

Anyway i have read thru the manual several times and followed all instructions with the installment and setup. I dont have any other issues and when the filter is fully open there is no ugly noises. Ive played around some with the envelopes on the filter and ive managed to take away some of the noises by adjusting the attack.

The issue reminds me of my old JP8000 :D that i also have that has this known issue with the clicks and pops on the filter. Im sure its maybe not the same thing but its just my reflection.

Does anybody have any info to share on how i can get rid of this?

Im running the latest Logic Pro 9.1.8 (32 bit) on OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.3

My virus is also up to date with all the latest updates.

If you need anymore info that can help you to help me then please say.

Thanks a bunch.