Beiträge von thetechnobear

thanks @ramusic

I also asked on the same question on one of the official youtube videos, and they said it 'kind of works',
    but the good news is they are working on proper TI integration... if/when that appears, I'll be interested to hear how it is...what does it add...

I think its a great idea by Spectrasonics, the idea we can get even more use out of the TI is exciting, and worth buying Omni for imo :)

Just seen that Omnisphere 2.5 is supporting Virus A & B for its hardware integration.

my question is... given the TI is basically compatible (from midi CC perspective), does this also work for the Virus TI.

anyone have Omnisphere (from 2.0 free upgrade apparently) , can you 'give it a go with a TI' and lets us know how it goes :)

Yes, I'll also concur, something around 10.12.5 has changed...

I've another USB device (ML Soundplane) that now has issues running alongside the Virus TI.
    basically, the Virus USB mode no longer seems to initialise correctly if it is turned on AFTER the other device, and if it is turned on BEFORE the other device, then the other device does not initialise correctly. I cannot see anything wrong in the console etc.

Interestingly, I've noticed that if I plug the Virus directly into the mac (rather than the MTT hub), it seems to work ok.
    (which is why I've not raised it as a bug report, as Access will just tell me its the hub, despite the hub working perfectly ok before ;))

so yeah, Apple has definitely changed something... that's causing a hiccup, as was all fine in previous versions of 10.12 (and prior)

side note: I suspect the issues involve the use of asynchronous usb io which is used by usb audio cards, my soundplane and alike - since other 'simpler' devices don't seem to be affect, and async usb has had various bugs associated with it, ever since Apple made major changes in El Capitan.
    I'm hoping eventually Apple will sort these issues out, but not holding my breath , till then I just try to workaround the issues the best I can.

are there any known issues with the VC plugins on Ableton 9.7 (64bit) , mac OS X 10.11.6 , Virus TI Kbd mk1
    (latest virus drivers installed)

Ive two issues:
    a) both VST and AU
    Control key + mouse does not bring up the 'automation menu' , so you are unable to change which parameters are automatable

b) VST distortion
    after launching Live, if you add the Virus VST (!) plugin , all patches are completely distorted. (sound like wrong sample rate or something)

BUT, if you delete this, and load the Virus AU plugin... the sound is fine.
    if you then go back to then delete this, and load the VST again, then this is also now fine.

SO... it looks like some kind of initialisation is not happening on the VST.

Ive also tested the same Virus VST under Cubase 8.5 and there it works perfectly, and the control key works for the automation menu.
    so it appears to be Live 9.7 plus Virus VST.

a side note... Ive noticed when the plugin is first created, it seems to spend alot longer doing the 'initialising' step... id say about 10-20 seconds, I'm sure this used to be pretty much instantaneous (after the initial 'download' after FW update)
    is there something I can do about this?

thanks for your help
    Mark

Hi...

so with Ploytech / usb-audio dragging their heals again on updating the drivers for Mac OS Sierra... Im wondering about alternatives, in particular not using the Virus drivers at all.

first thing to say, I don't use the Virus TI plugin, which necessitates the need for the drivers and virus control.

- I know how to get the Virus to switch to USB mode, and so get USB class compliant midi. (I can write C code to do this, as ive done on other platforms)
    - according to this thread (Virus TI and Unbutu) if the drivers are not installed the virus will act as a standard audio interface.

BUT... the missing part is the sound coming from the synth engine,
    which got me wondering...

I recognise that its likely Access cannot open source the code for the drivers, as this is likely owned by Ploytech. so its not theirs to give away.
    But surely Access are at liberty to detail the usb protocol that is in use? this way we could (in the open source community) could develop a driver.
    (this is much easier than trying to reverse engineer the protocol ... Im guessing we need to know audio format, and also probably information about sync'ing)

also, whilst they are at it... Access could open source the plugin code.... after all, its no use without the hardware, so why keep it closed source?
    ... its hardly intellectual property either, as its just sending sysex to the TI via the drivers.

Ive a pretty big fear, that Access has stopped developing the TI range, supporting the software is just a 'burden', its one they have to live with whilst selling TIs,
    but should they stop selling TI's they will probably just stop supporting the software... and once that happens the next OS release will basically kill 'total integration'

So.. Access, why not give the open source community what they need to be able to supporting the TI, so WHEN its not commercially viable to support the TI anymore, there is still an option open to users.
    (its also means Linux can be better supported in the meantime!)

btw: this is definitely not a dig at Access, they have been great at supporting the TI for years... its about opening up what will always become 'legacy' hardware to future support before its too late...
    (this stopping of software support is 'natural', most companies have done it, including NI, Roland, Nord... so its inevitable, but perhaps Access can buck the trend by having a strategy)

Id of course, be very interested to hear from Access, what their plans are in general... (though recognise they have some sensitivity to future plans, and what can be promised etc, so just looking for a general outline nothing more)

thoughts?

p.s. I know I can use the analog audio outputs to an audio interface, if I don't have the synth audio coming via usb, which is what i do currently... but it would be nice to have the option of usb audio.

@Marc is there a timeline for this? an estimated delivery date?

developer previews have been available since June so that developers can be ready before release. (even the public beta has been available for nearly a month).
    Why are your suppliers not using the dev previews? this appears to happen for every Mac OS release... yet we all know Apple tend to make a new release every 12-18months, its no 'surprise' to anyone including developers.

as for upgrading:

there are many saying Sierra is generally better than El Capitan, so many will want to upgrade, but yeah, usually its better to wait for the first maintenance release.

for me... Id like to upgrade one of my Macs (probably my MBP), as I do development work, and need to support users on Sierra, I can't just tell them not to upgrade! of course, I have another Mac, so I can use that for the Virus, but Id prefer it to be working on MBP too.

also, for some new users they wont have a choice... if you buy a new Mac, it will come with Sierra pre-installed, to asking people to uninstall that and install El Capitan is painful...
    (and actually I'm not even sure if Apple will still keep El Capitan available, its usually removed from the apple store)

also bare in mind, Apple have a nasty habit for there other software products, of putting minimum requirements of the latest OS.
    don't be surprised if we see a new version of Logic Pro , MainStage, Final Cut Pro, that will require Sierra, which will mean some users will 'need' to upgrade

Please can someone advise me if it is possible to still use the Virus as a soundcard and use the inputs for the moog and microbrute at the same time or will i need to look at purchasing another soundcard?

you can use the inputs, they appear as sound card inputs on your Mac.
    nothing lost, in trying it out and seeing if its suitable for your needs ... you can then buy an audio interface if you find its not.

Hi,
    Ive got a 'weird issue', thats been going on a while, regardless of firmware. (Im on 5.1.3)

sometimes when I turn on the Virus (TI Keyboard mk1) , I will get a black rectangle in the middle of the screen , bit wider than the welcome message, and about 3/4 the height,
    and it stays there, even if I put it into standby and take it out again.. and even if I do a reset with the ARP EDIT key.

BUT... if I take the power out, wait a few seconds, then plug it in, and start with the ARP EDIT, the display is fine!

as I say its been going on like this for a while, its seems to be more likely to happen if I remove power before putting the TI into standby.
    my usual operation is TI into standby, turn off power at source), happens probably once or twice a month.

its not a big deal, just means i need to reset occasionally (thats about the only inconvenience, since I lose a few settings) , and the problem then goes away, and the TI and display behave perfectly.

just seems a bit odd... any thoughts? the battery has never been changed is this possibly the cause? (any details on replacing it?)

Thanks
    Mark

ok, so I think the the answer is :

the Virus TI only has impedance balanced outputs...
    (see http://www.soundonsound.com/so…articles/qanda-1013-4.htm for an explanation)

this seems a bit of a surprise for "high end" equipment... you would hope it would use an active balanced output, but perhaps Access will explain why this is not necessary? (in fairness, few synths provide balanced outputs)

I guess this still leaves a question , but I fear the answer... if you present an active balanced input, does the Virus make use of it, or is it also limited to impedance balance.

yeah, indeed the internet archive shows the TI 1 :

Zitat

Inside, a new Dual-DSP core delivers stellar performance with super-low latency. TI also employs studio-grade converters with 192 Khz/24-bit D/A. These are paired with +4 dB balanced inputs and outputs and a switchable ‹‹soft limiting›› algorithm, and accompanied by S/PDIF digital stereo output and input as well. The onboard USB port is compatible with USB 2 specifications and works with USB and Hi-Speed USB devices and peripherals. For easy access to all these new jacks, the entire I/O panel of the TI desktop model can be rotated 90 degrees so the interface is on the rear panel. The 4U Rack mounting kit is also included with the desktop model.

hmm, so the TI mk1 is supposed to have balanced outputs...

Aj
    if you plug your headphones into the LEFT output only, do you hear something in both sides? ... I'm pretty sure you should if its balanced... but only on one side if its unbalanced.

@Marc ... am I missing something? is there a fault on my TI?

Hi,

So Ive got a TI 1 keyboard... and my understanding was that it has balanced output...
    but despite using TRS cables, the output does not appear to be be balanced.

as a test I did the following :

a) connect Out 1 L to a splitter cable
    b) connect the L and R of the splitter cable to different channels on my mixer
    c) play a note.

what I expect is to see a signal on both channel on the mixer...
    obviously inversions... such that
    if I sum both channels I would get silence
    if I play either channel I should hear sound

BUT what I find, is I'm only getting a signal on one channel...
    i.e. this is an unbalanced signal

I've tried all 6 outputs out , and they are all the same

Ive tried the same test with my audio interface (which supports balanced outputs) and the mixer and it works as expected...

so was I incorrect... does the TI mk 1 not have balanced outputs, or only the TI 2?
    or is there some way I need to 'activate' it.... (which would seem odd)...
    has anyone else got this working correctly?

thanks for your help/insight

Mark

Is it one multi patch or all of them?

if its all of them, include factory once - Are you playing from Virus keyboard?
    if so check that you have set to play on one channel, not multi.

the other obvious thing to check, is what midi channel each part is playing on.
    also you can try disabling each part (in the multi menu)
    (remember to check ALL 16 parts, you only need one of them to be 'active' so hear it)

try booting the Virus into USB firmware mode before starting installer.
    to do this:
    - unplug virus power
    - hold EXIT
    - whilst holding exit, plug in power

then run the installer.

I always do this, when I upgrading, as I find it more reliable than the installer putting the Virus into firmware update mode.
    though, I will admit, usually its not a matter of the installer finding it, it generally throws an error.

I assume its working generally, i.e. its not a USB setup, its just the installation...
    (if you have not had it working at all, then usual things... try different USB ports, try using a USB hub, or direct etc)

if your updating an install, I tend to also uninstall previous version before I upgrade.

and of course, if in doubt email Access support... they will walk through problems with you.

5.1.3.0 installed and looking good so far, no midi server crashes, and working well :)
    whats more looking in the system logs, it looks like the driver is spitting out more diagnostic msgs which is a good thing too...

@Marc, so I had the disappearing midi device, when I turned on the Ableton Push
    (exact sequence below)
    Interestingly, it spat out the following error at the same time, perhaps something for the devs to go on (as previously there was no error/log msg when it disappeared)
    10/6/15 18:54:11,000 kernel[0]: USBF: 358.244 IOUSBCompositeDriver::ConfigureDevice Could not open device (Virus TI)

my sequence for producing this:
    - power iMac up
    - turn on virus with USB plugged in
    - (I then tested the USB midi was working, and it was fine)
    - turn on ableton push *. (whilst I had console open, to see if I could see any messages)
    bang.. above message, and Virus Synth Midi device disappears.

* this seems to happen with pretty much any USB device, and only appears to happen if:
    a) its a new device i.e. in the above case, if I restart the virus, I can then switch the Push on and off, and the Virus wont disappear.. only if its the first time since a reboot its seen the device.
    OR
    b) the mac has just woken from sleep

as previously stated, not big issue, since I try to remember to power the Virus up last after all other usb devices, just a pain if half way thru a session I decide to use a USB pedal (or similar) that I don't often use.. as when I restart the Virus, Ableton (other daws don't) insists on given the Virus a new midi name e.g. Virus Synth #2, which means I need to go thru all relevant tracks and change the input/output routings!

5.1.3.0, cool will wait for that.

TIME - is a measure of time spent 'on' the cpu by that process (which most would call 'load') , its not frequency of calls.. sure if you make frequent calls (or request frequent callbacks) then this will increase as a result of time spent in functions (particularly noticeable for expensive funcs like kernel calls) and context switching. but regardless, by making such calls you are increasing the amount of cpu time the MIDIServer is using (even if its not directly in your driver code).

thats no reflection, on it being necessary* ... if its a workaround thats fair enough... but that was never explained on the previous thread, perhaps more transparency about the underlying 'problem' and the workaround would allows users understand/appreciate the necessity. Ive usually found my users are pretty sympathetic when you explain things to them (and conversely are frustrated when you don't)

* it was simply stated, that the cpu time was high, and that this did not appear to be case on either your machine or mine, so looked 'different'

'let not make something a problem just because we want to believe that it is one.' is nonsense, answers/solutions yes.. problems no.

excellent news about 5.1.2.0 I will install it on my iMac and MPB and check to see if the issue is resolved.

agreed, the other issues should be discussed on the appropriate existing theads :

Disappearing Virus : mac osx - virus midi device disappears
    Summary: this has been going on for a long time in various version at least every 5.x.x version Ive tried!)

MidiServer CPU usage: OS X Midiserver CPU usage
    Summary: I don't get this issue - but from this thread it looks highly likely its caused by excessive active sensing midi messages, possibly Snow specific?
    @Marc whist what you say is true, the Time is a good indication of actual load, and this was also high... as I pointed in the thread usbd* also looked 'higher than normal', again an indication the active sensing is an issue... of course the question is why so much active sensing... this could be caused by the Virus see issues on usb traffic... the only way to know is to ask the developer to check the code!

(* yes I'm very well aware usbd is used by other drivers too... so it can only be an indication, but sometimes we have to look for other 'supporting evidence')

Sadly both of the issues were reported a very long time ago, and neither were resolved, so of course they keep cropping up on other threads... they people believe are related, its a pity the issues are not being followed through to a conclusion which would result in less frustration.

anyway, thanks again for looking in the MidiServer issue, (Id be interested to know the cause/fix, id your willing to be open about this.. out of idle curiosity), I look forward to testing this later today :)

Mark

@ChrisCabbage ... are you sure, on the MBP when you installed 5.1.1.0, you didn't at any point, do an uninstall first?
    (I ask, Access support (understandably) seem to always tell you to uninstall/install if you report any issue)

anyway, I can't really speculate on this on how some 5.1.1.0 don't have the issue, as I have never seen a 5.1.1.0 install that doesn't exhibit the issue, so can't investigate this, but Access can as have said there 5.1.1.0 installs don't have midi server errors... hence why I asked for binary sizes, etc. ... and Ive not the time to start doing test installs of old version on new versions etc... besides, I have to leave some work for Access to do ;)

btw: you can see what I mean about the incorrect versioning, the getinfo... which is what you see in Finder, is showing 1.8.0.0, but notice how the crash report details 1.7.0.0

Code
    PlugIn Identifier:       de.access-music.virusti.driver.midi
    PlugIn Version:          1.7.0.0 (1.7.0.0)

@ChrisCabbage , @willbanks - If you want , I can send you a copy of the 5.1.0.0 midi driver, which you can use to replace the 5.1.1.0, and then you can see if these MIDI server crashes disappear.
    send me a PM if you want to do this, as I don't want to upset Access by appearing to be distributing modified installs.
    ( you can always reset your install, replacing with the driver currently there, or by doing an uninstall and then a reinstall)

again, to be clear... Im not saying this fixes all issues, I can only vouch for the issues I have encountered, and re-tested with the old driver.

@ChrisCabbage , I expect so ... as I said both 5.0.8 and 5.1.0 are both fine to use, so if its working ... its likely to be the case.

@willbanks looks like the issue, but can you just confirm the next lines include , the following (or similar) , as this is an important bit.

Code
    Application Specific Information:
    *** CFRelease() called with NULL ***
    Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0   com.apple.CoreFoundation          0x00007fff87e77010 CFRelease + 912

as I mentioned in the original post, Ive seen this in a few different cases.. some Ive not listed, its just the first 2, I knew were reproducible and so hoped would help Access isolate the issue.