Beiträge von thetechnobear

Does TI distribute DSP load of odd parts to one DSP and of even parts to the second one irrespectively of the mode of work (with Virus Control or standalone)?
    If yes then could there be separate AUXes for odd and even parts? Though, this could be a bit awkward..

the odd/even split is the 'first stage' of allocation, but the TI can shift voices to the other DSP when load becomes high, so you cannot rely on a single part going to a particular DSP... so complicates implementation.

i think if it was done (and it wont be), you'd have to move it onto one dsp, which implies a delay of one sample buffer*... its all possible, basically its the same process as is used when using a (most) DAWs which uses separate threads for each track and sends, but its not trivial.
    * of course if you route external out to in, you also get this delay.

the other possibility, would be for the TI to expose the DSP allocation, and allow the user to lock parts to a particular DSP, and then insist a FX part can only be fed by parts locked to the same DSP. Sure, its an advanced mode, as auto-allocation generally is better BUT if you know what you want perhaps this is something you'd be prepared to sacrifice. (its not that complicated... kind of similar to how on a Spectralis/Elektron A4 you can do explicit OSC allocation)

anyway, not going to happen, and my suspicion is if there ever is a TI3, it will have more DSPs (four?), so hopefully the DSP allocation would be reviewed then to allow for a little more control for advanced use.

interesting @bctracks, not played with a C , so not seen the aux buses...

>>Using an input part reserves one voice for each channel (ie 2 is it's a stereo input) *all the time*, so you can eat up voices pretty quick with the routing.

? don't get you on that, is this on the C ?
    on the TI with external input, there is no "voice" (excluding atomiser/envelope follower/vocoder fun)... the input patch is just using dsp resources, to process a stereo audio stream.
    ... the same as if it was doing it for a single part... the only overhead would be the additional ADC DAC (due to going in/out the analogue ports)

with a mixer, you decide on the mixer how much wet/dry and feedback you want to happen, so thats a not an issue, (as you use say out1/2 as dry, and out 3/4 as wet)
    and of course you can mix in with other effects units, which is why I like it..
    BUT it sounds like you could have multiple fx buses on the C? in which case, yes this is a limitation, as we only have one stereo input to play with, so you can mix things in a different points in the chain.

I do agree unlikely to happen though, and as you say the 'per part' is also not something I would want to loose, generally its easier to use,

but would be nice if on a part rather than select OUT1/2,OUT3/4 we could select PART1-16, and then PART16 has this as input, as if it came from the external jacks.BUT as you say it probably is quite hard to implement, as its possible the TI only can do this with one input (stereo) channel.
    anyway, as you say .. not going to happen anyway ;)

in this case we found Total Integration and a voice count which more than doubled from the Virus C to Virus TI good reasons to omitting AUX sends.
    marc

... but in this case aux sends would actually help increase voice count...no? since having an fx (e.g. reverb) on 16 separate channels is much less efficient than having a single fx that N channels use.
    ( I think sometimes, this is a contributor for some getting low poly count, as they put multi fx on multiple channels, it really eats up dsp resources fast :))
    the drawback of using external loops, is you loose a virus output (or a pair if using stereo sends), and if you want to also have other (stereo) external input, you need a mixer.

that said, I quite like using this approach with a mixer anyway, as it provides more flexibility to either route to other fx units, or to mix other inputs into the virus.
    it just a bit more 'hassle' to setup.

it works fine for me, TI (keyboard 5.1.0), if i turn off or put in standby, when I come back it appears to still be set to the correct outputs.

I don't think you will be able to 'save it' as it just the state of the seq buffer, rather than the individual preset....

I've always assumed seq mode is basically single mode, and the 'sequencer' would be responsible for saving any non-patch specific state, fine when used as a VST,
    but not much use if your not, hence I use multi mode.

if you want to save it, then you can use multi-mode, which Im kind of surprised you aren't anyway... is there a reason for you using seq-mode rather than multi-mode?

analog boost? its set to about 32% on init patch, so will boost low frequencies.

I find the --init-- patch has a couple of settings I find a bit 'odd' to be a default, analog boost(@32% and punch (@ 50%) in particular, i find odd for what should be blank slate,
    Ive now got my own init patch, which doesn't include these, and a few other oddities that are in the init patch.

Hi,

Is there a way for the Virus TI (5.1.0) to transmit program/bank change messages when you change presets?

I see that when you change preset you see to get the following sysex message

Code
    22:58:53.663    From Virus TI Synth    SysEx        Access $B bytes    F0 00 20 33 01 10 73 40 10 01 F7

But this sysex is not listed in any sysex/cc data sheet I have for the TI.

Thats odd... on TI (keyboard), I get no active sense messages at all.
    (over USB, both with VC running and not running ... and I'm very familiar with Midi monitor, so I know I'm getting all midi messages,unfiltered)

perhaps this is a TI Snow issue?

thanks

I downloaded the demo...and had partial success.
    the first time, it crashed my TI ... don't know why, as once I rebooted the TI, the second time I used it, it was fine...
    (I did already put it in TI mode)

a few notes...
    a) I get huge latency, if I use controls on the TI.
    b) it only seems to work in Seq Mode, Id like to be able to use with single and multi mode.
    c) you don't get access to the patches stored on your TI by default (it appears you can download individual patches), but not browse/download entire bank?
    d) you cannot edit the ARP
    e) I'm confused about the Delay/Reverb section - is it combined?
    f) why the midi input section? (is it using the VST
    g) no automation (I don't need/want it, but others may be surprised?)
    h) only a few banks available... perhaps I can create my own with full version, this would de nice for (c)

(A) is a huge issue for me, as normally i use the TI front panel, and just want to use the VST for odd things which I don't use often, and are hidden in the menus... or cannot be done (e.g. edit arp)
    but this really is not possible, as having the VST open is causing latency on control input.
    Interestingly, you don't get the lag, if using the VST ... so I think what is going on, is some kind of midi loop... i.e. edit on the TI, sends midi to VST which is then sending midi back to TI.... this should not happen, and mdii originating from TI should not be sent back.

excluding (A) the other things are not big issues, and I guess may come in a future update, and even without, I would like enjoy using.
    In particular i do really like the 'mixer', this makes managing the multi alot easier than doing it on the front panel.

so please resolve (A), and Im sure I will be buying :)

theres a couple of ways, but the following is easy

a) use multi mode
    b) then for each part, specify a key range that doesnt overlap
    c) then for each part, specify a different output

of course, you can of transpose the patch, to compensate for using high/low key range.

if your using a DAW, then (b) could instead be done in the DAW, and by sending different key ranges to different midi channels, again transposing if required.
    (this is perhaps easier, but the first approach makes it possible to use without a daw)

]
    Yeah, sadly the Virus doesn't appear to clock properly to SPDIF input, making it impossible to integrate this into a digital studio running off a central clock, without clicks and pops occurring.

Do you by any chance also get the "Clock problem at SPDIF Input" message when trying to config the audio clock?

Yes, I think if i insert the spdif in cable after I've turned the virus on (tbh, i can't remember exact situation)
    I did try to troubleshoot this with Access, but they just blamed the audio interface, cables and then finally my TI. when I highlighted that multiple threads on the forum, showed others had the same issues with different Tis and different audio interfaces. they still insisted it was TI hardware issue and I should send my unit to germany for repair.
    Realistically, every one that posts here, seems to have problem with the spdif clock, so there was no way I was going to go to the expense of shipping and repair, and risk of transport damage and be weeks without my TI, only to have my TI shipped back with the repair shop to say they cannot find any issue!
    (after which i still very much doubt Access would acknowledge the problem, they would just blame my audio interface… Id then buy another one, same issue, and so the saga would continue.)
    At that point I gave up with spdif on the virus… figuring it doesn't work properly and it never will.

p.s. Sorry, Marc, if this comes across as negative, i truly respect the work the support team does, and clearly you help a lot of people with issues, which are due to their setups. I also think Access really has done a great job at supporting products that were released many years ago.
    but the whole spdif saga is really irksome, it truly feels like the devs have no interest into really digging into these issues, doing some proper testing… and find it easier to just say its a user issue, or hardware issue, or its the other audio interface - or any other excuse, which means they do not have to test it.
    (perhaps its part of ploytec code, so outside direct access control?)

I don't think they will do this, since they use the midi out/in for a different purpose once it connected via USB.
    when you connect the Virus TI, via USB the TI becomes a midi 'hub' for the computer.
    i.e. you can now connect midi devices to TI IN/OUT and control them via the computer using Virus Midi over USB.

Its quite a nice solution, but as you say would be kind of nice if it was 'optional', as it obviously means that the midi ports are now completely detached from the synth engine.

as for your example, I also run VEP, what I would do, is just use networking midi via the same ethernet network between the two computers, you go:
    Virus USB midi (Synth) (PC A) -> ethernet -> Seq (PC B)
    given both USB and ethernet are orders of magnitude faster than midi din, this will still be higher performance than using a midi cable.

or of course with VEP, you could run a local instance on the computer with sequencer, just for VC and then run your other VST instances on a remote instance.
    (the VC plugin doesnt use much computer resources, since its essentially just sending midi message over the usb cable)

I didn't mean to be 'short', and i did given some ideas given the extremely limited info you gave. but seriously, if you want help you have to put a bit of effort in...
    its not about being in a rush or not, its just without more info, others cannot help you... so a case of 'less haste more speed'

(even the few words you did write, included " I get this annoying clicking sound. no CPU spikes or Ram is 30% " and then come back and say "I fixed the clicking issue after installing a new CPU. CPU spikes caused the audio to click" )

but hey, if thats how you feel fine... Im glad you got it working