Beiträge von MrMowgli

I fixed the problem by switching over to bitwig studio on linux, since the mac support seems to be worse than anything else. I suspect part of my problem is the 44.1khz mavericks issue. I was running at 48khz before, since I only saw the note as an aside for another forum post. Regardless, I'm currently happy (Though without TI integration) :)

I recently picked up a Mac Mini, running Maverick 10.9.5, and it immediately updated my Virus TI2 Polar to TI OS 5.0.8.00.

The audio was immediately picked up in the Audio and Midi utility, however it won't let me change the sample rate, and the Midi driver was completely missing. I rebooted several times and fixed permissions for the drive, and tried different positions on the USB 3 connectors. There are no USB 2 connectors. Eventually hitting refresh after a reboot caused the Midi device to show (With both midi and synth ports), however when I 'Test Setup' I get nothing. In my DAW's (Reaper and Bitwig Studio) it shows the ports, however I get no input when pressing any of the keys on the Polar. I DO get some visible knob twiddling in Bitwig when I have the generic controller panel up for the TI, however mapping controllers does nothing, and no key presses are detected, even when input is set to Everything or just the TI Synth or TI Midi.

It's totally possible I missed something somewhere, but I don't see what I could have missed, I've been using Reaper for a while, and I'l admit I don't really understand what the workflow is supposed to be like for Total Control, but I would assume I could use the keyboard to record.

I would love to use granular synthesis on the inputs (Or for that matter internal busses?) Allowing you break apart the input and repitch it or stretch it, or modify the size of the grains, distance of the grains, volume of the grains. Probably sampled from the moment when you actually press a key.

Thanks!

:D

Yes it's true their USB implementation is older, but this is an artifact from their use of a third party USB component. This was obvious from their problem getting up to speed with the latest OSX drivers.

I seem to remember it being from these guys?
    http://www.ploytec.com/

They now have a USB 2.0 version however.

Sonicly though I can't imagine needing much more than what I have, of course I haven't spent much time on it. There is too much goodness for me to handle all at once at the moment! :)

I would love to be able to use the custom arp to trigger external gear as assignable controller messages. In other words, let's say I am using the virus TI as a control surface for another synth in ableton, and I link the virus to control a parameter that takes midi controller 57 for example. Now I would use the arp info to trigger values from 1 - 127 for controller 57.

Example 2 would be to use it to control other gear, for instance my Roland TR-8 accepts controller information for things like drum Pitch, so I would set my controller number for the arp in the matrix and have it generate the controller values on midi out to my drum machine. Voila, a talking drum :)

Just a thought, but a great way to add some life to my other gear (which is nowhere near as awesome as my TI2)

MrMowgli

Well obviously putting everything into a Multi takes care of this really, the multi can hold all your Favs. That being said, I really would like to see a favorites assignable from the keyboard, say hold down shift transpose down to recall a patch by pressing on a key, shift transpose up to assign the current patch to a key. I have a Polar, so this might make more sense for TI's with keyboards.

Well the only thing I can tell you for sure is that it's based on the DSP of the TI. If you have a stack of things on at once and each eats up a pile of DSP, you will end up dropping notes. I definitely ran into this. Some easy fixes are listed in the quick start, such as making sure your amp decays are short enough, reducing super saw detune, getting rid of OSC 3 if you don't need it etc. I've found that a lot of the presets are unnecessarily heavy, with a pile of mod matrix maps set that don't really affect the sound, so you can rip those out. Another possibility is that the actual midi note isn't coming across in time, and never get's played. I can't imagine that happens often, but I could see it on a slow machine with USB 1 ports...

I don't know what your setup is, but if you are on windows you can use something like midi-ox to filter out your traffic. http://www.midiox.com/

That way you can specify what messages get through. You might need to dig in a bit but it is quite powerful. No idea whether it works on Windows 8 or Windows 7 however. You can use in tandem with Midi Yolk to create a filtered stream.

I'm sure that your daw can also let you filter out some messages (Depending on the daw), so you might want to see what's offered there.

Good luck!

I've had issues with Chrome and a lot of software. Basically CHrome gobbles up over a Gb of memory on it's own, which YES makes the pages load quickly and render nicely but NO I don't need a missing GB of memory. I wouldn't be surprised if the issues you have are related to disk swap while the OS pages out chrome's memory for the DAW.

I understand why they don't have USB3 yet, I looked into the spec and it's pretty hardcore, and there's another version emerging which is even crazier. The actual communication isn't that bad, but the transfer rates are much harder to test and analyze, not to mention get a certification for. My understanding is that they are still operating on USB 1.0 though, so the bigger question is why isn't the Virus using 2.0 at least? All my computers have very limited support for USB 2, they are all USB 3. USB 1 devices have a hard time on the USB 3 ports, so it's a little crazy thinking what will happen when there are no more USB 2/1 ports on any of the computers. I've had mixed results with a lot of devices using USB 3. In the meantime, I just run everything via outboard gear. The keyboard IS well laid out, and everything except the custom ARP's is there and recordable via midi.

I also suspect that they use third party audio and midi converters (They mention it on the Mavericks thread) and it's probable that it's the third party that dictates the actual abilities of the USB.