Beiträge von TagPass

what do i need to do to run into the problems you line out? can you post some more details on your setup? like for instance which sequencer you're using, which mac os etc? also, does the problem persist when you playback the tutorial song?
    marc

I've been working with Jörg Hüttner via email troubleshooting over the last few weeks. He has been great, by the way -- very timely and thorough responses -- and some of the solutions he gave me seemed to get things straight, but alas, only temporarily.

I have tried the Virus with 2 computers: Late 2013 iMac and Mid-2012 Macbook Pro. Both machines were tested with the Virus as the ONLY USB device attached. OSX Yosemite on both, TIOS 5.1.0. Tried Logic Pro X and Ableton Live 9 on both machines. Behavior is the same across the board:

- If I use the Virus controlled via MIDI DIN, with no USB cable attached, all is well.
    - If I connect a USB cable and launch Virus Control, I will experience one or more of the following issues, and can only return the Virus to a useable state by rebooting it:

1) notes are delayed or hang, and the Virus only generates sound on MIDI Channel 1.
    2) I can play 3 or 4 notes "normally", then there is a loud crackling/static noise and the Virus falls silent.
    3) Virus makes no sound at all on any channel.
    4) Virus responds normally, but only on channels 1,3,5,7,9,11,13, and 15.
    5) Virus makes a constant horrible digital squelching sound at maximum. Its not MIDI, it's digital noise.

The same behavior happens when used as an AU in Logic and as an AU or VST in Live. Sometimes, exiting Virus Control allows me to continue to play the Virus normally as a "Single" sound, but other times, the silence or suppression of even-numbered channels continues until I shut down and restart the hardware.

I bought the Kanex adapter as a way to isolate the Virus to its own high-bandwidth USB root hub, since Macs share the root hub with things like the built-in camera, thinking my issues were the result of congestion on the USB bus. But I get the same behavior on every USB port, hub, and device I've tried.

As far as the tutorial song goes? I was able to play it exactly once in Logic X and hear it as "normal". I was so excited thinking that I managed to get it working, but when I tried to reopen and play it back a second time, silence. I think I got it to launch again a couple of times after that, but only some instruments sounded (odd channels!) and everything was out of time. It never loaded or played back properly from Live. It never worked on the Macbook, iMac only.

I am now at the point where I am debating keeping the Virus and simply doing without any software functionality or sending it back since I'm still within the return window.

definitely let us know how you get on. thanks
    I'm in a similar positions, with quite a few usb devices that I use for music production

btw, did you get a KTU10 (w / eSata) or KTU20 (w/ethernet) ?

I am using the KTU10 (eSata) one. However...

After my initial success yesterday, I am finding that I am again experiencing the same issues with Virus Control that I have been experiencing since day one, even with the Virus on its own dedicated root hub. Namely, I either get stuck notes, no sound, or audio only on the odd MIDI channels when I use the Virus TI features. Without Virus Control launched, everything works great, and Access tech support has been very responsive to helping me troubleshoot the TI stuff. It simply will not work for me, though. I have tried every combination I can come up with of cabling, connections, rebooting, restarting, disk permissions, and now $75 for the Kanex. I'm starting to think that either the software itself is broken or my Desktop itself is defective.

Just bought myself the Kanex TB to USB adapter. It's working perfectly so far - no conflicts, sync issues or bad noises which I was getting before, even with no other kit plugged into USB. I have an RME interface running on the built in USB which can now be used simultaneously. Will update over the next few days if I experience any issues.

After a couple of weeks struggling to get my new TI2 Desktop up and running reliably with my Late 2013 iMac, I also did the same thing and ordered the Kanex Thunderbolt adapter. I'm happy to also confirm that -- at least in my initial tests -- everything is working as I imagined it should have from the start. Neither my iMac nor my Macbook Pro had the throughput to handle the TI2, even if it was the only device on the USB Root.

I will do likewise and report back if I run into any issues in "real-world" testing, but for now, it looks like the Kanex might be a viable solution for many of the USB issues on the Mac, especially if, like me, you must run a lot of other USB peripherals in conjunction with the Virus!