Beiträge von root2

Hi there.

Have you tried the MIDI files that come with the operating system package?

You can find it under: Downloads => Discontinued Products => Operating Systems => Virus Rack Classic OS 2.1 Build 071 English

The ZIP file contains a folder "Goodies" with the following content:
    - PDF: Patch List
    - PDF: Addendum
    - Folder: "Factory soundset"

In the "Factory soundset" folder you find the factory patches for banks A and B as well as the multis.

Should be worth a try

Best regards.

Hi there.

Have you tried the "ABM.MID" file that comes with the operating system package?

You can find it under: Downloads => Discontinued Products => Operating Systems => Virus C Series OS6.5 English
    The ZIP file contains a folder "Goodies" with the "ABM.MID" that holds all preset sounds as stated in the readme file:
    "ABM.mid readme
    ABM.mid contains the factory settings of bank A, B and the multi bank. Installing this file will result in loosing all user presets.
    Copyright 2001 Access Music Eletronics"

Should be worth a try :)

Best regards.

changes made by encoders are always relative changes to the current value. the "end" position is the maximum or minimum in which case the encoders will not push the value any further. i don't have a Virus Rack XL in the office anymore, so i cannot really verify details. at the same time, if you put the encoders into relative mode, it should works as expected.

Thanks for the reply, Marc.

If all changes on the encoders are made relatively I'm surprised there are audible jumps when touching some parameters for the first time after loading a patch.
    I really want to set the encoders into "RELATIVE" mode but I can just set them to either "ON" or "OFF" in the "Knob Mode" settings.

Hello there.

Since yesterday it seems to me that my Virus Rack XL has "developed" some behavior it didn't have before:
    I usually shutdown the Virus using the "Power" button and unplug the power-cord when I finished using it for the day.
    Since yesterday, when I connect the power-cord with the socket-outlet the Virus starts up (without me pressing the "Power" button) and after startup it shuts itself down again. I can then start it up like usually using the "Power" button and play as usual (with all the settings still as I left it - I think).

What could be the cause of this behavior or is this quite normal? I don't think I can remember that the Virus automatically switches itself on and off when I connect the power-cord to the socket-outlet...
    Thanks for any clues on this.

Best regards.

Thanks for the fast reply, Marc.

In which mode do the encoders work then? Theoretically it should be able to let them work in "RELATIVE" mode all the time without the limitation of reaching any end positions.

On the other side I often hear values changing rapidly or with audible jumps when moving a knob - although the knobs seem to function normally when sweeping through parameters once the "jump" has occured. Is this normal?

Best regards.

Hi folks,

I recently updated my Rack XL to OS 6.5 (Virus_rackXL_OS650x79_DE) and everything went fine regarding the update process - beside the fact that, when booting, the display shows some other numbers than the operating system release says but I hope this doesn't matter as long as it's version 6.5 that is running.

But as I tried to change the "knob mode" in the global settings it seems as if I could not set them to several parameters as I wanted. I was able to set them to either "ON", or "OFF" but not to the other modes like "JUMP", "SNAP", "ISNAP" or "RELATIVE". Have I missed something while updating or is this normal for a Rack XL?

Thanks for any clarification on this.

Best regards.

I wish I could change your arpeggiator as you suggest, but now it is impossible to do :( it could give us some inspiration and see how you proceed for your creation. :/

I'm sorry but I think I don't fully understand your post.
    You can change the arp pattern on a Virus TI2 as they are user programmable per patch.
    Should be easy to do: Connect it via USB and go to the "ARP" page of the VirusControl software. The manual can be found in the download section on the virus page.

No Problem, you're welcome.

I don't work with FL anymore but I think in the past it worked like this (using my Virus C and a USB2MIDI Port)...

Preparation FL:
    MIDI Preparation (as described here: https://www.image-line.com/sup…html/envsettings_midi.htm and here: https://www.image-line.com/sup…elp/html/menu_options.htm
    - Enable MIDI Output with the options menu
    - Go to the system settings and select your USB MIDI Interface of the Virus in the "Output" field
    - Select a "Port" (e. g. 1)
    - Set the Virus to Multi Single Mode

Within FL:
    - Insert a "MIDI Out" plugin into an empty track
    - Set the plugin to: Channel: 1 / Bank coarse: 1 / Bank fine: either 0 or leave it blank (just try with the bank settings a bit) / Port: The same port # you chose in the systems settings / Patch: set the patch # you want the Virus to play
    - Draw some MIDI notes using the piano roll and start the track. The MIDI should be sent to the Virus to generate the sounds.

For Ableton I just use a MIDI Track, and set my MIDI for Multi Mode according to this tutorial here: https://www.ableton.com/de/art…ternal-synthesizers-live/

Good luck.

Does anyone know how to set up multimode (playing multiple sound at the same time) on FL Studio?

I think you could try using FLs "MIDI Out" Plugin and set its parameters to match your Virus.
    Take a look at the help file here: https://www.image-line.com/support/FLHelp/html/plugins/MIDI Out.htm
    As you haven't written which Virus you use I'd make a guess and say it's best to set it to Multi Single Mode so you can send an individual MIDI pattern to each of the 16 parts by using different settings for MIDI channels and maybe bank/patch to set up the sounds on the Virus.

Good luck.

I'm just wanting to get a shout out to all "infected" people.

After spending some years on collecting a little "sound-park" I recently just got a second-hand Virus Rack XL for a decent price. With this latest addition to my existing hardware collection (Novation X-Station, Korg X5D, Roland JV-1010, Roland XV-2020 and Yamaha S30) I call it "done" :)

Usually I just use my gear for playing around and relaxing after a hard days work has been finished. Stumbling through soundscapes just makes me happy and if - every now and then - a track gets finished the way I want it to be I'm also glad.

So let's hook it up and keep on doing what we all want to do: Make music and feel happy.

Best regards
    root2