Beiträge von batman

IMHO you should hear:
    - a phaser: quite large with a moving cross frequency (maybe a very large delay+lots of feedback chorus)
    - a compressor: to keep the level ok
    - a glitcher with a band pass: you can do these effects with a beat repeat combined with a bandpass filter.
    - an tape saturator: there are odd and even harmonics beyond the filter. It is probably done during the mixing phase.
    - maybe a fuzz dist, but I'm not quite sure about it.

The main difficulty in doing this is that you will have to work in audio realm for this, because the phaser is perfectly sync with the beat repeat (or strutter, or glitcher or atomizer or whatever you call it).

I got exactly the same issue. I'm in touch with the support.
    It is weird that an issue like this can occur. Imac 27 are pretty de facto standard, and my setup is nothing fancy.

I'm not talking about an automatic patch converter. I'm talking about doing it by hand, by matching the values on the other synth. Numerous synths give their attack in millisecond, so you match the number with you virus...

Zitat

No way you can automatically translate patches that send DIFFERENT sysex messages and CC#, and they would anyway sound different even if programmed the very same numerical way.

I can understand that use case #1.1 isn't relevant for everybody. I do use softsynths when I'm traveling, sometimes I later expand the patch in the studio with a synth like the virus.
    It may also provide a useful help when you try to follow a tutorial not dedicated to the virus itself.

#1.2 is really about comparing the differences. I think you also notice that there is no way the synths will sound the same and that's what is interesting ;).

Sheah you found a good expression to defend the feature : "0-127 aren't musical values."

Thanks for your comments.

Hello everyone,

While I was sound designing this afternoon, I found that the virus can add little information to the virus control to generally improve the usage of the whole synth.

As the virus is a VA synth with lots of knobs and parameters, I do find the comfort of operations quite important for such a product.

1 Improve global display by using common metrics in sound design
    1.1 - adds a display of every envelope timing in ms/s,
    1.2 - adds a display of every volume settings in dB
    1.3 - adds a display the frequency values in Hz/Pitch.

Usage of these features
    #1.1 : translate patches between synths
    One can find tons of resources about sound design, often made for other synths than the virus. I want to translate the preset designed for another synth to the virus. I can quickly copy the most obvious parameters like enveloppes and filter freq.

#1.2 : compare synths
    I want to compare the sound of the virus against another synth I got. I can on basic patch align the two synths to compare them and use them at best.

#1.3 : tweak faster by general sound design knowledge
    I'm designing a percussive sound, like a kick. I know by experience that the decay should be around 500 ms and the release around 1.5 seconds. I set an exact value. I can then set the values I'm looking for without having to actually play a note.

#1.4 : tweak faster by targeting faster the soft spots
    I know the reverb is around two times too long. I can quick go around the supposed "soft spot" of the reverb decay. It avoids me to play a note, listen, blindy adjust up or down and so on and so forth.

Post in the feature request section please.
    I don't see what would be the use of a compressor, as it is really like a mixdown process to control the overall volume.

Thanks for your answer.

I play one note at a time on each part. Everything is quantized in a way that notes of a single part aren't overlapping.
    I will try to use a simple patch like a saw and one filter, no effect, no release on the amp env and a note at a time to see how many patches can I run.

I do feel a drop in the performance since I changed the OS. Maybe this is not linked and/or untrue but my older projects run with pops now.
    As we don't have any dsp load indicator, I can't compare on any measurable basis.

Regards,

I got the same issue with
    - the analog out,
    - classic midi in (no usb)
    - sequencer mode and
    - 3 relatively simple patches loaded (dryad 80s, AT mini HS and VelFMBasBC from the factory library).
    - the rest of the voices are the -INIT- patch and don't receive note on midi info.

One is fine, two is somehow okay, but 3 is unbearable and unusable (random pops every 5 seconds or so).

It seems that any patch with analog filters or reverbs on is causing heavy dsp load on the virus.
    The idea to lower the dsp usage seems to deactivate the equalizers, the reverbs and switch back the patch to classic digital filters (which is a shame). And dump to audio whenever it is possible... a pity for a total integrated solution.