Beiträge von ozon

Please provide a bit more information about the version of TIOS that was on your Virus, the version you upgraded to, and the version of computer OS you're using.

PS: What hardware test mode?

Still growlin'. But there's a couple of great sound sets available to get you started in the right direction. However, I found this threat just a couple of months ago and it helped me tremendously to learn the growling basics. Also worth to check out the other threads where Chewie shares his wisdom.

OK, now I know what you are talking about: The notes are not played properly in time.

But the real problem is it : even without TI (no usb, just midi cables) I still have latency when playing my Virus.

Do you have any other hardware synths which you could use to check whether the problem is related to your soundcard or FL Studio? Do you have another DAW to check whether it doesn't happen there?

I just recorded it, to give you an example : http://picosong.com/vxPN/

Are the notes directly from your DAW or the Virus Arpeggiator?

Here is how simple chord sounds with only Virus linked with midi :http://picosong.com/vx6L/

So we can hear that there is clearly a sync issue... :(

Sounds fine to me... but I don't know what to listen for.
    Maybe your problem with the chords is related to this thread:

Unison strumming why??? Help please!!! (edit: previously thought to be Hypersaw)

Did you do a comparison check with the other modes?

Yes, I did compare them. These mode all work differently, and once you understand what they do, it becomes more clear why they don't sound identical in the neutral setting. Thus, I highly recommend reading the chapter about the Grain Table Synthesis from the Addendum. Here's an excerpt:

BTW, two tricks I tried and which seem to work quite well:

1. Using a Random glide (S&G) LFO with a rate between 90 and 120 on the wave select index of a wavetable oscillator yields a result which sounds a bit like a grain cloud. (ex. sound "PD Air 18")

2. Using a classic wave LFO with a medium high rate on the wave select index of a wavetable oscillator yields a much rougher sound... as if the wave catched a cold :D (ex. sound "PD Air 19")

Every now and then, I fear we still have only scratched the surface of what sounds the Virus can achieve.

Would be interesting to know what the ingredients of the sound are. I heard a couple more examples on Youtube and it did sound a bit different in every one.

Anyway, I did some more experimenting and came up with 4 more presets. Didn't try to copy the sound exactly but instead to capture the vibe of those typical airy, glassy pad sounds. Especially 17 and 18 scream "D50 / Wavestation", IMO. :D

Enjoy.

It's pretty hard to do without hearing the sound all by itself played as a single note.

Just for fun, and a little exercise in sound design, I did a couple of pads that are somewhat in that direction. However, I wasn't able to achieve the same "hollowness" and "breath". Mostly it's a detuned Hypersaw with Sub (Hypersquare) plus a wavetable with a bell like sound, some noise and lots of reverb.

Maybe these presets can get you started in the right direction.

Have fun, and let me know how it works out.

Edit: New version of presets.

PS: Listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvyPiUEabvw# (which I should have done before I started...) would indicate that the pure Afterthought sound is actually only a bell and should be rather well to achieve using one of the the "Sundial" wave tables.

Most probably you only need to change the Mono Mode from 3 or 4 to 1 or 2.

Check the manual under Oscillators > Common > Key Mode. There's a table explaining the differences of the four mono modes.

I currently work with a Desktop and a Darkstar (Polar) and can affirm that they are identical except for the keyboard, pitch wheel, controller wheel and the configuration menus for those elements.

Actually, I prepare Multis on the Darkstar and then transfer them to the Desktop. All the settings for parts (channel, key zones, etc) are available on both machines.

However, I had the Desktop first and heavily missed the capability to use it without anything else hooked up. Thus, I'd rather have a keyboard version if I only could have one.

If you want to record the sound of your Virus by playing it live, then you don't need any extra cables.
    If you want your sequencer (or any other controller) to trigger notes on your Virus, you need MIDI cables from your sequencer/controller to your Virus.
    If you want your DAW to play notes on your Virus, you should also be able to use a USB cable to send MIDI notes to your Virus.