Beiträge von ozon

Tried it yesterday evening: Worked like a charm using the 1% mod source!

When doing sound design with VC, it's actually pretty convenient to have one Matrix slot with detune sliders for all thre OSCs. And on the hardware a soft knob can be assigend.

I just had this idea: Use the fixed 1% or 10% source in the Mod Matrix and modulate any OSC pitch with that. Works positive and negative.

Anyway, would be nice to have more detuning options for the oscillators out of the box. :)

If I heard that correctly, you are using a reverb with long tail which is rather CPU intensive. Additional you're doing lots of modulations of various parameters of the effects, including Reverb, which also use up CPU power.

Remember that pretty much every digital synthesizer does not really have "voices" but everything is calculated on a specialized CPU (DSP). The power of that CPU is expressed in how many "voices" it can calculate at the same time. Now, every signal processing task beside plain oscillator also uses up CPU cycles and therefore the synth can run out of "voices" (aka CPU power) without even using a single oscillator.

Maybe you should consider using your Indigo as a regular synth and getting a TI2 or dedicated effects unit for your extensive effect needs.

20k euros for his 20th anniversary synth. An expensive Sledge as an excuse to blow dough for those who can.

Definitely underwhealming. Except for the design.

I'd rather blow out 4k for a TI3 with quad CPU for a 1000 voices capacity, 4 indipendent oscillators, comb filter, feedback loop, filter FM, (phase) FM for each oscialltor, 256 user wavetables, polyphonic step sequencer and massively upgraded connectivity (firewire, ethernet, USB3).

Or does it depend on what type of sounds i play at the same time, like depending on the release and decay?

Yes, naturally it does! If you have a released note ringing on and play another note, there are two voices playing at the same time. With long release times, you can pretty easily use all 12 voices by just playing four chords within the release time.

On my TI2 factory set, the first RAM patch is 0 HyprNoch BC, one of the 21 exclusive RAM patches that are actually not found in the ROM banks. However, there is a similar -but not quite exactly the same- patch, ROM A 48 HyprNtch BC.
    3-Dumm HS is located at ROM A 0, to be exact.

Ok, that's interesting. I dug around and found the following:

• In the Virtual Control plugin, the Factory Content for the TI1 and TI2 does not contain the original RAM banks, only the ROM banks
    • If you do a complete reset and restore of the Virus via Virus Control Center, the RAM banks contain duplicates of the ROM banks
    • There's no backup or restore for the special content mentioned by you

I did some more digging through my backups and library archives, and was able to restore those 4 special RAM banks (I think!). Please find them attached for reference.

By mistake overwrote the first Patch of the RAM... I want to restore it back to original and can't figure out how... HMMM

Don't Panic! :D

It's the patch named "3-Dumm HS", from one of the ROM banks A, B, C or D.

If you already installed Virus Control and can use the VC plugin, it's quite easy to restore that patch. In VC you will find copies of all the factory banks, RAM and ROM. Load the Factory Presets TI2 RAM A bank in the lower bank area. Load your Virus RAM A bank in the upper bank area. Drag and drop the first patch from the lowe area to the first patch slot in the upper area.

(If you have no clue what I'm talking about, I kindly suggest to read the documentation.)

the notes have different length on intention, if that's what you mean. but really, don't expect the arpeggiator to MIDI function to be super accurate.

Marc, I'm not talking about the intentional differences of note length within the pattern, but about variations when the pattern is triggered several times. As already mentioned, the note starts aren't accurate either. Not a problem for me, because IMO the Arp is a performance tool to be used within the synth -- from a DAW I rather have control over all the notes as individual events.

If you're interest to have some examples of the inaccuracies, I can produce and upload some MIDI sequences.

we've implemented it so people who want to experiment with the patters can "import" them and mess around.

That's cool. If I find the time, I'll put together a visual representation of all the factory patterns I recorded.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell whether the original postions in the factory patterns are quantized or whether they have some intentional "groove". There are some patterns where the sub-divisions seem to not fully match the selected quantization step (e.g. I think pattern 40 which has some accelerando and decelerando feeling).

To use the Arp output to trigger VSTs is probably a major PITA. Out of curiousity I recorded all the factory Arp patterns in Cubase: The patch producing the Arp notes was also triggered by a note from another track in Cubase.

Result: The timing of the recorded arp notes was all over the place! IMO, unusable to layer another synth especially with percussive sounds.

Ok, I had some fun doing a couple of tests.
    In order to get MIDI notes from the ARP you have to change this setting:

CONFIG > MIDI 2/2 > Arp Note Send > On

Then the Virus will send out MIDI notes from the ARP. However, it will only do that if the Arp Mode is not "Arp > Matrix". Also, it will not send out the transposition created by the Matrix, because that is actually an OSC transposition as mentioned above.

Moreover, it seems that the MIDI notes send from the ARP are not very accurate with rather varying lengths at constant Note Length setting.

If we're talking about the same synth hook (to hear from 2:34 in the video), then I think it's hard to do because it's made with two different synth sounds. Aside from that, check through the 60 factory patterns or create a user pattern to get the rythm, then you should be able to play the notes with that rhythmic pattern. As for programming the whole sequence as one user pattern including note changes, I think it's too long.

neuron: cool. Gotta check that out...

Back on topic: I'm currently considering purchasing a TI2 Polar for my home studio. But I'd definitely prefer a TI3 if it was available... even if that meant I'd have to upgrade my other rig as well ;)