Beiträge von ozon

Im talking about the edit menu then go to render in place. Doing it this way causes an issue when the VC is pointing to the analog 1+2 outs. Remember to make it work you need to render out the VC midi channel you are attempting to render and NOT the External instrument (analog out) otherwise it definitely won't work with external instrument this way as you have found that out.

If I do a render in place for the VC Midi track, I get an empty audio region.

Regarding your issue here,it seems to me you may have a configuration problem as i export and audio mix down my external gear with no hiccups and no issues of timing you are explaining here, this has been the way since Cubase 5 and now on 9.

Don't know. I ran into the timing issues only when using ARP/SEQ or looped envelopers on the Sub37. With any other use, it wouldn't be obvious at all. We're talking abut 1ms shifts here, which only get obvious if you have a real mono-synth that cuts notes off if a displaced Note On/Note Off sequence interferes with the internal clock.

Anyway, I do have little problems with the VC. Except after a while of working, where VC starts to seriously lag when playing live and and the note lengths from played sequences get shortened. Which seems to be a latency correction mis-calculation, most probably introduced by Cubase.

The reason for analog outs is simple 24 bit>16 bit. There are definitely differences here, some may claim otherwise but there have been numerous posts and audio examples all around the web showing that the analog audio outs or the spdif outs are 24-bit audio while the usb audio is 16 bit. This causes less aliasing as the resolution is higher and the sound somewhat more "rounded" or "smooth" some might say.

Aliasing has to do with the sample frequency regardless of bit depth. If played over the same DACs, I very much doubt you'd hear any difference between a 16Bit and a 24Bit recording, except for the extreme low volume parts (< -60dB). Which you generally don't hear in a mix anyway.

But, I'm sure that there's a difference if you compare the audio of the Virus outs with the audio of the VC rendered over other DACs. My guess would be that the Virus has rather good DACs and probably excellent analogue low pass filters after the DAC to get rid of high frequency artifacts and thus acheive a "round smooth" sound even at stage volume. A trick that was used by E-mu for their samplers with 38kHz sampling rate.

What audio interface are you using? could this be part of your problem? how have your connected your synths to it?

Audio interface NI Komplete 6. Virus over USB. Sub37 MIDI over USB, Audio back in over interface OR VC (doesn't matter which way). USB 3.0 MTT Hub.

Everything else is in the box.

Thanks for the description and pics. What I did to test your described problem is more or less identical. However...

Yeah the offline bouncing feature does work only from the VC channel you have selected, but it's not in sync because the audio path is routed to the analog outs.

Frankly, I have no idea which function you are referring to with "offline bouncing". Do you mean "Freeze" (track? instrument?) or do you mean "Render Audio" (with what settings?)?

There's no way I can use either the "Freeze" or "Render Audio" when I have set up a part (e.g. Part 2) to use the analogue Out 1&2 returning via an External Instrument.
    I was not able to replicate your problem, simply because I can't even get to the point where audio from the Virus coming back through an External Instrument can be rendered. However, I did a lot of experiments, and found out that Cubase obviously has a couple of weird timing problems with the whole render audio function, not only when using it with VC, but also when I did it for my Moog Sub37 hooked up as External Instrument. When using synced LFOs and ENVs or the ARP or SEQ, some notes just get swallowed. Sometimes it's fine, most of the time not. And the exact same phrase can be fine at one place in the song, but not in another. But after a restart of Cubase, it can be fine in both places or nowhere.

(btw, using Cubase 9, checked back with Cubase 8.5, same problem)

For now, I would say that most of the timing problems with VC (or External Instruments) are not because of VC but because of Cubase.

its recommended to use the "Audio mix down" option if you want to avoid any hassle and timing/sync issues. The way to do that is to solo the analog out and the midi channel with the midi information you want to render then go to "file" "export" "audio mix down" and tick the external instrument out (analog output) to render the audio and not the VC midi channel. This should work flawlessly and in sync.

Wow. This is a lot of work. I rather stick with using VC the way it's intended.

I did a couple of experiments and you can nicely render only parts of a track instead of the complete track or only the outs. So before finishing a song, I can render all the synth parts to audio (with maximum output level) and then do the mix of all the synth tracks in Cubase without any loss of Bit depth.

Welcome back :)

What do you mean by "black Desktop"? Mine is sort of dark grey. I know there was a White Edition, but was there also a Black Edition?

@TotalOutegration: I'd still install the Software and use MainStage 3 as host for the VC AU Plugin to do sound design that way. The VC plugin is really a great help to manage sound libraries and develop new sounds.

Lsixtysix: Can you please give a more detailed description of your setup? I tried different things now for about 2 hours, but I was not able to "bounce" the tracks when using the Virus analogue Outs coming back to a Cubase External Instrument. I could hear the audio but would get empty audio files, which is sort of logical because Cubase doesn't know that the audio for the midi regions sent to VC are coming back through a different return.

So how exactly have you set up VC, how did you set up your external instrument that acts as returns for the Virus analogue Outs, what's the target for your MIDI tracks. Maybe some pics would help as well.

Daksha: I was able to record audio when coming back into a plain audio track as suggested, but with that setup the timing was all over the place and totally unusable!

Did you try the Patch ROM-B 125 ">>INPUT<<"? I just have to select that and get immediate signal from the inputs to the headphone. Be careful, might be LOUD. You may need to adjust sensitivity of the inputs in the CONFIG > Inputs 1/2 > Sensitivity to have enough signal but not distort.

If that works, you can go on to try the Vocoder. Two things to consider here: With the OSC modes you need to press a note, and you need to open the filter a bit at least. Otherwise, no sound at all.

I'm no expert at this, and just tried the Vocoder for the first time. But it should get you started.

What you are doing sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

You cannot "bounce offline" with external instruments. That's probably the main problem. Cubase tries to compensate for VC or other plugins running at the same time. Also, check the delay settings for your external instrument. Probably best to deactivate or remove the VC plugin for the bounce.

AFAIR, you can use the analog outputs together with VC if you like. Just set the outputs for every part. I've never done that (didn't need to, and my converters are not good enough to sound better when doing two conversions), so I have no idea how timing is handled then.

In Cubase you can do some sort of solo track plus freeze track trickery to get what you want. Did it once when I tried to wrap my head around all the TI stuff but forgot how it was done exactly. However, you're on Logic and it woudln't apply anyway. But the general concept might work - AFAIR, there's a freeze option in Logic as well.

Virus Control (plugin) and Virus Control Center (application) are two different applications for different purposes.

There were several topics related to these questions. You'll proably find a good answer in my post history.

that's a misunderstanding. there is an old set of ROM patches and a new set. both, the TI and the face lifted version internally called TI2 can use the old and the updated version of the ROM patches. virus control center seems to install the old revision, that's all. both, the old and new banks are available from within Virus Control (and also Virus Control Center).

Then maybe there's a misunderstanding in addition to the bug. The end result is confusing anyway: After a VCC Restore Factory Seetingts, the hardware has the v1 set of ROM patches, while VC shows (and loads) the v2 set of ROM patches. You should try it once. It's fun ;)

Google for VST Host.
    There should be freeware applications that allow you to just run VSTs without the overhead of a full blown sequencer.

You could probably send a whole bank as SysEx using a MIDI SysEx tool?

The original RAM banks are installed with Virus Control somewhere on your system. However, using a VST host would be the easiest way to manage your RAM banks.