Beiträge von ozon

Pan Settings are all fine.
    @oliAtBass Nah, it's directly routed into my Soundcard and there's no panning going on in there, neither in my DAW.
    Is there an Option in Virus itself to Pan the individual Channels?

Ok. One more check: If you hook up any other synth/instrument/audio source to the inputs of the soundcard where you currently have the Virus, are the levels as they should?
    Regarding panning of individual outputs, I don't know since I don't have Virus C. Does the C support surround sound? If so, maybe the Front/Back balance is not where it should be?

Also, does random source just mean the way a S&H wave plays randomly?

Yes.

AFAIK, Sample & Hold in general takes an input signal, periodically (at LFO frequency) measures (samples) this input signal and outputs the measured level for the whole period. If you feed the S&H a periodic signal, the output will be somewhat predictable and periodic as well. If you feed a random signal, like noise, the output will be a series of random levels.

OK. My memory was less good than I thought.

Preset Name
    Bank Song
    YouWish HS ROM C 110 Wish you were here lead
    Phloid HS ROM C 074 Echoes Piano
    MarkOne HS ROM C 058 Sheep Piano

You find a great collection of "well-know" sounds for covers in the "Classic Live Patches for Virus TI" bank which can be downloaded.

BTW, Rick Wright often played Grand Piano, E-Pianos, Clavinets and Organs (not necessarily a Hammond) and Mellotron with a little bit of effects processing. So those basic sounds may be a good starting point.

Which PF songs do you want to play?

There are a couple of PF sound emulations in the ROM banks. They are named accordingly. Search for "floyd" and words from song titles, like "were".

IMHO there hasn't happened anything new in the domain of digital synths since 2009 in general. The Virus TI and the Blofeld are still the top hardware synths.

And on the workstation side of things, we're still limited to a couple of GB sampling memory while computers run off SSDs with TBs of space. The best offering is a 60GB SSD on the Kronos, all other hardware (synths, workstations, beatboxes, sample toys) are good if they offer 128MB (Kurzweil) or a whopping 2GB SD card (Akai) as storage. And don't get me started on the topic of hardware samplers... technologically the whole music industry is stuck in the late 90's to early 2000's. And most of the new products are ridiculous unprofessional gadgets.

I for one prefer Access to keep producing a single dated model of a professional top synth instead of replacing that with ten useless dumbed down but dead cheap toys.

However, I'd also love to see a TI3 with 10x the CPU power and a couple of features from competitors (Comb filter, step sequencer). :)

Regarding Initial Phase: Play around with the two OSC with identical settings and change the Init Phase value. I think it will become immediately obvious. Now if you think about doing the same with 8 voices you'll probably also come to the conclusion that two start different sets of initial phases might never produce the same spectrum regardless of how long you wait. Naturally, my logic may be flawed...

However, by now I'd really like to hear/see an example of the OPs "problem", because I don't have the means to do exact spectrum analysis, and I'd really like to know whether I simply don't hear the difference.

The Virus Control Center application and the Virus Control plugin do different things. Both are installed by the Access Virus TI Software installer which can be downloaded from the Access website.

Generally speaking:
    - The VCC application is used to maintain your Virus, like making backups of the complete synth, burning preset banks to ROM and updating the firmware
    - The VC Plugin is an Editor and Librarian for the Virus TI and is used from within your DAW to integrate the Virus hardware synth as if it was a AU/VST plugin synth. VC is also great to create or tweak presets and to manage preset banks.

For further information, please consult the documentation which is also available online.