Beiträge von ozon

If connected to USB, the Virus TI turns into a MIDI (and Audio) interface and has to be used like that: In order to control devices hooked up to the MIDI Out port on the Virus, you have to route MIDI events to that port from within your software (e.g. Logic, Cubase, Ableton Live). I don't remember how it's called exactly, but the Virus provides two MIDI ports over USB: One is called "Synth" (to control the Virus) and the other I think "Midi" (which represents the MIDI Out port on the hardware).

So in order the play your other hardware from your Virus keyboard, you must route the Virus Synth In to the Virus Midi Out from your software.

You bought a great hardware synth, didn't you? And it still works as that, doesn't it?

Maybe it's wrong to use a DAW with extremely limited plugin support and than start bothering other manufactureres not supporting it. Maybe you should ask the Pro Tools developers to support VST.

I'm not an expert in FM (I'm still trying to really understand the difference between FM and pitch modulation:p) but it sounds like D5, i.e. the note where chaos is initiating, is sort of a cutoff point for FM to act much more fast...i'm not even sure if this this audio result is "correct" or if this is a software bug.

Thanks for checking. It just happened again yesterday while experimenting with a very simple FM sound. No Reverb involved. Naturally, FM will have undesirable results if too close at the sample rate. But there's clearly notes which are fine under some condition, and start to "telephone" under others. And yes, it's clearly connected to FM, that's the precondition.

IMO, since it happens at random, depending on circumstances, depending on settings of other (unrelated) sections of the synth it must be bug.

CC11 is designed to control the volume in a similar fashion to CC07. read the MIDI specs, alternative this one here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/insy…n-midi-volume-expression/

I looked for the MIDI specs, and even registered at midi.org to gain full access. Unfortunately, I did not find any mention on how to interpret "Expression"... which makes sense, because musical expression is very different on different instruments. On classical instruments it's mostly acheived with crescendos, which on most instruments do not only change the volume but also the timbre. Thus, on a synth, it would be more logical to have CC11 control any parameters (e.g. filter cutoff, fx) instead of have it hard wired to the volume.

Thus, I'd prefer if it was possible to decouple CC11 from the volume control of a patch.

I am still perplexed as to why CC#11 is being interpreted as CC#7 but who cares as it works for me!

I don't know who thought that would be a great idea, but Access are not the only ones... the Apple Logic and MainStage also interpret CC11 as volume control, and even send that out by default! Which is rather annoying if you have a VST (e.g. Absynth) on a channel that uses CC11 to modulate the sound.

But much more important: Is the OSC Pitch also hardwired to CC11 or did you do that in the modulation matrix?

Also, don't overlook the Virus TI Addendum that was installed by the VC installer. It contains some important information that is newer than the TI Reference.

And yes, I agree, the documentation could be more streamlined and more complete.

what are you talking about? it doesn't disable the MIDI port, it turns the TI into an extra MIDI interface. we assume that when you connect your Virus to a computer you want to send MIDI _from_ the computer. that's of course still possible. and please don't use a power supply on the USB port. you'll damage the Virus.

I think jamesfarrell was talking about the Akai Advance.

Which brings me back to what I've already mentioned elsewhere: jamesfarrell, IMHO you have added way too much new (phantastic and complex!) gear in a very short time. And on top of learning the basics of synthesis, MIDI and VSTs, you need to learn to operate each piece before you can have them working together in the way you want. There's no easy way out. And nothing will "just work out of the box" the way you expect it to.

But we're here to help ;)

Oh, I was actually asking about the pedal.

Using MIDI by itself is going to introduce latency by the nature of it. It is a serial protocol at a rather slow speed.

A MIDI merger will not introduce more latency than daisy chaining MIDI devices by using IN and OUT. Naturally the quality of the device does matter.

Sounds great, would take me 5 years to figure that out. I'm 46 and I got into this stuff way way too late. Everybody else is an expert, because they've been doing this since 1988. I'm beyond frustrated. I have no friends that are into this stuff and I'm on my own. I'm trying to set this up in logic. I'm watching videos that are 10 years old on youtube that are blurry as hell, in another language with no talking.

I'm 49. Started with Maschine 3 years ago. Added the Sub37 in February and the Virus TI in May. I spendseveral months just figuring out the Virus before I ever tried to use VC with a DAW!

However, I did some MIDI stuff back in the day, using Notator on the Atari ST. Must have been around '86.

Guys, here's the deal. What I'm trying to do is not overly complicated. If I should get rid of my maschine studio, let me know. I am simply making drum tracks in maschine, have it loaded in Logic X, and I'm using the Virus for synth sounds.

So you have VC running inside Maschine running inside Logic? If this is the case, then the following is the answer:

you should use Virus Control in Logic. That way you're working with a supported hosts and you'll get more than one channel.

There's no need to run VC inside Maschine if you have Maschine running in Logic!
    Have them running side by side. Both are Multi-Timbral instruments.

I ended up ditching the maschine in the end.

There's way too much Maschine bashing in this thread for me. Maschine is a great product, but it's not a DAW! As already said, it's a very elaborate groove box, running on your computer, with a hardware controller attached. And therefore, it offers a workflow and can do things that DAWs generally can't do! Keep doing your beats in Maschine. Keep writing your synth lines and recording all your other stuff in Logic. Whether you have Maschine running within Logic, or prefer to work with it in standalone mode doesn't matter. That's what I ended up with. The cool thing with that approach is, that for a future live performance it's pretty easy to just use Maschine in standalone for the beats and manually play the synth parts (using the Virus Arpeggiator with User Patterns and the Sub37 Step Sequencer) -- that rocks pretty hard.

Can you post an audio clip? I think it sounds fine here...

Edit 1: there's chaos here at D5+...it sounds like a really fast telephone

That's exactly what I mean! I had that happen mostly on F4, F#4 and G4 (I think, not 100% sure about the correct octave description, but on the Darkstar in the middle octave without transposition)

PS: For me it happens mostly when playing those notes in a line with other notes.

You bought two phantastic hardware synths, which are made to work like instruments normally do: You play them and record the performance. And they both work great that way if paired with a classic DAW like Logic or Cubase. The Virus TI even offers 16 part multi timbrality and total integration in your DAW... but it doen'st turn your hardware into a VST plugin of which you can use as many instances as you want. However, as I already wrote on the Moog forum: Maschine is a world of its own and has a very different workflow than any other DAWs. It's a groove box "in the box" and mainly made to work with samples and VST plugins.

I think the basic concept with using multi timbral VSTs in Maschine would be to load the VST in one slot (e.g. group A sound 1) and the route all the other "sounds" to the first one but on different MIDI channels.

Maybe it helps to search for "using Maschine with Kontakt" because Kontakt is by NI and multi timbral. I guess someone would have made a tutorial for that.