Beiträge von ozon

Looks all good, and it seems to work for you. Congratulations!

Your assumptions are correct except for the purpose of the Group Track: Cubase does not allow to route audio freely from track to track (but you can abuse sends - which provides its own challenges), at leadt not in the sense that any track could be used as input to another. So you have to send the input tracks of the Virus Control plugin to a Group Track, which then can be used as input to an Audio Track to be recorded. AFAIK that’s a limitation of Cubase which doesn’t exist in other DAWs.

Regarding the „lanes“, they are layers for takes within a track. Only the selected one is being played back. Mostly used when recording several takes of the same section (e.g. a solo), to later pick the best take or even edit a perfect performance from several takes. Can be highly addictive and lead to spending more time editing than recording.

Render in Place is a function that allows to select parts on a MIDI track and get them directly rendered onto a new audio track, without the need of routing and doing a recording in real time. If applied to an Instrument track with a VST synth plugin, a whole track can be converted to an audio track in a fraction of time necessary to record that track, depending on the processing power of the host computer. However, there are a couple of drawbacks when applying Render in Place to MIDI tracks belonging to a Rack Instrument and/or to VST/Instruments that represent actual hardware such as the Virus. The more obvious one is that the rendering takes place in real time. The less obvious ones are related to MIDI and audio signal routing and how parts are selected. I had situations where I spent the larger part of an hour trying to understand why Render in Place refused to work. Another caveat is that Render in Place starts and ends the audio recording right at the part boundaries. But the Virus needs at least one bar of preroll to get in sync with the tempo, so the parts need to be extended by one or two bars before their actual start. And you have to set up a proper tail length to record after the end of the part. All of that can be learned and becomes routine, but it would probably lead to brain overload right now.

HTH

Hapoy Virus recording!

One instance of Virus Control connects to one Virus synth hardware. I have never tried that, but I would expect that you have to add another instance of the Virus Control plugin in the Cubase Rack and then there must be some way to distinguish/select the hardware to which it should correspond.

For recording the Virus (if you don't want to stress the Render in Place function of Cubase) you need to set up an additional Group Track as follows:

- Virus TI Out 1 send output to Group Track ("Virus Recorder")

- Group Track ("Virus Recorder") send output to main

- Audio Track set input to "Virus Recorder"

Just trying to give the world something back...

Cubase should be able to handle as many Virus as you have. What do you mean by seeing only one Virus, the MIDI connections for both are already showing in your screenshots. But AFAIK, you need a dedicated Virus Control instance for each.

Tip: Maybe try to master this setup with just one Virus first. And then add another level of complexity. Your initial goal of transferring sounds from the Darkstar to the Keyboard should be possible with just connecting one at a time.

Ok, you are a bit further than I though. My initial intent was only to provide you the Virus Editor and Librarian you already have by using the Access Virus Control plugin from any VST host (in your case: Cubase 8.5).

Now we're looking at a full studio setup ^^

If you are working within Cubase and are using the Virus Control plugin to control your Virus synths, then you don't need audio connections since the Virus TI means that the sound is transferred digitally via USB into Cubase and can there be recorded right from the Plugin into an audio track. However, there are different ways to achieve this, and some prefer to just use the VC plugin as editor and use the conventional MIDI and audio to work within Cubase (or other DAW).

Regarding your questions:

- MIDI Ports for the Virus: Synth is the synth itself, MIDI are the DIN MIDI ports at the backside of the synths

- The MIDI outputs are also inactive in my setup (don't know what that means, never thought about it)

- I think the Virus MIDI ports are actually irrelevant when working with the VC plugin which seems to establish a direct connection to the Virus

Here are the videos on YouTube:

Setup Cubase project for Virus TI:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

Remove unnecessary Virus TI plugins from Cubase:

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

BTW, I did literally nothing else than installing the software on a fresh OS and what you see in the video. No other setups were required.

Ok, ok, I slowly get the picture. So you're really just using the MPC live, not the MPC2 desktop application at all.

In the mean time, I set up my old MacBook Pro with 10.14.6 Mojave. That has been quite the journey... Apple makes it really not easy to install a deprected macOS on a deprecated machine. After about an hour of digging around on the support pages, I found out that I already had made a bootable stick to install Mojave or Catalina about two years ago. Totally forgotten about that. That made it easier all of a sudden and about 30 Minutes later, my MBP was running on Mojave.

Just finished installing the Virus Software. Also had totally forgotten that the installer requires the Virus to be hooked up to the computer, and that it forces a Virus OS update. Which takes ages. Like another 30 Minutes. And the progress bar didn't move one pixel all that time, so I was a bit worried I had just bricked my Darkstar.

Now all I'm missing is a Cubase installation. Gotta dig around to find that one. Haha.

Ok, even found the 8.5 installer on my NAS! Only problem I had was with the eLicenser that was installed, because it didn't work anymore. Downloading and installing the most current one worked.

Hi Rob,

I learned all this by reading all the provided manuals, online resources and watching YT videos. And a lot of trial & error. I guess that's just me being stubborn on getting technology to do what I want :D

Anyway, I'd appreciate if we could stick to just one thread. And no, I'm not the official support guy, just some dude who loves his Virus to bits.

I just checked: MPC2 allows to use VST and AU plugins.

Unfortunately I can neither test this nor walk you through a MPC2 or Cubase setup, because I'm not on macOS 10.14 Mojave anymore and therefore had to uninstall the Access Virus software. Maybe I can get it running on my old MacBook Pro.

Edit:

I completely erased my old MacBook Pro after moving the the Mac mini. It's currently on macOS 10.15. It would be a couple of hours of work to reinstall 10.14 and get all relevant music software up and running. Sorry, but I can't do that.

If you are using the internal Arp of the preset, you could also map the value for each step to the Pan via theMod Matrix.

…couldn’t find it, unfortunately. But there’s a lot tutorials on all aspects of the Virus TI.

Anyway, before hopping into bed, a short guide:

- open Cubase

- create new Project

- create Instrument track and insert the Access Virus Control plugin

- plugin will load and connect to the Virus (but I don’t know how it selects to which device if several are available)

- set input of Instrument track to Virus synth

- activate MIDI input for the track (small button with speaker icon)

You should now be able to play notes on the TI keyboard which are routed through the VC plugin back to the Virus, and you should be able to hear the sound of the TI through the Cubase master channel.

All OTTOMH sitting on the sofa not in front of my Mac…

PS: the proper way to do it, would be not to use an Instrument track but to add the Virus Control plugin to the Rack and add MIDI tracks which are routed to that Rack instrument.

**Fixed**

Weirdly plugging into the USB 2 port on the front of the mac now detects the TI2.

Clearly there are Hardware differences between the TI2 and the Darkstar.

Using the USB3 port which works with the DS doesn't work with the TI2 KB...

Ok, this is an interesting observation I’ve never read before. I know that the TI‘s are picky about the USB ports and dislike to be connected via hubs - which is difficult since often there’s already an internal hub.

If you have self-powered USB 3 hub with MTT, it should work for both synths.

Cubase didn’t change too much over the years, but 8.5 is a bit dated indeed. There probably haven’t been a lot of tutorial videos around back when it was released.

However, before we try to dive into that, what version of the MPC software are you running on macOS? Maybe Cubase is not necessary.