Beiträge von charonme

if the stereo signal you routed to the 1 input gets routed back to the other channel...they dont jump through air

correct, the only thing the left input ring is connected is the normalizing/switch pin of the right input socket. The right input ring is not connected to anything

In balanced that sleeve goes thru the "impedance balancing" to ground <- that is the circuitry you mentioned, which cancels the noise

that would be a resistor between the ground and the ring on an output socket (my virus uses 470ohm resistors for this), but that's not the circuitry that cancels the noise. That circuitry would have to be connected to the inputs and it would have to subtract the ring input signal from the tip input signal usually using an opamp.

Stereo is a different thing completely

this is what I was pointing to. The left virus input is a stereo input rather than a balanced mono input

and how about when the ring is not connected to anything?

also what about stereo inputs? their rings are not connected to ground, but surely they can't be considered balanced, or can they?

There is no need for that old school tip - ring - ground differential (where you have opposite polarity of the signal in the ring and tip) in order the signal to be "balanced" and (ground)noise canceled.

Perhaps not, but the subtraction is still needed in the input circuitry for the noise to get cancelled

how did you expect the one input to "process" the stereo signal?

I expect a balanced mono input to subtract the ring signal from the tip signal to create the resulting mono signal. Instead the tip is treated as the left channel of a stereo signal and the ring as the right channel. If I'm wrong here, how then should an unbalanced input differ from a balanced one?

if you present an active balanced input, does the Virus make use of it, or is it also limited to impedance balance.

I just tried it and my TI2 desktop doesn't process the input as a balanced signal at all. The inputs on my TI2 are not actually balanced. Furthermore when a stereo signal is plugged into the left TI input the right channel from the stereo signal appears on the right TI input which would be impossible if the TI input was balanced

Virus TI only has impedance balanced outputs...

this seems a bit of a surprise for "high end" equipment... you would hope it would use an active balanced output, but perhaps Access will explain why this is not necessary? (in fairness, few synths provide balanced outputs)

this is interesting because the CS42516 codec chip (the Virus uses for DACs) outputs active differential signals, but then the six differential output pairs are subtracted with NE5532 opamps and the resulting (unbalanced) signal is sent to the output jacks. There are even solder pads prepared for three additional dual opamps on the other side of the PCB, so I guess it would have been possible to make it output differential balanced signals

I guess this still leaves a question , but I fear the answer... if you present an active balanced input, does the Virus make use of it, or is it also limited to impedance balance.

I would expect a balanced input to just subtract the + and - signals so it shouldn't matter how are they balanced. The CS42516 does have two balanced analog inputs on chip (4 pins for two mono inputs). However I wasn't able to find any input (un)balancing on the PCBs. I couldn't even find what are the jack rings connected to. However I found that plugging a stereo cable into one of the inputs reroutes the ring signal to the second input

When using a S&H poly LFO mod source or the RANDOM mod source to control filter cutoff each of the poly voices keep their own filter cutoff setting. Is something like this achievable if I want to send the value to virus from a sequencer together with each note?
    For example I'd send D#4 + value 64 for cutoff using some special CC (not the usual CC40 for cutoff) and then G#4 + value 127 for cutoff and the intended result would be D#4 playing with cutoff=64 and G#4 with cutoff=127

I can no longer reproduce this. It might have disappeared when I repeatedly reinstalled the OS and even did a factory reset in between the reinstalls. And yesterday I also downgraded to 5.1.1 and so far I haven't experienced any crash or other bugs except notes sometimes not playing on time when I heavily tax the DSPs and polyphony is exhausted

can you post a recording of the demosong and indicate where you think the sounds are missing?

with very complex sounds and unison=8 I believe it might possible to exhaust the TI1 polyphony with just a couple of notes

also note from VTI2 addendum 45201:

Zitat

Patch Complexity Indicator

The playmode page on the Virus TI hardware contains a new icon which informs you about the complexity of the current patch. The complexity is an indicator of the polyphony at your disposal whilst playing this particular patch. The icon, which looks similar to the battery status icon on your mobile phone, shows between one and five bars where one bar stands for a rather “cheap” sound and five for a pretty “expensive” one.

and the Virust TI Quickstart:

Zitat

Level 5

Patches using e.g. the Grain or Formant oscillators, several mod routings, lots of effects and the Analog 1-4 pole filter can achieve between about 20 – 28 voices.

they are remembered as the video shows, they are just not applied when I start the virus already in multi mode. When I reload the stored multi program the settings are then applied. I'm just curious whether this is an OS bug or it's just my defective unit acting up

have you tried "Chan Pressure"?

wait that's probably not polyphonic?

[edit] OK I see it now, the manual says:

Zitat

Polypressure

Also called Polyphonic Aftertouch or Key Pressure. Independant MIDI data relative to the pressure applied to keys on a keyboard. Rarely implemented because pressing on several keys at once can result in too much MIDI data for a system to handle. In the Virus, this data format is used for a purpose not intended by the original MIDI specifications – as a supplement or alternative to System Exclusive (Sysex) data. See also Channel Pressure

currently when envelope 3 is assigned to modulate per-part effects like the "FreqShifter Freq" it has no effect and the explanation was in 2011 that env3 is per-voice, but effects are per-part. However LFOs even when in poly mode are able to modulate FreqShifter Freq. But even if making it possible in poly mode would be so difficult, could it be made possible at least in mono mode please?

could someone please try to reproduce this on their TI2?

in multi mode set the part panning to +63 (shift+edit = "multi edit"), save the multi program, check whether the panning works (eg. by triggering a note from that part) and then unplug (turn off) the virus. Plug it back (turn it on) again, trigger a note from that part and listen whether the panning is applied or the sound is centered

Sometimes when the TI2 is started the first note triggers a hellish noise. The unit was reset just a few days ago.

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

After startup the virus ti2 in multi mode doesn't apply the part volume +63 and part panning to right +63 (if the audio was panned to right +63 it wouldn't be audible because only the left channel is recorded). Each setting is only applied after the knob is wiggled

Externer Inhalt youtu.be
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

BTW I performed a reset of the unit just a couple of days ago