Beiträge von earsmack

Nice update, fellas!

I installed it and am running a Max Patch with the vst~ object and some other stuff that allows me to run the editor on the computer and route external MIDI (from a Machinedrum in my case) into my Snow. It actually works quite well and the new features really sound great. Good work - I look forward to the non-public-beta version of 4.0!

BUGS - None of these are new..they've been around for quite awhile and I've reported them in the past....

1) There is still that stupid "Arpeggiator Swing Factor" bug when you turn the third soft knob (in Tutorial 5 patch for example) where the third param is Delay in that case. How hard that can be to fix? The param that it is changing is incorrect and no value is displayed in the "modal" "window" that pops up while turning the knob.

2) The MOD page EDIT MODULAT...LFO 3 x/3 is whacked out in the title area. The T on MODULAT and the L in LFO run all up into one another and cause a new letter to be formed, half bold, half plain text. LFO2 and LFO1 work fine.

That's it for now...thanks for all the hard work!

Interesting - but what happens when controls are at extremes?

Good question.

If the (software) value is at 0 and the (hardware) knob position is at 127 (max) then obviously it can not be increased without first moving the hardware knob to something less than 127. In that case the value does not change while the knob is moving counter-clockwise but as soon as the knob begins moving clockwise the value scales as appropriate. So...if you moved the knob to 64 in the aforementioned scenario as soon as you started moving the knob clockwise again the value would start to increment - scaled appropriately - towards the current value. When the knob got to 127 the value would have caught up and the knob is then again in sync.

In my experience this is the best mechanism to handle a pot-style knob (with limits) without causes jumps while maintaining the full range of values. Not to bring up the Little Phatty again but IMO it implements it the right way and once you use it that way you don't need any other implementation - once again IMO ;)

Please let's continue this discussion...I would love to see this implemented on the TI...

Hello All,

I have wanted something in all 3 of my Viri and it seems like a relatively straightforward feature that might even be accomplished over a pint or two :)

The current three knob modes are Jump, Snap and Relative.

Jump immediately sets the value to the current knob position.
    Snap waits for you to pass the position before altering the value.
    Relative changes the value "as much as it can" given the position of the knob.

My request would be a new mode called "Scale" which would work similar to the Moog Little Phatty in that it scales the value as the knob moves. An example:

Assume the value of the param is 50 (of 0...127) and the knob position is currently 100. As I move the knob clockwise towards the max position (127) the value would change between 50 and 127 but scaled to the actual knob position movement of 100 to 127. So in the space of 27 positional increments of the knob the value will actually go from 50 through 127.

Another example might be if the value is 100 and the knob is at 50...the knob can turn clockwise until it gets to the 100 before it effects the value. However, if the knob is turning counter-clockwise it would adjust the value in the same scaling fashion as above - only towards zero.

Regardless of knob position or param value, if you were to tweak the knob back and forth over a small position change the value and knob position would eventually become 1:1 as they slowly "meet in the middle."

The advantage of this mechanism is that you avoid abrupt jumps but you ALSO get the full range of the knob as you would expect without having to turn one way then start turning the other way, etc. It works wonders for tweaking on the Little Phatty and I would love for the TI to have this feature. This is really the only thing I feel is missing from the TI as a performance synth - for me :)

Who do I need to send gifts to?

THANKS! :)

<joe>

Thanks EMiL...glad to know I'm not alone in my thinking :)

Hey Tarekith...glad to share this coming back experience with you! I figure the Snow (over the TI2 options) will leave me room for the you-know-what coming you-know-when from Elektron! :)

I started about 5 years ago with the Indigo 2 which I really loved - talk about a tank! Then the TI came out so I sold the Indigo for the TI Keyboard. Had that for a few years and then sold it in the past 6 months or so because I was trying to downsize and figured I needed a break from the Virus sound.

Well, one thing leads to another and I started hearing some of the Elektron users (of which I am one) using the Virus and the Blofeld in unique ways that I wanted to explore. Since I already knew what the Virus had to offer I decided to go with the Blo - big mistake for me. The one I got had trouble from minute 1 - USB didn't work at all - MIDI barely worked - I was completely bummed and uninspired by it so the helpful chap at Nova Musik took it back and I told him to send me the Snow instead. Got it just a few days ago and have been blown away since - I know the Virus sound and architecture but am even more impressed with it all this time around. Not to mention the packaging and the entire presentation of the hardware was miles above the Blo. Not to start any arguments - I've heard wonderful things from the Blo - but I was turned off by it maybe due to bad luck - anyway - here I am...

Since I'm messing more with the Elektron boxes with the Snow and avoiding playing it with a keyboard controller I find I'm enjoying hitting it from this other angle - not stuck playing prog synth riffs on it anymore but instead exploring new sonic territory via the audio inputs and Elektron-sequenced lines controlling it. I'm amazed at how well they all sound together and the depth that the Virus adds to this setup - couldn't be happier with the Snow - even the 4 part limitation doesn't bother me - The Elektrons have taught me that limits are good. Some might argue that those same things that are considered limits are the very thing that allow you to stretch and explore alternative methods to extend an instrument beyond themselves.

Thanks Timo, Marc and everyone else behind this great product...

Hello All,

Happy to be back in the Virus fold...

In playing with my brand new Snow I've noticed on some patches one of the soft knobs will display the words "Arpeggiator Swing Factor" with no values when turned instead of what they SHOULD display. For example, RAM 7 7-1 GamelandRD - the PAN VALUE 2 Knob adjusts PAN properly but displays the little "popup" outlined area with the words "Apeggiator Swing Factor" at the top (line 1 of 3) and no value whereas normally these knobs display the param name on line 2 and the value on line 3.

This may be addressed in a later beta but I thought I would report it since it seems to be an issue in 3.1. I've found it in about 4 patches as I've been working through them. I'll post more if you need more examples.

EDIT: Also happens on Value 2 (Mix) for RAM 8 6-8 StarLiteRD

EDIT: Also happens on Value 2 (Pan) for RAM 8 7-2 SunDial RD

EDIT: also happens on Value 3 (Delay) for RAM 8 8-5 Tutorial 5

<joe>