Beiträge von Kithara

I've been having severe timing problems in certain scenarios combining TI Virus Control USB with my Elektron Analog Rytm Mkii (no overbridge). Here's the setup:

• Ableton Live 10 with a Clarett Thunderbolt 4Pre with 64 samples latency (4.5 ms) (no glitches). I am using 2015 MacBook Pro 16Gb RAM 1Tb SSD and high end processor.
    • Virus Control USB stereo outs 1,2 and 3 and processing the monitored audio in Ableton - works perfectly
    • Adding to that VST and devices hosted in Ableton (Up to this point in the set up this works perfectly on my Clarett 4Pre)
    • Adding Analog Rytm Mkii (no overbridge) with either USB MIDI or DIN MIDI with Note receive, Note send, Transport Rcv, Clock Rcv, program change etc... (This is where timing breaks down badly)

Observations:

• Virus sequenced with Virus Control from ableton and my casio sequenced and monitored and processed in ableton and NO AR - was perfect timing
    • AR running patterns and receiving sequenced program changes from ableton and with NO Virus Control and my casio sequenced and processed in Ableton - was perfect timing.
    • Combine Virus Control and AR (with or without Casio and all hell breaks loose with AR delayed a 16th note whether it is a pattern playing or my fingers drumming on the AR. TI Stays in perfect time with the metronome.
    • if I don't monitor AR in Ableton and unmute the mixer channels in my 4Pre to hear what's going on, once again the timing is perfect!!!. This is not a solution because I have no effective way to mix/eq/compress/process the AR channels.
    • When I switch Virus TI to multi-mode and monitor the ins in Ableton sending MIDI (without Virus USB present or Virus Control in the project) and keeping sending patterns to AR and monitoring 10 channels works perfectly. This could work but I really want to leverage the Virus Control sound design workflow.
    • I also tried an iPAD running a groove box (Rozetta XOX in a midi slot in AUM running into Ruismaker in AUM) running under Ableton Link. This also worked perfectly only when Virus Control was removed from the project
    • I then added the AR to the iPAD groove box (above) and this too worked perfectly. (essentially AR is a groovebox like RuisMaker in AUM).

The common thread is Groovebox (AR/Ruismaker in AUM) + Virus Control monitored is a problem. So I started to think maybe the combination is causing MIDI clock problems. So I took the midi port on my iCM4+ to AR and set a delay of -92.5 ms! I now had perfect timing and then I applied the same clock delay to the iCM4+ midi channel going to my iPAD where the RuisMaker standalone app receives MIDI clock. They all work in synch with TI virus control now, but really? 92.5 ms negative delay?

What is going on here? Is TI Virus Control messing with the clock somehow? I wonder if this number I found through experimentation will be constant.

Unfortunately the fix above did not solve my Ableton Link timing problems; they were still sneakers in the dryer so to speak. I might be able to figure something out with Audiobus, I think something like MODSTEP now becomes essential to solve this problem.

From another angle I noticed that if I didn't monitor in Ableton (without the midi clock tweak) there was no problem because somehow the midi clock didn't effect it - I'm not sure why. . That could be acceptable in some scenarios but this will require buying an audio interface/mixer like the SoundCraft MTK 12(or 22 if I find a place for it in my studio) to EQ, compress and balance the un monitored channels . When I record without monitoring I get perfect stems! Ideally I will find a solution without going to multi-mode or buying a mixer.

@oliAtBass

Thanks for that tip. I was able to do what you said in multi mode. The funny thing is that when you use Virus Control it sets the virus to SEQ mode and also is able to save the outputs per part. That is not available when you in pure SEQ mode without Virus Control.

One of the reasons I wanted this option was if I wanted to sequence from iPAD (Rozeta suite, MODSTEP etc..) or hardware sequencer (someday, Digitakt or Oktatrakt Mk Next, SQUARP)

Another reason was because of issues I have with timing problems in certain scenarios. I'm going write a separate topic on this but in short:

• Virus Control mixing in Ableton using USB outs (works perfectly)
    • VST and devices hosted in Ableton (Up to this point in the set up this works flawlessly on my Clarett 4Pre)
    • Analog Rytm Mkii (no overbridge) with either USB MIDI or DIN MIDI with Note receive, Note send, Transport Rcv, Clock Rcv, program change etc... (This is where timing breaks down badly)

Observations:

• Virus sequenced with Virus Control from ableton and my casio sequenced from ableton and NO AR - was perfect timing
    • AR running patterns and receiving sequenced program changes from ableton and with NO Virus Control and my casio sequenced from Ableton - was perfect timing.
    • Combine Virus Control and AR (with our without Casio and all hell breaks loose with AR delayed a 16th note whether it is a pattern playing or my fingers drumming on the AR. TI Stays in time with the metronome.
    • if I don't monitor AR in Ableton and unmute the mixer channels in my 4Pre to hear what's going on, once again the timing is perfect!!!. This is not a solution because I have no effective way to mix/eq/compress/process the AR channels. My potential solution here is to buy an audio interface/mixer like the SoundCraft MTK 12 (or 22 if I find a place for it in my studio).
    • When I switch Virus TI to multi-mode as you suggested and monitor the ins in Ableton sending MIDI (without Virus USB present or Virus Control in the project) and keeping AR settings the same it also works perfectly. This could work but I really want to leverage the Virus Control sound design workflow.

The common thread is AR + Virus Control monitored is a problem. I hope i can find some solution without going to multi-mode or buying a mixer.

I would like to sequence my TI2 desktop but not use Total Control for some workflows. I also want to use all three analog stereo output pairs. Let's say i want to use digitakt, modstep or Xequencer to sequence three or more parts. I understand how to do this. Put the TI in SEQ mode and load up patches into the parts from 1 to N. Then have the digitakt or iOS sequencer send on those channels to a DIN cable connected to the TI2 on the correct MIDI channel. That part is easy to understand and works great.

The part I'm not getting is achieving 3 stereo outs. I want to route the six mono / three stereo outs of the TI2 to a mixer so I can integrate with my AR mkii. I can only get a maximum of two stereo outs.

I can get three stereo outs in Ableton using total control; I can easily map the audio for a part to any of the analog outs in the common section. However when I am away from my DAW and menu dive into the desktop using the edit button I do not see an equivalent section. I see the 'surround' section so I played with that. I can change the output to 1LR, 2LR, 3LR and any of the mono channels as well. I soon figured out that I could change balance from -64 to +63. The result would be that if I turn it to +63 I can send all the audio to the selected stereo channel. Great! Assume I sent to 3LR

Of course I store the patch thinking this would stick to the part or the patch. If this works analogously to the total control this setting should be saved for the part not the patch but I store anyway.

When I go to the next part and wanted to send to 2LR and turn balane to +63 this would appear to work but when I went back to the previous part, that part was now sending audio to 2LR and the value I had earlier made 3LR is now 2LR. In both cases the balance was remembered. I had hoped I was saving the output setting per part because the balance was being remembered however whenever I changed it it stuck for all the parts.

In the end I can send audio to a maximum of two stereo channels. I can always send the audio of a part to 1/2 by making the balance -64 even when the output is set to anything other than 1/2. I can always send to one of the other stereo channels by setting balance to +63.

Is this expected behavior? Am I missing a something?

Kithara