Beiträge von aMUSEd

Yes that's what I tend to fall back on (using NI Kore 2 to map controls) but sometimes it's nice to program sounds on the hardware direct instead of firing up the computer

Yes I could once I plan to use it in a sound, but it's no good if I am designing sounds in the first place and just trying out what works. For that I need one hand on the keyboard, another tweaking knobs, but that leaves me with no hands to press shift. A latch function would be a great addition.

imho this should be something that the bank manager in control should be able to do - I would love to be able to batch assign patches to a category or favourite slot. At the moment I don't use this feature as it's too fiddly doing it one-by-one in the hardware when I have so many patches. I do save my own "favourites" banks but that doesn't resolve the underlying issue.

is there a way to make shift stay down when using the Ti hardware only I keep running out of hands? - it's impossible to do things like move the ringmod while playing keyboard at the same time.

live - i use external instrument, then you can realtime freeze track.
    ( id assumed you could freeze virus control track - no?)

No, the freeze in Live is offline. Can't see a realtime option unfortunately. I have not tried the external instrument plugin but isn't that essentially bypassing the control plugin anyway?

That's not right.

Once I am satisfied with a composition, I record my Virus tracks to audio, and then disable the Virus Control plug-in. From that point on you can real-time render in Logic 9 (and X).

D.

If you have recorded tracks to audio already and disabled the plugin why would you even need to do a realtime render? I scenario I am referring to is before you get to that stage, when you have recorded tracks using the control plugin and need to render them to audio. If there is another way I would like to know but as far as I can see, in Logic, there is only the realtime bounce/render, there doesn't seem to be a freeze or bounce-in-place that works in realtime. On Mac it seems only Studio One does that out of the hosts I have (on Windows Sonar does it too).

I've been testing out hosts on Mac for their support for the Ti and so far Studio One seems to provide the best experience for the way I work. I'm mainly interested in stability, latency and rendering workflow - I don't use the Ti multi timbrally or sidechaining so didn't test those things. Here are the comparisons:

Tracktion 5 - unacceptable latency levels, unstable and renders tend to be distorted - also it has an offline "autorender" feature that kicks in as soon as you open a render window if you don't disable it which causes the Ti to switch itself off and I had to restart the whole project to get it working again.

Ableton Live - no realtime freeze/render - you have to render by recording live from a midi to audio track

Logic 9 - acceptable latency, relatively stable, no realtime freeze, realtime render only possible if you export to a file then reimport into project

Reaper - latency is very noticeable, Reaper has a rather unique way of handling audio that reduces CPU load by background pre rendering, so it's possible I if I disabled that and tweaked the audio settings I could get latency up to an acceptable level but then that would impact on other plugins. Freeze seems to be just offline but there is a realtime option in the audio export. Seems stable enough.

Studio One - very stable so far, latency very good without needing further tweaks of settings and what I liked most was it now has (since version 2.5 I believe) a "convert to audio" feature (basically freeze by another name) for each track that automatically determines if the render needs to be offline or realtime - that is a brilliant feature that makes rendering tracks from the Ti a seamless process. S1 also supports for most plugin formats - VST, VST3 and AU and supports them fully (unlike some other hosts that seem to just support parts of the plugin standards)

So as said, not tested how easy it is to setup multitimbral usage of side chaining in S1 but if anyone else has experiences of this please add to this thread. It would be cool if Access made S1 an officially supported host - they seem to have gone out of their way to make working with plugins like the Ti control a painless experience. The convert to audio feature is a godsend.

USB 1.0 ports haven't been manufactured since at least 2002 at least since the USb 2.0 Standard was introduced in 2000.

From a hardware standpoint the port on the TI is 2.0 however it runs at 1.0 speed. I even had a look at the port chipset on my Pølar myself when I disassembled it earlier this year to fix a failed pitch bend wheel and the port is indeed 2.0.

So in essence the TI could run at much higher speeds but its firmware disallows it.

If it was possible in a firmware update you would think they would have done so by now

I can't seem to install this at all on my desktop PC. The installer keeps getting to the point after it has asked me to make sure my Virus is connected (it is) and then after installing a few files and registering the software etc it performs a roll back. Problem is it doesn't even say why so I can't easily fix it.

I just updated and wish I hadn't - something is up - all I get from the USB outputs is either silence when using the Virus ASIO or static noisy sounds when using my Kore interface unless I select the D button and bypass it, and even then the latency is dreadful and the sync just as bad. I'm not sure if the drivers were even updated during install

Midi control of the desktop is only killed if you have the virus midi input selected in your DAW. Deselect that and you can play direct to your hardware Ti not the Control plugin while still using the library features. I really don't see what else you need that isn't already there. All the stuff about latency etc is irrelevant if you are just using the librarian features for patch management etc and not playing anything.

Why? You can do this now. Just load it in a simple host like Savihost or if for some reason that's not working for you, Cantabile (and there are several other lite hosts) and use the librarian features. If you're just using it as a librarian the other issues are not going to be affecting you anyway so I don't see why they are relevant?