Beiträge von puppetinanoose

Does the problem occur regardless which pot you turn? Could be just worn-out potentiometer giving random values (=completely out of range type) and thus 'funkin the display up' :/ - if it happens turning just certain pots, but not others.

Just a quess.

I'd like to add that the pins that have been soldered are not the pins that are connected to the MOD wheels pot. And when I turn the MOD wheel I'm able to measure a variable 0 to 10k ohm resistance at the end of the cable connecting the wheels to the keyboard (after the messed up connector on the pictures), so the MOD wheel should be working. But this added soldering might still be effecting the behaviour.

Id double check that pot that it really does function correctly. Usually when those type of pots wear out or just have crap inside, the resistance might jump all over the place randomly on one point and return "back to normal" once you just turn it (its also easy to miss measuring it) Simply just measure it whilst you turn it really (REALLY) slowly. One thing with the worn out pots is also common, when you apply any pressure to it (bend the mod wheel even little side to side) it might function correctly for that period of time or via versa.

On the pictures you sent, the traces coming from the shorted pins seems to lead nowhere?. They are just hanging on the air, but then again thers no idea where they lead to on the main board. I suppose it could be just a revision of a board also used in earlier models and differs slightly componentwise, this is quite common in electronics just to "quick fix" it rather than start producing completely new PCBs .

Unfortunately things dont work like that, besides would be kinda unnecessary since thers the S/PDIF option which is 24bit and digital. Prolly in the case of OTT its even better than having a 24bit USB. Less noisefloor to be amplified :/

You mean the usb audio? (the dsp itself is 24bit..) I would not know, atleast the company which provided the usb audio solution has a few different I/O configurations for a same chip they use. Lets assume the bandwidth is in full use already with the I/Os you have, increasing the bit depth would just mean you would need to drop the amount I/O..a lot..and just for that people can use OTT via usb and crank the gain up? naaaaaaaaah...nobody truly wants that..

I think I got it now ;( now, the virus usb is 16bit interface meaning 96db range. Whilst you record / monitor that signal with 24bit (144db range) you can pump up the artefacts (which are in this case just lack of accuracy to interpret such small signal levels) forming way below that 16bit range. This can be seen with a spectrum meter. <- this does not happen using the analog outs which are 24 bit (or happens, but somewhere way below -144db) Obviously OTT type "slight" gain boost will bring up those snap-crackle-pops and every little noisefloor/glitch/whatnot will just add to that ofcourse.

Makes sense? :/

Anyways, old age will get everyone eventually.

As far as I can figure it out, its just the insane amount of gain. If you happen to introduce ANY tiny bit of noise etc. you will get really ugly sounding artefacts. So the gain knobs are your friends after all. OTT does not seem to be any ordinary compressor / expander, not sure if it was originally meant as a distortion stomp box ^^

Oh yeah, another thing is that the OTT seems to try to sustain high frequencies to oblivion and beyond. So only needs a "click" at start with too much velocity (or gain) and it will continue to produce those artefacts even without any input, a just key pressed. But I quess thats a feature, working as intended and not a bug.

So okiedokie, I downloaded the OTT and was able to reproduce the artefacts / "bugging". Its has really nothing to do with Virus TI, just plain and simple output levels. <- the reason why a different vst might not produce the artefacts and the virus will, or via versa. They differ and it seems OTT is particularly "sensitive" to that, youll need just a tiny nugde of too much input gain, and the thing will flip and starts to produce really annoying sounding artefacts. This will happen regardless from what you input to the OTT. Even a rendered "perfect" 256 samples long sinewave did the same thing (and there really is not any "noise" etc in that) , so its not USB noise nor any of the suggested above.

Just adjust the input gain from the OTT to more suitable level, and you are free from the artefacts (play your stuff at full velocity and adjust the input gain from OTT until the artefacts are gone)

Now, thers more weirdness to the OTT and regarding midi velocities, it is a really weird plugin have to say that. Only other FX I could get similar artefacts was a distortion ?( with insane amount of gain, I had to use several plugins to crank it up enough.

Hope that helps.

I find it very disappointing that the virus isn't compatible with catalina after nearly a year of it being released. Nearly all other audio companies have respected their customers by making sure their products are compatible and working with Catalina.

There's a new operating system coming soon for Mac, it's been that long.

It's wise and suggestible to not upgrade the OS when they FIRST come out, give companies a chance to get their products working with the new OS, but this is just beyond belief from Access.

Skinny-Pop-Popcorn-main-image.jpg

8o

correct, the only thing the left input ring is connected is the normalizing/switch pin of the right input socket. The right input ring is not connected to anything

that would be a resistor between the ground and the ring on an output socket (my virus uses 470ohm resistors for this), but that's not the circuitry that cancels the noise. That circuitry would have to be connected to the inputs and it would have to subtract the ring input signal from the tip input signal usually using an opamp.

this is what I was pointing to. The left virus input is a stereo input rather than a balanced mono input

Noise canceling is all about the impedance, how noise gets canceled in balanced systems. It does not require any extraordinary components/circuits.

Now, if you are to use the 1 input as mono, you need to use "mono" jack (and yes it will still be "balanced" impedance wise as the impedance balancing only needs 1 hot and 1 cold line) Likely the design is meant to be that you can use stereo jack on 1 input to get stereo signal to the Virus, hence why the switching on the jacks. I have not looked inside the Virus, but just on top of my hat thinking.

To confuse things even more, there are stereo jacks which are (or can be) used as differential signals as well :) TRRS jacks with tip - two rings - and a sleeve/shield (although I have not seen used in my life anywhere), there are servo balancing and much more..

and how about when the ring is not connected to anything?

About that (if you are referring to the Virus), Im fairly sure that they are. After all if the stereo signal you routed to the 1 input gets routed back to the other channel...they dont jump through air :)

and how about when the ring is not connected to anything?

also what about stereo inputs? their rings are not connected to ground, but surely they can't be considered balanced, or can they?

Perhaps not, but the subtraction is still needed in the input circuitry for the noise to get cancelled

Stereo is a different thing completely (connector wise anyway), it has left signal (tip) and right signal (ring). and sleeve(or shield), which is grounded. If the system is unbalanced. In balanced that sleeve goes thru the "impedance balancing" to ground <- that is the circuitry you mentioned, which cancels the noise. It is 0V, but not the same as chassis "ground"

I expect a balanced mono input to subtract the ring signal from the tip signal to create the resulting mono signal. Instead the tip is treated as the left channel of a stereo signal and the ring as the right channel. If I'm wrong here, how then should an unbalanced input differ from a balanced one?In

In unbalanced signal the ring connected directly to ground. In balanced it is not, both ring and tip are equal in impedance towards ground. The ring is connected to a sort of "virtual ground" if you wish. There is no need for that old school tip - ring - ground differential (where you have opposite polarity of the signal in the ring and tip) in order the signal to be "balanced" and (ground)noise canceled.