Beiträge von puppetinanoose

I just tried it and my TI2 desktop doesn't process the input as a balanced signal at all. The inputs on my TI2 are not actually balanced. Furthermore when a stereo signal is plugged into the left TI input the right channel from the stereo signal appears on the right TI input which would be impossible if the TI input was balanced

Eh? Maybe the Corona (not the beer) isolation has melted my head somehow, but..I have no clue what-so-ever how did you expect the one input to "process" the stereo signal?

..or is here some confusion with differential and balanced signals? They are two different things..

Here is some reading for everyone https://www.hairballaudio.com/…balanced-and-differential

That's exactly it! But raising or lowering the buffer size makes literally no difference... So what now?..

By trial and error? Start with all the buffers within your setup at the same amount of samples, and see which combination works out the best? :/ (You know, audio interface at 128 - virus at 128, audio at 256 - virus at 128 and via versa...and so on..) Who really knows in which way a particular daw should be set up in/and with a particular hardware.

Is the "timing issue" something like this? (As I am starting to be completely out of the loop what is being complained..)

About Cubase for example (its slightly old, things tend to change to better over time, but..yeah :/:(

"For instance, if you play regular 16th notes at 120bpm, each note will occur at an interval of 125ms, but when a soft synth is played 'live' through an audio interface with a buffer size of 5ms you'll perhaps hear them with spacings such as 125ms, 125ms, 125ms, 130ms, 120ms, 130ms, 125ms and so on, where occasional notes get shoved into adjacent buffers. For most people this is still scarcely audible, but if you raise the buffer size to 20ms then you might hear a string of 'live' notes emerging with spacings of 120ms, 120ms, 120ms, 140ms, 120ms, 120ms, 140ms and so on: the 'granularity' has increased."

"Most sequencers choose not to calculate any offsets within the next buffer relating to 'live' MIDI data — they just quantise them all to the nearest buffer boundary, and rely on the buffers being short enough to mask unwanted rhythmic artifacts. The main reason they do this is to keep every note's MIDI latency as low as possible, but at the expense of extra jitter." - Martin Walker SOS

Worst (in my opinion and many others anyway..) case would be Ableton Live. Theres even a special mention about it in the Virus OS release notes. "• Ableton Live still changes MIDI timing of tracks recorded with Virus Control instantiated"

Heres the link, if someone wants to read on.. https://www.soundonsound.com/t…ving-midi-timing-problems

Simple googlyeyeing "midi timing problems" will give you more insight which SW/HW have these problems and how possibly fix them 8)

Edit: more about jitter in synths https://www.innerclocksystems.com/litmus

Hope this will give you the tools to sort out your "timing issues"

well I can confirm that it doesn’t. I’m using the audio outs and the Virus just can’t get the timing right. It’s not my DAW. My audio interface has a direct monitoring button and the timing is exactly the same when I press that. So the timing is off BEFORE it enters my Audio Interface!

This is something my DAW can’t compensate for since it can’t predict when the Virus magically decides it wants to f*** up the timing again. It only compensates for the time it takes for plugins to do their processing, which is set amount and does not change.

EDIT: What's weird is that I ran the same project on my Mojave Mac (using the audio outs) and here the timing isn't as bad. It's noticeably worse in Catalina and I can't find a way to fix it.

Here is some interesting reading why that might happen, https://www.gearslutz.com/boar…-crimson.html#post9852296 the part about core audio and bit accurate drivers. It does not however offer any solutions for your timing problems, but maybe some further information how to avoid it.

here's my thoughts... I just went to a couple sites like Sweetwater and a couple others that sell music gear. yes it is fact still being sold. so with that being said..that means that this company is still making money off of this thing. it would be one thing if it had been discontinued for quite a while but they are still currently making money off of it. looks pretty bad that they haven't updated the drivers

Nice, have to buy one. Preferably the desktop version to go along with my Polar Darkstar.

Perhaps a rather silly idea for removing the 60hz hum, but have you tried to unplug your Macbook pro's power adapter? Theres about gazillion possible reasons for ground loops and humming of that sort. incl. your cables, inputs of your audio interface, tv, ac and so on. Or maybe its just a dying power adapter.

windows 10 is the worst operating system i ever used in my life, so many bugs! i will not debate it, after 20 years of experience on building audio pcs i have my preferences, anyway not sure were the problem is since ONLY the operating system has changed, same cubase, same hardware, yes disabling overclock profiles in bios and power management, dcp, etc etc etc helped a lot with dropouts and disconnects between cubase and virus but the problem with the patches is stil there. since the hdd is a m2 i suspect that there is some syncing issue between the drive and virus usb.(probably caused by the chipset) i get the same error if i delete the whole folder with the patches so my theory is that for an instant virus vst cannot read the hdd. if access was a company that cares for their customers they would spend some time upgrading their vst on a hardware we spend a fortune to purchase.

Just trying to put some sense into your quest to get the patches running, thats all.

So what did the cubase crash log say exactly?

My sincere apologies for assuming that common sense is not a superpower.

My contribution was: Have you tried it with another daw? If there problem is not there -> the issue is with cubase -> report to Steinberg (you have the crash log with details what caused the crash) -> maybe they can/will patch it! With your 20 years of "audio pc" (whatever that is) building experience you should know this, and also that you cannot connect a HDD to a M.2 slot, also your M.2 lanes are not shared per say with the usb controller(s), so the external usb device can not intervene with your preferred choice of storage device. Most certainly not a specific portion of it, in this case the folder named "patches".

Apple - deprecating hardware compatibility since 2002 8)

Apple products really should come with a warning sticker attached stating.

"Important note: future OS updates may (and most definitely will) brake compatibility and cause other issues with 3rd party software and hardware"

One can not be wondering what January 2020 will bring along, as the hardened runtime will be applied fully, for now its on a grace period. Not to mention the deprecation on OpenGL api, it may be the very next OS update that will brake all the 'again working' plugins for you. Little bit like the sudden death of HAL api, which was working on the still on the final public beta of Catalina but killed (for some reason) in the "final" release of the OS. The very reason why your Virus integration is dead now, and so is Elektron Overbridge. Apple did not exactly mention that the HAL api will be killed. They just killed it.

"Apple updates are lot like a box of chocolates, youll never know what you gonna get" - Forest Gump