Beiträge von pete2019

I'm starting to use my Virus TI2 with a Korg Kronos workstation as the master. I'm well-used to working with MIDI, but I can't figure out what is going on in this particular case.

The problem I have is in getting the Virus to stay on the multi that I have selected. Let's say that I have decided to use '4 Init Multi' for my song. What happens is that, every time I stop the song, the Virus returns to '0 Init Multi' - the first multi - and I have to change it to '4' again.

After a lot of experimentation, I've found a peculiar workaround which kind of works, but which makes no sense. Let's say that I'm still wanting to use '4 Init Multi', and that the Global Channel on the Virus is set to 1. So, on MIDI channel 1 on the Kronos, I have to select a program (patch in Virus-speak) - any program - that ends in 004 (eg Bank A-004, Bank F-004 etc). That way, the multi won't change. I don't know why it works, though.

Doing it doesn't affect the patch I decide to use on the Virus - I simply select the patch on the Virus itself. But if I then want to transmit a program change from the Kronos on that channel during the song, the Virus loses it because the program no longer ends in 004. (I can make program changes using all other channels that I am controlling on the Virus from the Kronos, just not on Channel 1).

The program change issue isn't the important thing here, because I'm using multiple channels and don't always need to make program changes. But I can't understand why it is that I can only get a multi to stick by using this weird method, and I would appreciate it if anyone can tell me where I'm going wrong, and how I could do things better.

Hi Everyone,

I am a complete newbie to the Virus TI2, and am trying to understand the best way of managing patches and transferring them to and from my PC. From the promotional stuff I read before buying it, it looked as though I could export patches from the PC to the Virus, and vice versa, over USB using the Virus Control software, but I now learn that the VC isn't standalone but is a plug-in to be used with a DAW.

The problem is that I am hardware only, and don't use a DAW. My main instrument is a Korg Kronos, which transfers patches very easily using USB, and to be honest I have never got on with transferring synth patches using Sysex and MIDI-Ox - too unreliable. I really don't want to go back there...

I've found one or two standalone librarians (Mystery Islands, Ctrlr etc), which might do the job but look as though they won't work with USB. Judging from what little I have read on the forum, there seems to be some frustration that Access haven't produced a simple standalone librarian.

So, if I can't do it that way, it looks as though I will have to install a DAW of some sort. I haven't gone down that route before, because I get sick of staring at screens in my ordinary life and have no wish to do it when I am making music. I wouldn't be using the DAW to make music, and the only aspect of VC I want is the patch librarian and transfer part, since I will edit and create patches on the Virus itself.

I've looked at Pro Tools First, but I don't think it will install third-party plug-ins. I've just looked at the free Cakewalk by Bandlab, which says that it does accept them. Have any other users used this programme in conjunction with VC, and does it work okay? Or does anyone have any other suggestions for a standalone librarian or cheap DAW that might help me resolve this problem? I'd appreciate any help.

Pete.