Beiträge von JohnBurns

Hi
    Can anyone help walk me through how to connect my virus Ti2 through my focusrite sapphire pro 40 and from there run it into ableton? I have no idea how to do this. Connecting and routing is not my forte at all. The only way Ive ever been able to get any sound from my virus is to connect the virus directly to my computer via the usb port. I''ve also reached out to the guys at focusrite to see if they can help walk me through it at all, and am awaiting a reply from them. The virus vst can't find my hardware when I try and connect it through the pro 40; It only can find it when I have the usb connected to my computer. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance
    Kris

I have a FocusRite Saffire Pro14 - and all works perfectly.

How you connect your Virus to your SP40 will depend on what other things you have in your rig, and if you want to take advantage of the 3 separate stereo outs of the Virus.

Assuming you are using just the one stereo output from your virus and that you have the Virus connected to the Mac/PC with the USB cable:

1 - Connect the FireWire cable to your SP40 and the other end to your Mac/PC
    2 - Connect your monitors to SP40 Output1/2
    3 - Connect Virus Out1 L to SP40 Input 3 on rear
    4 - Connect Virus Out1 R to SP40 Input 4 on rear
    5 - Start up your Virus
    6 - Start up your DAW

I don't use Ableton, but once this is all connected, the inputs from the SP40 should be visible to you within your DAW as something like In3 In4.

When you play your Virus, Ableton should see the MIDik and be able to record it and send it back on a track, and Ableton should also be able to record the audio received from your Virus on In3/4.

Voila... let me know if this helps!

I have a Ti2 connected to a pa speaker (active) via output 1 Left
    I have an Akai Advance 49 hooked up to the virus. Midi out > Midi in on the virus. Cable is tested and good. No sound. I tried both single and multi mode.
    Midi Global channel is 1, Midi device Id is 1.

Any ideas?

So you're using the Akai for MIDI, couple of things to check here.

1 - Do you hear the virus when you press the keys on the Virus itself (not sure if you have a Ti2 keyboard or desktop version!)
    2 - Does your PC/Mac receive MID from the Akai? Try installing Midi Monitor - which will allow you to easily see any MIDI messages being sent to/from your PC/Mac
    3 - Is the actual patch you're using to try this set to Out 1/2 on the Virus? (Patches can be set to Out1 L/R, USB1 L/R, Out2 L/R, USB2 L/R, Out3 L/R, USB3 L/R)
    4 - Can you get sound out to your PA from your DAW using another synth?

So take maschine out of the equation for now. The issue I'm having now is that I load up virus in logic, I have selected 4 tracks when I load the software plugin. I put 4 different sounds I can hear by selecting either 1,2,3,4 track in logic. The issue is I am trying to get separate volume controls for each. I added 2 additional aux in the mixer section. When I move the volume next to the track, it moves all 4 sliders. How do I get this to be independent of one another.

Sorry guys, I'm not very smart with this stuff.

[Blockierte Grafik: https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15401125_1835095966767632_646409804801409388_n.jpg?oh=a4d26b951101b8ce9254d7339ae83b2e&oe=58ED2970]

Hi James - to change the volumes of each Virus track, use the patch volume sliders in each of the 16 tracks in Virus Control - currently in your pic, they are all the same value and you can see them under the Load/Save buttons for each part.

When you add the additional Aux to use the extra 3 stereo outs from the Virus, the sliders in Logic amend the volume for ALL patches using that Aux. So - the way you amend volume on each Virus part is in VC.

Hope this helps.

I bought my VirusTI 9 years ago. I also bought a Maschine about 4 years ago.

My virus is still in my rig. Maschine... got rid of it 2 years ago.

You didn't buy a paperweight. Don't knock it when it's not the synth that is the issue for what you're trying to accomplish. It's Maschine.

Hey all, posted this on Logic forums too.

Just thought I'd pop a post here to make a suggestion. If you're in need of a brilliant control surface, and you have an iPad, you really must take a look at the Logic Remote app. I had used it about a year or so ago, but didn't really invest enough quality time using it to figure out exactly what it was capable of, so just used it as a glorified mixer etc. How wrong I was!

Currently, I am finding myself wanting to experiment and play around with with sequencers etc, and thought I'd take a look at what sequencer apps are available for the iPad. So a few nights ago I was messing on my TI, remembered Logic Remote, so fired it up to see what I could re-discover. WOW! I was aware of the mixer and other pages and simple controls within Logic Remote, but what I was not aware of is the fact that using Logic Remote I have access to ALL the synth parameters in the selected synth/softsynth track - right under my fingertips!!!

I discovered this by accident really. When in mixer view, I spotted the 'VirusTI' instrument name, which when you click on in within Logic opens up the Virus Control (or specific synth control if using any other synth for example), but when you double tap it on the iPad, it opens up pages containing all the synth parameters (you know what I mean, cutoff1, cutoff2, osc pitch, portamento and all the others et al...) for you to edit!!

I was amazed... right there, in front of me, were ALL the parameters on the TI patch, available to me in REAL TIME, WOW! Pages and pages of them, all adjustable with ease using sliders. Now I know these parameters are available via the dials and buttons on the front of the synth itself, and also in Virus Control in ones DAW when it is open, but to also have this available on the iPad is immense. Plus it sets all this up over a WiFi MIDI port, with no cables from iPad to Mac needed at all. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Also... If you play the piano keyboard on the iPad, the MIDI data is sent to the selected Logic track too!!

If you haven't used this, and you have an iPad, I seriously suggest you take a look! Shout if you don't have an iPad but are considering purchasing one and want more info, I am happy to pop up some screenshots and explain more if needed.

Hi All

Am I right in thinking if I want to add patches I've downloaded or created - to the currently empty banks I have on my TI (which are T, U, V, W, X, Y) - all I need to do is use Virus Control Centre and burn the selected patches to flash ROM?

I know I've had my TI for 9 years, and I should know this, but I've not done a 'burn' before and wanted to check here first.

Ta muchly!

I ended up having to send my Virus back (I bought it used, and it has a lot of problems), but I have a new one coming, so I'll try this out, when I get it. When you say "the keyboard", you mean the controller I use for the Virus, not the keyboard on the Minilogue, right?

Damn, that's bad luck. Hope the replacement is a pristine model. I am enjoying your posts, learning a lot from the questions you're asking.

Sure Andrew!

I happened to have a spare Dell external 240v 12v DC power supply which matched exactly what was needed. I simply removed the TI cover, removed the power supply which was connected by a standard power supply connector, fixed the replacement DELL power supply in place, made sure the cable was secured to the chassis with duct tape and some glue, and voila!

Shout if you need more info, I'd be happy to take the cover off again and take some snaps for you.