Beiträge von AtonyB

I dont think there is a claim of that many - for the TI the claim was ~80. So if you use both OSCs thats 40 notes, unison of 2 brings you down to 20. Using effects and analogue filters erodes voice processing power further - it all adds up.

There are many ways to trim off the demand of a sound without radically affecting how it sounds, such as trimming a bit off the release or decay time on the reverb, turning off analog boost and so forth.

It was the pleasure principle tour he did some presets for.

You can also check out some tracks done by Tubeway Days on youtube - thats my Gary Numan tribute act ( http://www.youtube.com/antonybarton ).

The Virus is certainly the best synth for the job if you want to recreate the sounds of Numan - and I guess for most of his popular tracks the difficulty lies in getting the sound right, rather than playing the keys. Many times I have looked to fined other things to help widen the Numanesque sounds I can do, but every time I find the Virus can do it just as well or better.

Matt Jessup has a video on how to get the 'polymoog Vox Humana' sound on the virus so that might be a satisfying start - although you might want to get your head round the mod matrix and LFOs on the virus, first. Persist and you will succeed!

Most important of all... Have fun!

I don't rate the arturia stuff at all - their emulations don't appear to be very complex at all, just rough architectural clones rather than actually mimicking the behaviour in any great detail. The virus seems to recreate the feedback in the analogue filter models by expressing it as an oscillator (which you can crossfade with the filtered output at will - something you can't do on analogue!) - essentially just an unstable pole added to the filter, but with a nonlinear block somewhere in there to get the distortion - its a shame you don't get a pcm version of the filter resonance in the oscillators (maybe you do and I missed it) because its actually a really nice sounding oscillator...

I actually heard an analogue filter having its cutoff modulated with a fast LFO the other day - it sounds awesome, would love to get that sound on the virus...

The ARP Odyssey actually used a XOR logic gate instead of a multiplier for ring modulation - which gave rise to some of its characteristic tone, although its unusual portamento behaviour made it pretty unique, too.

If you want another LFO that is a 'copy' of another but with a function added, thats effectively just another LFO - though maybe a 4th 'slave' LFO might be nice with independant speed control (like osc3).

Interestingly, if an ABS(bipolar LFO) option were available, this would give you something like the 2x speed operation, but an odd waveform... OR you could square it, but that would give you a phase offset...

Maybe a threshold control for things like keytracking so you can effectively have a key split, rather than a gradual change... that would be interesting...

I would have to get my head around exactly what you are doing to even be able to guess - I just thought it might be worth a tweak given how immediate the controls are...

You can transpose the oscillators between notes, i guess, depending on whether you are using 1 and 2 or just 1 or 2 you could also flip between. Perhaps set up the soft knobs to give you the desired change as an when...

Im not sure you follow. By default the oscillators on the Virus are set to vary by one semitone per semitone (i.e. normal tuning), BUT you can vary this so it is less (the exact extent to which im not sure) - possibly 1/32nd of a semitone per semitone is the limit assuming it is linear. Further keytracking in the mod matrix might allow you to get further control - perhaps even linking to note velocity can get you more still.

Can't you achieve microtonal tuning by having a really small value on the oscillator pitch keytracking (in the oscillator settings). That way you just need notes not pitch bend messages and it can all be on one channel... I don't know if you can get down to the same resolution of pitch variation, however...

Agreed, this is why the Moog was so popular to some for basslines as it was capable of providing a lot of bass very quickly to get that characteristic punch in the face attack - and the wonderful Moog ladder filter which give great contour to the tones. I also agree that it will never sound exactly like anything or cover the whole sound space of a particular synth - BUT the fact that it will sound 95% like a miniMoog one minute then 95% like a polymoog the next (or at the same time!) is invaluable.

I'm an active remixer in the US. Love the sounds out of the virus but, have not used it yet on one track. I still have faith that Marc, and his team will get the TI perfect with Lion, iMac, and Logic Pro 9.

I'm perpetually perplexed by people who throw the baby out with the bath water on this one. Ok, so you might not have it working seamlessly in TI mode - so just use it in standalone, like you do any other hardware synth... Even if you exclude the TI aspect the Virus TI is still by far the best synth out there (or at least one of if you want to argue :P ).

I'd be disappointed with my virus if I was trying to get moog sounds from it!

Less disappointed than you would be with the Arturia version - especially if you know how to get those tones out of the virus. I get some nice fat wall-shaking moogy squares out of the Virus no problem.